Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I'm back.....

Mike_E_
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well, life sure can be interesting.

DW and I bought our 'dream 5th wheel' just over a year ago. Had a great setup with it and our Ram 3500.
We're about 6 years from retirement, so we thought "We're set" rig wise.
Had some great trips with the combo.

Well.....DW has had to stop work for health reasons, so best laid plans were scrambled.

She was freaking out about how we were going to survive. Knowing all of that extra stress was going to make her worse-off I just told her, "OK, I have a plan. Just sit back and let me do it. There will be no discussion about it, so just trust me."

Put the 5th wheel up for sale and sold it for what we owed on it.
Sold the truck (which we owned outright) within a week of posting it.

We bought an RV lot last spring which I wanted to hold on to because it has proven to be an "oasis" for us during her diagnosis and decision making stages.

So, with the funds from the truck we just had this delivered this week:

It's a '16 Jayflight 38FDDS.
It's HUGE.
Lots of room for our grown (well, sort of grown up :)) kids and their spouses. That's the real blessing in that they all LOVE coming to the lot so we can get lots of family time. This also helps DW with her outlook.

Anyway, won't be towing anytime soon, but we still have a great place and trailer to camp in. DW is lamenting the fact that we won't be travelling as much, but I told her that we'll just try this on for size and see how we like it. If we get the bug to hit the road again maybe we can find a small run-about sometime when she's feeling better.

So back to the travel trailer forum I've come ๐Ÿ™‚
20 REPLIES 20

DM6156
Explorer
Explorer
you know what they say.. happy wife, happy life!

best of luck. happy camping.

kfp673
Explorer II
Explorer II
Love your attitude in general OP. You will have a blast! We had a seasonal site for 8 years and loved it every year. Decided 3 years ago to pull again to do some more traveling, and while we love traveling we talk every year about missing our seasonal site. You will make new friends and have a different kind of experience. Enjoy and keep going down the positive track you are on! Love it!

DustyR
Explorer
Explorer
Like!

We camped in a permanent site for many years. Raised our family there and still managed to travel. The thing is quality time with those you love.
2016 Open Range 319RLS
Tow Vehicle: 2008 Silverado 2500 HD
Duramax, Allison Transmission.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Me: "Well, we were on that highway, but now we've been bumped onto a side-road. Lets not fret, but see where it goes."
Pretty darn good mantra. Hoping you and the fam have a lot of fun at the lot!
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
TurnThePage wrote:
Wish we had a "Like" button. ๐Ÿ™‚

Here you go.....

To the OP:
Check out my signature. my mantra.
Once I came to realize this, my life became a breeze and happy trail no matter what came my way. :C

Happy for you and your family! You will all be in our prayers tonight.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
They always say, if you wanna make God laugh, tell him your "plans" for the future! Hope your wife's medical issues improve. Good job keeping positive amid what must be some tough issues. Great looking rig and site!
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Mike_E_
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ron3rd wrote:
Good job! What are you pulling it with since you sold the 3500?

I won't be pulling it. She's gonna' stay put.
Maybe someday down the road we'll get another truck to pull something a lot smaller, but for now this is where we'll be ๐Ÿ™‚

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Good job! What are you pulling it with since you sold the 3500?
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

BizmarksMom
Explorer
Explorer
That looks like a great compromise to me.
2019 F350 towing a Nash 22H

badsix
Explorer
Explorer
cool, making thing work that's what its all about.
Jay D.

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
Wishing the best for your wife. Glad you found a compromise that works for both of you. Enjoy!
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

Mike_E_
Explorer II
Explorer II
It actually measures out at 40' 3" - yes....HUMUNGOUS ๐Ÿ™‚ I think that's why they call it a "Destination" trailer....get it to it's destination and let it be ๐Ÿ™‚

We actually borrowed the BIL's 38 foot travel trailer a few summers ago to tow around, and I must say that it felt like a 'bit too much'. Nothing frightening or anything, but I could definitely tell it was behind me. He's actually offered it up to us again should we ever want to hit the road again......ain't family great!!!

Come Spring I'm going to get my sons to come up with me to move that aluminum awning over and attach it to the trailer, and who knows, maybe build a partial deck in front of the sliding glass entry doors so our parents don't have such a climb to get up into it.

Totally agree with the lemonade from lemons idea.
DW was like, "Now our plans that we were on track for are all messed up!!??!"
Me: "Well, we were on that highway, but now we've been bumped onto a side-road. Lets not fret, but see where it goes."

Thanks for the kind words folks ๐Ÿ™‚

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
โ€œLikeโ€
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

trailer_newbe
Explorer
Explorer
At 38โ€™ I would assum that model is geared towards seasonal camping? That thing is huge.
2018 Jayco White Hawk 28RL