cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Onan Fuel Stabilizer

gja1000
Explorer
Explorer
I have been using Onan fuel stabilizer in my class C after having the carburetor in the generator gum up a couple years ago. I am running low and discovered that everyone is out of the Onan brand. What other brand is good to use as a fuel stabilizer? Any suggestions?
10 REPLIES 10

Cobra21
Explorer
Explorer
I would use a heavy dose of seafoam. Not only is it a stabilizer, but also a cleaner and does a great job neutralizing moisture from condensation in the fuel tank. My last fill of the season consists of about 12 gallons of non-oxy fuel (no ethanol) and a full can of Sea-Foam into my 28 gallon fuel tank. Drive and run genny for 20 minutes or so and park it for the winter.
Brian

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sam Spade wrote:
Sandia Man wrote:
I do add a bit of Seafoam every time I add fuel to the genny tank, no doubt that has played a significant role in keeping our fuel delivery system and carb from gumming up over the years.

Maybe but not likely.

You are wasting a LOT of money over the years on a product of marginal worth as a fuel system cleaner.

Berrymans B12 Chemtool is a MUCH better cleaner and is about 1/3 the price.

The company that sells SeaFoam now is named "Seafoam Sales Company".
And they are great at......SALES.....of a generally inferior product.

I have had great results with the Berryman product. Stabil was used in my roto-tiller and the carburetor was gummed up. Not sure why as I have excellent results with it before.

A small Honda engine man suggested a product called "mechanic in a bottle" it is a fuel additive purchased at big hardware store. I added as directed, let the machine idle for an hour and the slow response/half choke situation went away.
I purchased Berryman by the case. My dad used "marvel mystery oil" in his machines /cars/trucks way back when and swore by it. Some say it is trans fluid, IDK.
My diesel gets fuel additive since the low sulphur content fuel we have today.

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
SeaFoam I put it in everything that runs on gas.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
Sandia Man wrote:
I do add a bit of Seafoam every time I add fuel to the genny tank, no doubt that has played a significant role in keeping our fuel delivery system and carb from gumming up over the years.

Maybe but not likely.

You are wasting a LOT of money over the years on a product of marginal worth as a fuel system cleaner.

Berrymans B12 Chemtool is a MUCH better cleaner and is about 1/3 the price.

The company that sells SeaFoam now is named "Seafoam Sales Company".
And they are great at......SALES.....of a generally inferior product.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

ronfisherman
Sta-bil has a newer product out.
Sta-bil 360ยฐ. Helps with gas that has ethanol in it.
2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A SOLD
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad SOLD

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
MobileBasset wrote:
I donโ€™t know if itโ€™s the best but I use Stabil Marine Grade fuel stabilizer.

X2, it works for me. Make sure it's the Blue Stuff.

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have used Stabil for over the last decade on our Onan with no carb issues thus far. I do add a bit of Seafoam every time I add fuel to the genny tank, no doubt that has played a significant role in keeping our fuel delivery system and carb from gumming up over the years. Have always filled with whatever fuel was readily available which has was of the ethanol laced variety. Well over 1K hours and still using the original fuel filter although I have purchased a couple of extras just in case.

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
Stabil available at Wally World
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
X2 Mobile.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

MobileBasset
Explorer
Explorer
I donโ€™t know if itโ€™s the best but I use Stabil Marine Grade fuel stabilizer. I have used it for 5 years and have had no issues.
MobileBasset
2014 Itasca Spirit 25B on Chevy Express 3500 chassis
Daisy and Hank the Basset Hounds