cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

WINTERIZE

abc40kids
Explorer
Explorer
Still using my camper for Thanksgiving and it looks like we have a few nights coming up where it will dip down to like 28 for a few hours during the night. Should I just winterize it to be safe and just re-winterize after my Thanksgiving trip? Thanks, Jeff
Jeff,Julie,Amber,Brandon,and Casey and Winston ( our 5 year old Golden ) and Bruno the Pug. We now have an English Cream, white Golden Retriever as well.
2015 Keystone Montana Mountaineer 356TBF
2005 Chevy duramax dually
22 REPLIES 22

temccarthy1
Explorer
Explorer
abc40kids wrote:
Still using my camper for Thanksgiving and it looks like we have a few nights coming up where it will dip down to like 28 for a few hours during the night. Should I just winterize it to be safe and just re-winterize after my Thanksgiving trip? Thanks, Jeff

We camped in Va ( Luray and Williamsburg) 2 years ago for Thanksgiving and I was surprised that it did get down to about 25 for a few nights. You should NOT need to winterize before you leave since daytime temps will be above 32 and no issues. Day temps for us were in the 40's. That is unusual for that area but can happen! Keep a close eye daily on your phone weather app so you know exactly how cold they are predicting each night. We just left our furnace running at 60 minimum at night to warm the tanks in the sealed bottom area. I am assuming you have the "thermal " package on your RV. Do not just run electric heaters to keep water lines warm at night when it goes below 32 degrees. You need the forced air ducts under the floor. MAKE SURE your propane tanks are full before you leave. Turn off, disconnect and drain your water hose at night so that doesn't freeze up. You should be fine!
Tim, Ramona and dog Scruffy
1982 Coleman Sun Valley PUP (retired)
2014 Keystone Bullet 285RLS Ultralite TT
2013 Ford Expedition XLT 5.4L Triton V8
Equalizer E2 hitch

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
djousma wrote:
Super_Dave wrote:
farmerrob wrote:
Does anyone put antifreeze in their black tank flush line ?

Thought it was an open line into the black tank. Does it need anything?

There is usually a back flow preventer in the line, besides at the hose connection. I just use compressed air to blow the line out.

My local RV store keeps extras in stock each spring as itโ€™s the most commone thing people miss. A friend had that issue last year and was told it should be done with anti freeze on,y.
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
Super_Dave wrote:
A backflow preventer is open in one direction from the connection to the tank so still not seeing a need unless I'm still missing something.

If there is any water remaining in the line to the nozzle, as there would be in a low spot in the hose routing for example, that water can still freeze and rupture the hose. Seems to me that blowing it out with air would be fine.

This coming from someone who lives in So Cal, and has never winterized any trailer before. But still, physics are physics.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

djousma
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, so its not one way valve per se, its a vacuum breaker like this
Dave
2016 F350 Lariat 4x4 FX4 SRW CC SB 6.7 Magnetic Metallic
2017 Forest River Cardinal 3850RL

djousma
Explorer
Explorer
well, water is going to stay one one side of that preventer. In my Cardinal, the line goes from my water bay control panel, clear across and up into the area under my bathroom sink where the preventer is, and then down into the black tank. A quick blast of low pressure compressed air for 5-10 seconds is more than enough to blow the remaining water out.
Dave

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
djousma wrote:

There is usually a back flow preventer in the line, besides at the hose connection. I just use compressed air to blow the line out.

A backflow preventer is open in one direction from the connection to the tank so still not seeing a need unless I'm still missing something.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

djousma
Explorer
Explorer
Super_Dave wrote:
farmerrob wrote:

Dave

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
farmerrob wrote:

Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
I just winterized yesterday with the same delima. Since we use ours 12 months a year we winterize with air and put anti freeze in the p traps and black tank flush
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
farmerrob wrote:

always

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
farmerrob wrote:

No, I blow it out. Never have had an issue.

farmerrob
Explorer
Explorer
2018 chevy 2500 sb dc duramax
2018 cougar 27rks
B&W hitch
Goodyear endurance

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
I just got back a couple of weeks ago from the Sierra, and I had cold nights. First night was okay. Second night it got down to at least 17F. It was 28F inside the trailer when I awoke. I slept well, and was surprised when seeing the inside temp. There was ice in the toilet, and water was just a trickle from the faucets.

I kicked the heater on, opened sink base cabinets, and left the heater on 24/7 for the remaining 8 days. Set at the minimum it will go of 55F. Did not have any more issue, other than sleeping with the noise of the heater. I was boondocking. The tanks did not freeze as far as I know. Using onboard water and pump. Thank God for solar charging. She drank a lot of propane.

I felt that I had dodged a bullet that one night, that nothing broke or burst. Days got up into the high 50s or low 60s, which helps a bunch.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

djousma
Explorer
Explorer
Yea, if in 20's overnight, turn the heat on 50 or so. This past spring I camped in early April, and had a night that got to 25. The water hose and spigot froze overnight, enough that there was no water flow. If a 5/8" water hose can freeze that quickly, then a 1/2" pex line will freeze that much quicker if the trailer isnt kept above freezing.
Dave