Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: OREGON STATE PARKS RANT
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> OREGON STATE PARKS RANT

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Oasisbob

Portland Oregon 97266

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/18 09:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Camping is becomming very popular within 50 miles or so of Portland Oregon. Numerous times my family & I have wanted to get away during winter month's only to find campsites not available. Why does Oregon state parks continue to close, or partially close, campgrounds during winter months? Their own reservation data shows an interest. At around $30 dollars a night it is as if they are turning away revenue. We knew at Champoeg state park one loop was closed during winter season but they would let folks camp if space was needed. This year they are not letting this happen as logs and equipment are being stored due to construction in other areas. Of all the space available why choose to store where folks could be camping? I will write to OSP if I can find out who to write. Just frustrating. Other reason is many families are living in the park in Rv's because rental prices are out of reach in Portland. We met 5 families doing this last year. So if you are considering shopping for an RV check camp site availability first. Also USFS campgrounds close way too early. Why?

Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife & 4 Really Fun kids
2008 KIA Sedona 3.8L 24 valve V-6
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS">

SoundGuy

S Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/18 09:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oasisbob wrote:

Camping is becomming very popular within 50 miles or so of Portland Oregon. Numerous times my family & I have wanted to get away during winter month's only to find campsites not available. Why does Oregon state parks continue to close, or partially close, campgrounds during winter months? Their own reservation data shows an interest. At around $30 dollars a night it is as if they are turning away revenue.

Other reason is many families are living in the park in Rv's because rental prices are out of reach in Portland. We met 5 families doing this last year.

Why?

No different than pretty well anywhere else. Here in Ontario I know of 3 provincial parks and 1 conservation area that offer limited winter camping, a couple of them even offer winter camping programs where you pick a site and leave your rig on that site, but everything else closes by this time of year and doesn't reopen for camping til mid April to May. That said, they're certainly not interested in having people live there during the winter, I'm guessing no more than Oregon state parks would be. [emoticon]

2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS * 2003 Fleetwood Yuma
2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX * 2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH
2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe * 1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

donn0128

Pronounced Ore-gun

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/18 09:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bob,
As a camp host, albeit retired I can hear your pain. This has been going on for the past 4 years or so. Even summers park availability has been near zero. Couple of reasons for that. OPRD upper managment chose several years ago to put their available money into new parks instead of upgrading current facilities. So we now have underused parks like the monster in north central Oregon, while funds get cut to the rest of the parks. Its omly going to get worse in the near term as more people buy/try RVing. After Labor day most parks start cutting out their temporary help, so there are fewer employees. The end result close parts of the park.
BTW have you tried Stub Stewart yet?

Don,Lorri,and Charlie Bear 2016
8 years OSP Camp Host
The Other Dallas

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/18 09:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Once frost hits, keeping parks open presents some problems. Water systems mostly get turned off for the winter. This happens everywhere there is frost.

Relatively few parks stay open all winter.
Boondock camping is always available.
I have camped at boat ramps and lots of other places during the winter.
You just have to be more creative.

ksg5000

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/18 10:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know we had to cancel some plans this year because of some of the loops we use were were under construction. While inconvenient I took it as a sign that they were investing money in Beverly Beach and other parks which have been around for a long time and needed some updating.

You might be surprised and get better info by sending a inquiry/complaint to the gurus who run the Park System. I wrote a complaint about mosquitoes at South Beach one time and was surprised to get a long/pleasant/informative response from the guy who managed the Park - he told me that mosquito abatement was a controversial issue because of the environmental lobbies but was going to use my complaint as justification for making a change. So go figure - sometimes complaining gets noticed.

Kevin

Eric&Lisa

Scappoose, OR

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/18 12:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We usually make a spring run out to Nehalem Bay State Park. Yeah, they had one of the loops closed in the spring a few years ago. Pedaled my bicycle over there and they had all the utilities ripped up and getting replaced. Probably because 30amp hook ups are the new norm and the circuits couldn't handle the load.

The past couple years, however, we have been able to roll in and pick our campsite. They have one loop for reservations which is typically packed, and the other loops are first come basis - with plenty of open spots. Summer they go to 100% reservations.

The other thing I have seen, is loops are closed because they are not maintaining them during the winter. Limbs blown down, debris in the sites, etc. I have seen this across the board from the coast to the mountains. It does make financial sense - why pay for continual cleaning during periods of high damage when there is low/limited usage? Pay for one big spring cleaning instead.

Thanks,
-Eric

Eric & Lisa - Oregon
'97 Silverado K2500, New HT383 motor!, Airbags, anti-sway bar
'03 Lance model 1030, generator, solar,

monkey44

Cape Cod, MA and Central Fla

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/18 01:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If a park is not open, how does it know it will not fill, or at least get enough camping revenue to upkeep the sites? Especially in temperate climates.

And, as long as some parks pay a reservation fee to outside contractors we can't use that money to hire workers. There must be a large profit in reservations, otherwise no corporation would do it. So, when management says, "NO FUNDS", it's because they give it away. I believe we (any park) should open, and give people work that need it in the off season, even if it only breaks even. The parks stays open and clean, people get work, and campers can camp.

An example, a little different, but illustrates the point.

We had a volunteer BOD running our snack-bar for summer baseball league for about fifteen years. Made about $5K-$8K per season for the teams. BOD decided to outsource the snack bar, and did. New snack bar contract paid $800 to the league. BOD said, at least we get income. BOD decided it was too lazy to run the snack bar - which only took two people per game (25 games - BOD was 25 adults, so two games each) so the team (kids) lost the difference between $5k and $800 ... that's a incidental incident of sub contracting work.... IT's never less expensive due to insurance, labor, training, profit, and all the other components.

IT's most often about convenience, but NOT about lack of funds. We could have HIRED people to run it, and still made money for the teams.

Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & JAX Fla
GMC 2500 4x4 Sierra X-Cab
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
2002 Angler 8B
Back-country camping fanatic

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/18 03:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hard to maintain parks for a few campers on a weekend that will sit empty all week.

Lwiddis

Rincon Parkway, Ventura, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/07/18 03:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

“will write to OSP if I can find out who to write. ”

Write to your legislators with a copy to the state park chief. Look online for his/her name and address. Forget ranting if you want it read and considered. Ask why not open, don’t preach.

2015 Winnebago 2101DS TT & Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts WindyNation solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for US flag. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - old MOS 1542 & 1560.

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/18 04:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You DO realize that there ARE 49 OTHER States that you CAN select from to camp, right?

I personally feel that your expectations are totally unrealistic, especially ANYWHERE there might be freezing or subfreezing temperatures..

In winter time, roads MUST be cleared and kept clear at the cost of tax payers pockets.

Campgrounds would have to be staffed even when the roads are not clear enough to be safe for staff or campers.

Campgrounds would have to be staffed if no one or one camper is present at the cost of the tax payers..

Then there is silly things like making sure there is power, water, sewage, bathhouses all working, JUST FOR YOU..

YOUR "demands" for keeping the campgrounds "open" in winter just for YOU puts OTHERS (staff and road crews) in potential danger or harms way (icy roads, heavy snow falls ect). A pretty self centered point of view.

If you feel that you MUST winter camp, go to another State that has campgrounds open in the winter or do what many sane folks do, migrate SOUTH where it is warmer during the winter..

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> OREGON STATE PARKS RANT
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS