cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Can anybody give me an estimate?

RJL
Explorer
Explorer
Below listed MH. Gonna start programming our new Garmin GPS Sunday in preparation for our trip back north next Friday. How tall would you think our rig is with an in motion satellite dish?

Just being lazy, watching the Pitt game, having a cocktail on vacation and thought I'd ask.

Thanks

Bob
2010 Damon Challenger 368, F-53 Chasis
2010 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon unlimited, Toad
2018 Ram 1500 4x4, Club Cab, 6.4 bed,3.92 gears, 5.7 HEMI
2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack Wide Body, 6.4 HEMI
23 REPLIES 23

1968mooney
Explorer
Explorer
Ozlander wrote:
15', better safe than sorry

15'6" would be better. :S

Ozlander
Explorer
Explorer
15', better safe than sorry
Ozlander

06 Yukon XL
2001 Trail-Lite 7253

doc_brown
Explorer
Explorer
I input 13โ€™6โ€ and use the truckers input in my Garmin. Still have to be diligent about overpass heights and bridge weight limits. Awareness and common sense still rules the day.
Steve,Kathy and Josh
Morpheus(Basenji)at Rainbow Bridge
2004 40' TSDP Country Coach Inspire DaVinci
350 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S, Air Force One Braking, Blue Ox

BigRabbitMan
Explorer
Explorer
I like my 9'6" rig! No height worries.
BigRabbitMan
Gas to Diesel Conversion project
76 FMC #1046, Gas Pusher became a Diesel Pusher
Discussion thread on this site
"You're never too old to learn something stupid."

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
There was a bridge on I-5 that did not have proper signing. truck hit it knocking down two spans of both north and south bound lanes.
Yes, the signs has minute buffer. When road surface is re-surfaced around 4 inches buff is gone!
Until the rig is measured accurately and a small 3-4 inch addition is done, the OP should stay with a safe measurement.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
I would not trust GPS, directories or even signs for heights of bridges and over passes. They could overlay a roadway two to four inches and it takes time to get signs made and give information to GPS programmers.

The road signs are usually made up assuming a buffer for just such eventualities; exactly how much buffer varies, of course. While I have not studied things at all rigorously, I do not think I have ever heard of any specific collision between a vehicle and an overhead structure where the vehicle height was not greater than the indicated clearance. Suggesting that you need 13'6" clearance for a 12'10" vehicle still seems silly to me, and doubly so for programming a GPS where it may well force it to take a rather longer and more circuitous route than is necessary.

Whatever data is programmed into an given GPS database is, of course, an entirely different matter...hopefully it's generally accurate and mostly complete, but who knows for sure.

Here is an article with some actual vs. claimed measurements from Calgary.

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
I would not trust GPS, directories or even signs for heights of bridges and over passes. They could overlay a roadway two to four inches and it takes time to get signs made and give information to GPS programmers.

And, if the roadway is not level, the 13'6" can become very tight....
Wildmanbaker

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

RJL
Explorer
Explorer
Executive wrote:
Use 27' to be safe. Enjoy your morning cocktail.....Dennis

27'? Sounds like your'e enjoying some "morning cocktails".....Bob
2010 Damon Challenger 368, F-53 Chasis
2010 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon unlimited, Toad
2018 Ram 1500 4x4, Club Cab, 6.4 bed,3.92 gears, 5.7 HEMI
2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack Wide Body, 6.4 HEMI

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
tragusa3 wrote:
Some will surprise you. Allegro Open Road gassers are 12'10". I sure wouldn't want to put in 13' for that! 13'6" would be a minimum.

Why? Is it somehow safer to fit under something with eight inches to spare than it is to fit under it with two inches to spare? Or do you prefer to take a longer route than necessary to avoid an overpass you would fit under without drama?

Obviously, in any case, a GPS's database of clearances is no substitute for looking out for clearance signs etc. on one's own. Since the database isn't entirely trustworthy (if only because new structures could have been built since it was last updated, or construction or maintenance activities temporarily lower overhead clearances, etc.), what is gained by assuming the information it does have is not only incomplete but errant as well?

Is "because" good enough for you? Works for me...
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
RJL wrote:
Below listed MH. Gonna start programming our new Garmin GPS Sunday in preparation for our trip back north next Friday. How tall would you think our rig is with an in motion satellite dish?

Just being lazy, watching the Pitt game, having a cocktail on vacation and thought I'd ask.

Thanks

Bob

I've never seen a brochure without the spec and if something aftermarket was added then it shouldn't be hard to estimate the extra. Playing it safe and us at 12' 10", I don't like going under anything that doesn't say 14ft and have had DW get out and walk me under a bridge or two.
Any less and with resurfacing possibly being done and elevation signs not being up to date, I don't trust them.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
tragusa3 wrote:
Some will surprise you. Allegro Open Road gassers are 12'10". I sure wouldn't want to put in 13' for that! 13'6" would be a minimum.

Why? Is it somehow safer to fit under something with eight inches to spare than it is to fit under it with two inches to spare? Or do you prefer to take a longer route than necessary to avoid an overpass you would fit under without drama?

Obviously, in any case, a GPS's database of clearances is no substitute for looking out for clearance signs etc. on one's own. Since the database isn't entirely trustworthy (if only because new structures could have been built since it was last updated, or construction or maintenance activities temporarily lower overhead clearances, etc.), what is gained by assuming the information it does have is not only incomplete but errant as well?

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
According to specs, it is 12'2" tall, add the satellite heighth and you should be good. For me, I would use the 13'6" recommendation that others have suggested.

www.rvusa.com
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Use 27' to be safe. Enjoy your morning cocktail.....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG