cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Road from eEl Paso to Alamogordo. Need advice

Nui
Explorer
Explorer
I’m thinking of going from el El Paso to Alamogordo but am worried about mountains. How bad/hilly is the road? I’m leaving tomorrow so any help would be appreciated
8 REPLIES 8

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
brooks379 wrote:
Some one lied to you when they told you there were any mountains between El Paso and Alamogordo on hwy 54.....you can see big mountains but the road is as flat as Kansas !Easy drive !

There is this odd belief going around that centers on people thinking El Paso is near sea level. Something to do with it being on the southern border so it must be low. That make it appear to be a 4,000+ foot elevation change up into the clouds of the mountains when it really not that big a difference. Not unlike people thinking all US Canadian border towns are high up in the mountains. 🙂
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

brooks379
Explorer
Explorer
Some one lied to you when they told you there were any mountains between El Paso and Alamogordo on hwy 54.....you can see big mountains but the road is as flat as Kansas !Easy drive !

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
Nice road with a ton of things to do in Alamogordo.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

one_strange_tex
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with the above responses. You will be driving in a basin between mountains, not in the mountains themselves.
one_strange_texan
Currently between RV's
Former 5th wheel owner (Montana 3402RL)

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
NMDriver2 wrote:
US 54 is about as flat as a road can get from El Paso to Alamagordo. Overpasses in El Paso undulate more than the road. Very slight increase in elevation and a few rolling hills. Watch for drones to your east around Oro Grande it is a test/training area.

^^^^^^^^^^ I AGREE ^^^^^^^^^^

Unless there has been a Seismic Shift - you will be Looking at the Mountains Not Driving in them.

Enjoy the drive,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

NMDriver2
Explorer
Explorer
US 54 is about as flat as a road can get from El Paso to Alamagordo. Overpasses in El Paso undulate more than the road. Very slight increase in elevation and a few rolling hills. Watch for drones to your east around Oro Grande it is a test/training area.
Turret Class traveler

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
What are you driving?
It’s a pretty easy drive.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad