Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

MSRP Question

the_e-man
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All,

I am looking at buying a new camper. I have decided on which brand and layout. Two nearby dealers have what appears to be exactly the same thing. But, the MSRP provided by each is different by over $3,000. I donโ€™t think there are any different options installed and they are both 2019 units. Has anyone seen something like that? What would cause a difference in MSRP?

Thanks.
2018 Grand Design Transcend 28MKS
2010 Ram 2500
Travel Trail Sail - Info on Travel Planning, RV Camping, Outdoor Living
16 REPLIES 16

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
Even in automobiles, there may be different MSRPs for identical vehicles due to different manufacturing dates. There may have been a price increase on that particular model (there have been anecdotal reports of increasing costs due to tariffs, and demand for RVs has been strong, so it is not unlikely that manufacturers have increased prices). It might be as simple as one rig has sat on the lot and is an old price unit.

delwhjr
Explorer
Explorer
troubledwaters wrote:
delwhjr wrote:
They should show you the build sheet from the manufacturer...
Forget the build sheet, ask to see the invoice.

This is a discussion about MSRP; the invoice is a totally different black hole.

Just as in the auto industry, the invoice does not show the real amount a dealer pays. It can be useful as a bargaining point but it has its drawbacks as well.
2022 Rockwood 2109S
2006 Durango HEMI

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
Although there is no federal mandated MSRP sticker required for RV's, Section 5 of the FTCA requires that if sales material specify a specific item, that item must be true. So, under Section 5, if they use a Manufactures Suggested Retail Price, the manufacture must have actually suggested that retail price. The dealer can't make up any MSRP unless the actual manufacture made that suggestion. I have sued this before to force a no profit sale under threat of a lawsuit.

So, you have to look and see if the M in MSRP actually says "Manufacture" or if it says Market. Additionally, manufactures of non motorized RV's can provide a suggested retail range which means two identical travel trailers could have two different MSRP's so long as they are within the actual range.

And let us not forget that some States have stricter consumer protection laws concerning advertisements and sales materiel.

As mentioned, RV dealers are as bad as the buy-her-pay-here used care salespeople, but I fault the consumers who spend more time researching porch lens color over the sales protection process.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
To add to the confusion, there are those among us who like to brag that they got 30-50 percent better deal than anyone else. Same folks who get over 30 mpg when towing uphill. Good advice about checking Internet pricing but be aware, that price may have been "for one unit that we sold last week, but we will be happy to find you another. It may be a little higher".

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
deltabravo wrote:
Atlee wrote:
Unlike the auto industry, there is no Federally mandated MSRP sticker on any RV. If an RV actually has one, it's made up by the dealer.

DITTO.

Every build sheet I have seen at a dealer, there's always a hand written "suggested retail price" or a typed up / printed number that is a different typeface (font) as the rest of the build sheet, which makes it obvious that the dealer added this number on their own.

You have evidently never looked at Rockwood / Flagstaff. This does not come from the dealer.

Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

troubledwaters
Explorer
Explorer
delwhjr wrote:
They should show you the build sheet from the manufacturer...
Forget the build sheet, ask to see the invoice.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Atlee wrote:
Unlike the auto industry, there is no Federally mandated MSRP sticker on any RV. If an RV actually has one, it's made up by the dealer.

DITTO.

Every build sheet I have seen at a dealer, there's always a hand written "suggested retail price" or a typed up / printed number that is a different typeface (font) as the rest of the build sheet, which makes it obvious that the dealer added this number on their own.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
Perfect opportunity to get them bidding against each other to get the lowest price. Keep in mind though that after sales service and convenience is worth paying a little extra for.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
Research on Rv trader the RV you're interested in to find a price to compare the dealers to. Also, deal only in the Out The Door price this way there are no hidden fees and it's easier to compare between the two dealers. We went out of state to purchase as the local dealers wanted to play games, we saved $3000.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
The games don't end with the MSRP either. Nothing is etched in stone with an RV purchase. Dealers are free to be as creative as they wish with finding ways to increase their profits.
Best suggestions
Get the full pricing package from the dealers you are considering when you are entering the dealership. Fees and add on's can be a killer. Some examples from a dealer in Ashland that I visited,,,
PDI or walkthrough,,, $450
Documentation,,,, $399
Dealer prep,,,,,,, $1500
Shipping,,,,,, $1500
And their advertised sale price was only good if you financed through them.

That dealer had advertised a great price on the Trailer, but by the time they were done, the deal became horrible.

There are some dealers that are up front on their pricing, use the web, search for the make and model you want, then visit dealers sites, the ones that are "no fee" dealers will usually make that prominent in their ads. I know the one I used in Ringgold Va. (Danville) did and also happened to have a better price even without considering the fees than the corporate chain locations I had visited.
Happy hunting.
Russ

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Some manufacturer ship a document with the unit that lists MSRP including a detailed list of all options and packages along with their pricing, most don't. As an example Rockwood/Flagstaff has such a document but its typically the first thing the dealer removes when it's delivered. Also that document and the pricing is the same as I had 3 from 3 different dealers when shopping for our current Rockwood. Ultimatly I paid less than $20K for a trailer with MSRP of $32K. I met a gent at the campground two years ago with the same model from the same dealer who was proud of the fact he only paid $28K lol.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

Atlee
Explorer
Explorer

The Feds mandate that every new auto sold in the US must have the standard MSRP sticker. And this MSRP is the same everywhere. And this MSRP sticker must describe, along with the VIN #, all standard equipment on that vehicle, the base MSRP, plus any extra cost options with the total listed MSRP. And the MSRP has a standard shipping cost. For example, every Ford F150 will carry the exact same delivery cost figure no matter whether the dealer selling the truck is located 5 miles from the assembly plant or in Alaska.

Nothing like this exist for RV's. For RV's, it's the wild, wild west, WRT MSRP stickers. Anything goes. Plus the delivery cost is the actual cost of getting the RV from the factory to the dealers lot.

There are some manufacturers who will show what their MSRP is on their corporate site. Jayco is one such manufacturer, unless Thor has changed that, since I bought mine.

In any case, you can go to Jayco's site, pick out the unit you're interested in, and "build your own". It gives you the base MSRP, and you can pick and choose many of the options with those MSRP figures. Finally you get the completed RV you would like to order along with the total MSRP. To this you must add the actual delivery price which is different for each unit depending on where it's being shipped.

The delivery cost is one reason a dealer in Middlebury, IN can sell the exact same Jayco trailer for less than a dealer in the great state of Washington.

the e-man wrote:
Hi All,

I am looking at buying a new camper. I have decided on which brand and layout. Two nearby dealers have what appears to be exactly the same thing. But, the MSRP provided by each is different by over $3,000. I donโ€™t think there are any different options installed and they are both 2019 units. Has anyone seen something like that? What would cause a difference in MSRP?

Thanks.
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

SARGUY
Explorer
Explorer
Midnightsadie nails it. You are little more that a resource to be exploited! Everyone respects that a business person needs to make a profit but RV dealers are in a class by themselves.

delwhjr
Explorer
Explorer
They should show you the build sheet from the manufacturer. It will list everything and the cost. Many times it may be a different accessory or upgraded item. One may include PDI costs or other add-ons the other doesn't.
2022 Rockwood 2109S
2006 Durango HEMI