cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simple question?

Dwight45
Explorer
Explorer
I've found a 2003 Monaco that meets our criteria but we have only seen pictures. It's powered by a Cummins 400hp engine and has 125000 miles on it. Price is mid 60's without any negotiating. It's a 2 day drive to see it so I was just wondering if it would be worth the drive to see it. The 400hp is one of the attractions. What do you think?
Thanks.
Dwight
33 REPLIES 33

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
Dwight45 wrote:
I've found a 2003 Monaco that meets our criteria but we have only seen pictures. It's powered by a Cummins 400hp engine and has 125000 miles on it. Price is mid 60's without any negotiating. It's a 2 day drive to see it so I was just wondering if it would be worth the drive to see it. The 400hp is one of the attractions. What do you think?
Thanks.
Dwight

Only thing close to that price asking would be for the Dynasty Series Regal 400hp, but with that many miles, I wouldn't pay near that.
Don't know of any 36ft 03, with 400hp and with the 300 and 350hp, the price offering would be considerably less.
They can ask whatever they want. Getting it is always the hard part.
Never will figure out, why so many private sellers think that they can get more than high retail, when Dealers even sell them for low book and below on occasion. With no trade in, just flash the cash on the last day of the month, for one that has been sitting there for awhile and see what happens. Did I mention not to be sitting comfortably and being on your way out the door, with check book in hand.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

oldave
Explorer
Explorer
wolfe10 wrote:
Don't know about Monaco, but our 2003 Alpine ABSOLUTELY did have the ISL 400 HP with engine compression brake.

Don't know when the ISL400 was introduced but the story I heard
was in those yrs Monaco was flying high and bought engines in
volume perhaps for a better price .
Sometimes this placed them behind the market when new engines
were introduced by Cummins.
When emission controls were placed on engines people were glad
to get last yrs engines in this yrs coaches .

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
mike brez wrote:
2003 brochure

I missed the page on the 03 Dynasty Princess 36'. 🙂 Somethings rotten in Denmark. Just sayin..

My money says it's a 2002 not an 03. Depending on number of slides it'll either be a PSB or a PST. Mid 60s is way off the mark for that coach....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Don't know about Monaco, but our 2003 Alpine ABSOLUTELY did have the ISL 400 HP with engine compression brake.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
oldave wrote:
I didn't know Monaco ever made a 36 ft Dynasty
Also they didn't introduce the 400 ISL until 04

Don't put any money down until you are sure it's on the up & up .

SCAM ALERT, nothing about this rig adds up...no ISL 400 in 03 and the shortest Dynasty with a tag (03) is 38’.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
I often buy stuff sight unseen. It usually works out.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
Can they stream a walk around and through. Then you would know if the drive to inspect would be worth it. I would not spend that kind of money without eyes on.

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
2003 brochure
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Yup, as as much (or more) to do with expectations than power or power to weight ratio.

We have had DP's from 250 HP to 400 HP and, setting reasonable expectations, have never had a problem.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

gswcgi
Explorer
Explorer
You don't need a 400HP diesel to more than adequately tow a 5,000lb load. I have a 2003 Safari with a 330HP CAT 3126E diesel and tow a Nissan Xterra 4X4 always loaded with a total of 5,000 lbs. I live in Reno and everything is uphill from here. I have never lacked for power even climbing over 8,000' passes here in the western USA.
'03 Safari, DP, 36" Nissan 4X4 toad

oldave
Explorer
Explorer
I didn't know Monaco ever made a 36 ft Dynasty
Also they didn't introduce the 400 ISL until 04

Don't put any money down until you are sure it's on the up & up .

My bro in law found a great deal in Fla that wanted some money to hold
the coach and start the deal
I told him not to send money but go see it, if he wanted I would go with him .
When he told the seller that , he hung up and the ad disappeared along
with the phone .

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
Dwight45 wrote:
A little more information about the 2003 Monaco. It's listed as a Dynasty Princess 36. I couldn't find info on it so I emailed the seller and they said NADA info was available under 2002 stats but I couldn't find a 36' model. The 400 hp and 36' length were the reason I was looking at it. I'll be pulling somewhere around 5 - 6 thousand lbs trailer into some tight spaces. Thanks for all of the responses, I'm still shopping and in no real hurry.
Dwight
It is likely to be a somewhat rare bird since most buyers of diesel pushers go big. That also means at resale time, the 36 foot length may become a sticking point. The 400 Cummins has a good reputation, especially once it gets a few miles on it. Problems generally appear right away. There is no way I would ever buy sight unseen. One person's "good" is another person's "Yuck". You might consider flying to inspect it if indeed your trip is a full two days. Between fuel and hotels the cost would likely be close to the same. An added bonus is we are now into November where weather can be a driving issue if the rig is up north. If you buy, you don't have to worry about getting your car home if you don't have it already set up as a towed.
As a practical matter, the 400 will more than tow your trailer, though you may dog it down on steep inclines. Personally, I doubt the difference in maneuvering ability between a 36 footer and a more common 38 to 40 footer is noticeable. And a 45 with a tag can turn as sharp as a 38 without. Good luck.

Two_Jayhawks
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Dwight45,

I assume you have exhausted all the more local (closer to you) RV dealerships & private sales for a coach that fits your needs? I can't imagine (myself anyway) needing to go that far. But if what you seek is truly that rare so be it. My response is YES YES YES you have to see, smell, drive, inspect, what you are buying. My second coach was purchased used from a buyer 4 hours out from me one way. I made the trip twice & purchased/took delivery on the third visit. That was not a small amount of windshield time.
Bill & Kelli
2015 DSDP 4366 pulling a 21 JL Unlimited Sport
2002 Safari Zanzibar 3906 gone
1995 Fleetwood Bounder 36JD gone

Nutinelse2do
Explorer
Explorer
According to nada, if it’s the triple slide, average RETAIL is 52k.
If its a single slide, average retail is 50k

There are a whole lot of coaches out there with half the mileage. If he is willing to negotiate, it could be worth a trip.
Living Our Dream
MTHRSHP - 2006 KSDP 3912
Cummins 350ISL...Spartan Chassis
ESC POD - 2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Zippy Scoot- 2018 Honda PCX 150 on an Overbilt Lift
Shredder at the Rainbow Bridge - You Will Always Be With Us