Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Dark differential lube
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Dark differential lube

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next
Blazing Zippers

North Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/07/18 11:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Being the good owner that I am---I took the Ram to a shop for its oil change. I've had LOF done there before with no issues.
This time, they said that the rear differential gear oil was "dark," and that the brake fluid needed changing. The truck has just over 26,000 miles, and about half of that was towing a trailer or fifth wheel.
I'm not a mechanic, but I've never had to do either of these things. In fact, I don't recall anyone I know changing these fluids except when disassembling their vehicle. Has this shop turned into a "stealership?"
Your thoughts please.

LanceRKeys

Amarillo, TX

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/18 11:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What does your owners manual say about it?

K-9 HANDLER

Maryland's Eastern Shore

View Profile

Posted: 11/08/18 03:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

how old is the truck

Camping near home at Assateague National Seashore with our wild four legged friends

jfkmk

NJ

View Profile

Posted: 11/08/18 03:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Both the above questions are applicable. Diff fluid usually has a much longer life, closer to 100k miles. Brake fluid should be changed out every 3 years or so. But, when in doubt, follow the owners manual.

Ralph Cramden

US

View Profile

Posted: 11/08/18 03:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Changing brake fluid? LOL.
Esepcially so at 26K miles.

I've had 3 trucks since the mid 90s I took to over 200K and never changed brake fluid. What a waste.

Well on one the brake fluid was changed at about 240K when I replaced all the brake lines due to road salt corrosion but the only new fluid ever put in was topping off after replacing pads / shoes.

I vote they are reaching into your pocket seeing what they can grab.

I would also guess RAM is using synthetic fluid in the diff? 26K miles? LOL.

But then again you have a lot of people on RV or truck boards who take fluids and when to change them to the point of anality. Send the brake fluid and gear oil off to some lab somewhere for analization and piss away some more money.

2015 GMC 2500HD SLE Z71 DCLB It's got a cop motor, a three hundred and sixty six cubic inch plant. It's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters, so it'll run good on regular gas.

ib516

Way up north eh

View Profile

Posted: 11/08/18 04:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Follow the maintenance schedule in the manual.

Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
All above are sold
Current: 07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 11/08/18 04:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Did they say if changing the fluids was a manufacturer recommendation or a ' dealer' recommendation?
There is a difference.

p220sigman

Tallahassee, FL, USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/08/18 06:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Did they tell you your muffler bearings weren't looking good either?

Unless the brake system was compromised somehow and the fluid contaminated, it is very unlikely it would need to be changed at 26K miles. Unless you towed really heavy and got the rear diff smoking hot, it is also very unlikely the fluid would need to be changed either. Sadly, it sounds like they are trying to relieve you of as much of your money as possible.

I've had a dealership straight up try fraud on me. I took my car in for routine service. I buy my air filters in bulk and change them myself so I never need the air filter service part done. It just so happened I had changed the air filter 2 days before taking the car in. When I checked the car in with the service writer, I let him know that the air filter was fine and would not need checking or changing. Low and behold, a different service person came to me in the waiting area and said "I know you said the air filter was good, but we always check anyway and your filter does need replacing." I said "Really? Please let me see the old one" I always write the date I change the filter on it in permanent marker. He brings me this caked up nasty filter that isn't even the right filter for my car. I ask him, so this came out of my car and include the year/model of car. He says yes, I just took it out. When I asked to let's go see the air box, he gave me the song and dance about insurance regulations. When we had the service manager present, I then informed both that the filter had been changed personally by me 2 days prior and that the filter he showed me did not even fit my car. The service guy had the deer in the headlights look and the service manager managed to get out an apology saying the service guy must have mistaken my car for a different one before having an urgent issue he needed to address. At least I got a free service out of the deal. I don't know what happened to the service guy, if anything as I never went back to that dealership (even when we bought a car of the make they sell) after that. I told this story to say a mechanic you can trust is worth their weight in gold.

Mike LeClair

Wetaskiwin, Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 11/08/18 06:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your oil change shop is simply surfing in your wallet/pocketbook. Just stick with what the manufacturer suggests in your owners manual and you will be fine.

Cheers!

Mike

Something Old, Something New
2012 F350 SRW, 6.7l Powerstroke, 3.55's front and rear.
2008 Fleetwood Regal 325RKTS
Mike, Carol and our 4 legged "furry child" Kenzie Shweenie Tod

Groover

Pulaski, TN

View Profile

Posted: 11/08/18 06:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Brake fluid can go bad although but in my experience has obvious visual indication. Bad fluid can lead to sticking calipers and expensive brake repair. To be on the safe side I would ask why they think that it needs to be replaced. If they say that it has been contaminated I would pull a couple of samples at the calipers and do a visual inspection myself. Fluid will generally gravity flow through the system so if you are patient you can easily change it yourself just by opening the bleed at the caliper and keeping the reservoir full. A few pumps of the brake pedal will accelerate things. Be sure to catch the mess and don't get any on the paint!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Dark differential lube
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS