cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to a TC

LadyRVer
Explorer
Explorer
Need some input, please. I am getting ready to purchase my first truck camper and have no clue on what I will need added to install it on my truck. Please give me some ideas on what I will definitely need and a few things which would be nice to have.

I have a 2013, Dodge Ram, 5.7 Hemi, CC, LB. I have been told a few things by the dealers...air bags, another said helper springs..which is better and maybe approximately ball park figure cost? Tie downs? Another type better than another brand? Again, what am I looking at $$$?

I read to put a base layer in truck bed....best? Or cheaper and will serve the purpose?

I have been told by a couple of dealers, weight of camper should be maybe no more than 2,500 lbs for my truck.

I am solo, 75 and have been full timing for last 14 years, so not new to rving, just a truck camper.

TIA, for all the help I can get.
27 REPLIES 27

brholt
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ranger Tim wrote:
The Wolf Creek has two small fans that blow air from the cabin into the basement and over the tanks. If it isn't warm in the cabin, it won't be warm in the tanks. The fans only run when the heater is running. I wish it was switched independently so I could use them when plugged into shore power and running an electric heater. That said, I have had no problems with freezing down to at least 20 degrees, but no experience lower than that. If it is lower than 20 I generally leave it winterized and use water independently of the plumbing system. The camper is extremely easy to winterize and it takes about a gallon and a half of anti freeze to accomplish it.

Ranger, here is what i did:

digital thermostat replacement

Ranger_Tim
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2016 Wolf Creek 840. My 2006 F350 crew diesel weighs 8100 lbs with me in it, tailgate and full fuel tank. The weight with camper is right at 11,200 lb. with camper loaded, 2 persons and full tank of fuel. I have two batteries and two propane tanks and usually weigh the camper with a full tank of water (36 gal.). So my camper wet weight (3100 lbs.) puts me a few hundred lbs. under the GVW of 11,500 lbs. I have the "Wolf Pack" option with a/c, Fox Landing, ladder and top racks.

My truck handles the camper nicely and is outfitted with Tork Lift Stableloads upper and lower. No sag and doesn't wobble. Good handling on the highway and I can negotiate gravel backroads at slower speeds no problem. The camper is tall though. Keep an eye out for clearance issues.

I am not sure I would be as comfortable without the helper springs and swaybar that comes with the F350. While it would still probably work, an F250 might need some mods to make it suitable if over the max weight criteria. Be sure to check out your wheel ratings -- they are typically the weakest link. Mine are close to the limit. Tires need to be checked too. I often tow a small enclosed 8X5 utility trailer with my TC with no problems or concerns. It actually feels more stable in that configuration.

Some of us are fanatical about staying under rated weights, others are less worried about it. Make your own choices and decisions.

The Wolf Creek has two small fans that blow air from the cabin into the basement and over the tanks. If it isn't warm in the cabin, it won't be warm in the tanks. The fans only run when the heater is running. I wish it was switched independently so I could use them when plugged into shore power and running an electric heater. That said, I have had no problems with freezing down to at least 20 degrees, but no experience lower than that. If it is lower than 20 I generally leave it winterized and use water independently of the plumbing system. The camper is extremely easy to winterize and it takes about a gallon and a half of anti freeze to accomplish it.
Ranger Tim
2006 F-350 Super Crew King Ranch SRW Bulletproofed
2016 Wolf Creek 840
Upper and Lower StableLoads

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
The weight of most campers are advertised as a basic, no frills model. That's exactly what I have with the 1998 Lance 165-s x-cab: no extras, except the aftermarket 200 watts of solar. I think even the jacks are considered extra by some mfgrs. Since i leave the jacks at home, no harm-no foul.
A lot of people on here are dismayed when they actually weigh their rig and find out the actual poundage.
jefe
'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

Tizi
Explorer
Explorer
I bought my camper before I bought my truck. The first NL was around 2300 pounds and all we needed were the torklift tie downs. When we changed campers, to a heavier NL, I added independent airbags, anti-sway bar, Rancho 9000xl adjustable shocks, and Vison 19.5 rims and tires. Probably over-kill but the truck drives and handles great!
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 QC 4x4 - HEMI
2007 Northern Lite 10.2 RR
Tizi's Transformer by Whazoo

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
From what I understand, Wolf Creek dry weights don’t include any options. That’s not that abnormal, btw. 3TV, I’d be interested in hearing your actual weight after you pick it up.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

3TV
Explorer
Explorer
The Wolf Creek 840 short bed pickup camper I am picking up on Monday is supposed to be 4-season capable. All of the Wolf Creek campers come with a mandatory "Wolf Pack" option package that includes heated holding tanks. Thermal pane windows are also an option. And they come with high density block foam insulation. Dry weight is 1992 lbs, which gives her just a few pounds of camping gear before hitting her limit of 2600 lbs.
2019 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Laramie SWB 4x4
2020 Lance 825
2021 Grand Design Momentum 350G

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
JD,
You are correct. The Lance 650 has double pane windows and is fully insulated but has no heated tanks, or basement. I guess you could call it a '3-season'. Lance has sold a lot of these. The O.P. is going to find no 4-season camper in her load maximum that will won't overload the truck. So begin the tradeoffs.
jefe
'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

Optimistic_Para
Explorer
Explorer
LadyRVer wrote:
Optimistic Paranoid...sprayed on bed liner.

Better than the plastic, but you will still need a rubber bed liner to help keep the camper from shifting.

Some people buy heavy rubber horse stall mats instead of a dedicated bed mat. They're a bit thicker (and heavier) so they can be helpful if you only need to raise the camper just a little bit for clearance.

JD5150
Explorer
Explorer
jefe 4x4 wrote:
Lady,
You have a pile of info above on which to cogitate. The plusses in your case are:
1. 2500 truck which will require little upgrading if you get a light weight camper.
2. gas engine- increases your load rating without the diesel boat anchor which subtracts about 5-600 pounds from the payload rating.
3. If it's only you in the box, an 8'6" camper is plenty enough. You don't even need a N/S bed. Add another person or a couple small dogs and suddenly it isn't.
That being said, the rule of thumb is, "the longer you are out on the road in your camper, increasingly, the more space you will need", unless you are real good at space utilization. Following the warmth is another issue. If you go south for the winter and north for the summer, you may not need air conditioning. Depends on how tough you are and how tuned to the seasons. Do you have any hobbies you will take with you? Space in a TC is at an absolute premium. There are a few small campers that are 4-season. the full featured Lance 650 is one for a S.B.
One thing to think about are your knees. There is an ever increasing effort to get up the steps and up the two big steps to the bed. Be sure to try that out several times in a row. A 2WD truck will help in getting up the steps: not so high off the ground.
I'm the same age as yourself and don't take quite the chances I did when I was 40, so it would be good to iron out all the details to make sure a TC is a good fit, and do some close trial runs before you set sail. You may find leaving most of the stuff you took with you in previous RV's is liberating, especially while traveling/parking/overnighting. Good luck to you, and do let this forum know how it works out.
jefe
I Could be wrong but I don't think the Lance 650 is 4-seasons. Rear underside and Tanks are open an exposed. Roof is not a full walk-on roof requiring careful roof seal maintenance. This is what I read for the 2019 650 but may be different for other years.

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
In the case of space or lack of in a small TC, keep in mind that you have all that space in the back of your crew cab truck.

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
Lady,
You have a pile of info above on which to cogitate. The plusses in your case are:
1. 2500 truck which will require little upgrading if you get a light weight camper.
2. gas engine- increases your load rating without the diesel boat anchor which subtracts about 5-600 pounds from the payload rating.
3. If it's only you in the box, an 8'6" camper is plenty enough. You don't even need a N/S bed. Add another person or a couple small dogs and suddenly it isn't.
That being said, the rule of thumb is, "the longer you are out on the road in your camper, increasingly, the more space you will need", unless you are real good at space utilization. Following the warmth is another issue. If you go south for the winter and north for the summer, you may not need air conditioning. Depends on how tough you are and how tuned to the seasons. Do you have any hobbies you will take with you? Space in a TC is at an absolute premium. There are a few small campers that are 4-season. the full featured Lance 650 is one for a S.B.
One thing to think about are your knees. There is an ever increasing effort to get up the steps and up the two big steps to the bed. Be sure to try that out several times in a row. A 2WD truck will help in getting up the steps: not so high off the ground.
I'm the same age as yourself and don't take quite the chances I did when I was 40, so it would be good to iron out all the details to make sure a TC is a good fit, and do some close trial runs before you set sail. You may find leaving most of the stuff you took with you in previous RV's is liberating, especially while traveling/parking/overnighting. Good luck to you, and do let this forum know how it works out.
jefe

LadyRVer
Explorer
Explorer
Optometric Paranoid...sprayed on bed liner. Thanks for your weight info. Will check door jam and also do CAT scale, one nearby.

Burning Man..will check the weight rating. I plan on doing 4 new tires (close to needing them anyway) and will upgrade if need be..thanks for the info

Dwat good info and hints.

Appreciate all the replies and information and the two websites to check out. This has all been a great help to be. All written down ....thanks ALL.

dwrat
Explorer
Explorer
I personally like airbags with separate airbag controls, not tied together. $400
A rubber bed mat. $75
Frame mounter tie downs. About $200 used from Craigslist.
A heavy-duty sway bar, Hellwig Bigwig. $250

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
You have the exact same platform as a 3500 srw truck (still has leaf springs in 2013). As long as you're not geeked out about weight ratings, 4000lb tires (or 19.5s ideally), stiff springs (just go all in and get real springs in lieu of airbags, IMO if this is a forever camper hauler), some tiedowns and hit the road!
Have fun!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold