cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Desperation or good planning

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
Ford scooters. I can hear it now, heay I like your new truck, aren't they the company that sells scooters ๐Ÿ™‚
11 REPLIES 11

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
They should handle very well, very low, and with a wide stance. The only thing I have against them is the same problem with all 3-wheelers: you have trouble avoiding any defects or hazards in the roadway since you don't have wheels following wheels. You kind of have wheels between wheels. Imagine trying to avoid some roadkill in the middle of the road.

But if you have to have a 3-wheeler, any of the Can-Am's will beat the heck out of the HD-type 3-wheelers with the single tire in front. Very unstable design.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
In truth, they're referred to as 3-wheelers, but many states classify them as motorcycles for regulation and licensing. And the Tomahawk has 4 wheels/tires, they're just hooked together. I guess that would make it a dually. LOL

Thanks for the info on the Slingshot, I had always just figured it used the Can-Am motor. Personally I see no sense in the Slingshot, if you want a sports car, buy a sports car. That way you don't have to put up with the quirks of a 3-wheel vehicle.
Not my cup of tea either but I guess they corner like it is on Rails.

I like to take my truck rv and motorcycle camping so I need a bike lite enough to be easy to load.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
In truth, they're referred to as 3-wheelers, but many states classify them as motorcycles for regulation and licensing. And the Tomahawk has 4 wheels/tires, they're just hooked together. I guess that would make it a dually. LOL

Thanks for the info on the Slingshot, I had always just figured it used the Can-Am motor. Personally I see no sense in the Slingshot, if you want a sports car, buy a sports car. That way you don't have to put up with the quirks of a 3-wheel vehicle.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
I think that should be a "theoretical" motorcycle since it actually has more than two wheels. LOL I'd like to see them actually ride that thing, especially in something other than a straight line. Heck, a scooter would be faster than that thing. Another "Looks cool, but is worthless" vehicle.
3 wheels is still considered a motorcycle, such as the Polaris slingshot and Can-Am Spyder. I believe the Slingshot uses a GM engine as well. GM could just purchase Boss Hoss since they already use the small and big block GM engines.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think that should be a "theoretical" motorcycle since it actually has more than two wheels. LOL I'd like to see them actually ride that thing, especially in something other than a straight line. Heck, a scooter would be faster than that thing. Another "Looks cool, but is worthless" vehicle.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
The Ford-GM-Ram scooter debate begins. ๐Ÿ™‚
Dodge had the Tomahawk motorcycle concept, hardly a scooter. LOL

The Tomahawk was a viper V-10 powered motorcycle with a theoretical top speed of 450 mph.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
The Ford-GM-Ram scooter debate begins. ๐Ÿ™‚

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
GM is also finalizing the design of their electric scooter coming out in 2019. They are also holding a contest to name the scooters with a $10,000 and bragging rights to the winner. What I like about the GM process is they also have consulted people in the more mature age range, so, their scooters will also be appropriate for older riders as well. One of them I feel would also be appealing to those with RVs. Right now they are only doping press on 2 models, the compact one and the folding one, but more are on the horizon.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
azrving wrote:
Dutchmen
So the city doesn't care if it's a pita for a lot of people as long as they get a cut. People will be getting killed and a ton of minor accidents. In some cities people were so sick of them that they were burning, smashing and throwing them in the ocean.

You are absolutely correct. They band them for a while until they came up with their brilliant idea. I think the city was after only one thing ... some way to get finances off them. Once they figured out a way to do that, they turned the wild nuts loose again.

I think the 5 year old kids in campgrounds have better respect for using them than the nut-cases in downtown Indy.

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
Dutchmen
So the city doesn't care if it's a pita for a lot of people as long as they get a cut. People will be getting killed and a ton of minor accidents. In some cities people were so sick of them that they were burning, smashing and throwing them in the ocean.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I imagine associating FORD with a scooter isn't the worst thing to happen on planet Earth, but it sure is humorous when you think about it.

For what it's worth, Indianapolis just (very) recently went through the scooter issues, like San Francisco did. Just in the last month or so, they brought the scooters back to the downtown Indianapolis area. There are all kinds of restrictions and the scooter company has to pay specific fees to the city. I don't see how it can be a profitable business, but evidently they think so.

It's funny, the scooter in the big cities debate, riding on sidewalks vs in the street, permits, and being a problem to pedestrians, people who are careless, reckless, and just plain stupid ... funny... because kids as young as five year old have been riding them at State Park Campgrounds for years now in Indiana. They seem to be accepted pretty well in this environment.

WTHR TV segment, click here.

Maybe FORD should just stick with what they do best???? :B :S