cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

oldest 5er that wouldn't need to be lifted for 2016 RAM

Beau_Bo
Explorer
Explorer
Starting to spend some time in this forum in hopes of getting smarter before I purchase a used 5er in the next year or so. Been reading of folks with newer trucks and older trailers that need to lift the trailers to sit level and/or clear side rails when attached to the taller, newer trucks.

What would be the oldest 5er that I should be looking for that would sit level with my 2016 RAM 3500 dually, without modification. I understand that there's probably no hard fast rule, I'm just looking for a general model year range across all brands that I can focus on without worrying too much.

Thanks
2016 EC 960; 2016 RAM 3500 DRW CTD; Superhitch w/42" Ext; 2006 Jeep LJ Rubicon w/16' carhauler
16 REPLIES 16

ChuckV1
Explorer
Explorer
Beau Bo wrote:
Starting to spend some time in this forum in hopes of getting smarter before I purchase a used 5er in the next year or so. Been reading of folks with newer trucks and older trailers that need to lift the trailers to sit level and/or clear side rails when attached to the taller, newer trucks.

What would be the oldest 5er that I should be looking for that would sit level with my 2016 RAM 3500 dually, without modification. I understand that there's probably no hard fast rule, I'm just looking for a general model year range across all brands that I can focus on without worrying too much.

Thanks

It's not about the truck or trailer, it's about the setting on the 5th wheel hitch, most I have seen can be adjusted to what ever height you want ... As stated take a tape measure with you an see, but even that is not true unless you hook to the trailer since the weight of the trailer will push your truck bed down unless you have air bags an have the pressurized to 60 or 70psi or more ...

Good luck an safe travels

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
Beau Bo wrote:

Thanks

That's such an open ended question you'll never get an acceptable answer. Every truck/5ver combination is different.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

Likes_to_tow
Explorer II
Explorer II
Isn't there shims or spacers under the rear springs that can be removed to lower the truck bed??? I have seen them on some trucks that looked like it raised the bed several inches. Ground clearance is a big issue to some who like 4X4 trucks but since I do not like or need this capability I see no reason to have high ground clearance. Check out these spacers and see if they cannot be removed.

JTrac
Explorer
Explorer
Mine is a 13 finished in June 2012. I remember when I did a factory tour while it was being built that someone mentioned the revision to the height of the trailers to accommodate the higher sitting trucks. Mine sits no different on the new truck than it did with my previous 2015 GMC dually and a 2012 GMC single rear wheel prior to that. It's just slightly nose high and I mean just slightly. When we had MorRyde IS installed last year the technician said the ride height was good and didn't recommend changing it.

I'm not sure when trucks started getting higher. On the trailer side, I guess it would depend on the manufacturer but I would think in the last 5 to 7 years maybe. I'm basing that on mine which was 6 years old in June but it is just that, a guess.
JimT
2020 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, 2020 Ford F350, Platinum, 6.7 diesel, 4X4, CCLB, SRW, 12,400 GVWR

Wills6_4_Hemi
Explorer
Explorer
Durb wrote:
There have been many posts on this forum regarding people with new trailers not fitting the newest generation of trucks. Source of a lot of frustration. Tape measure is your friend, allow about 2" for truck squat. My fifth wheel is an 08 and will not fit a new truck, good thing we don't want to sell it.
My truck squats less than 1/2 that much. Depends on truck and 5er

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
There have been many posts on this forum regarding people with new trailers not fitting the newest generation of trucks. Source of a lot of frustration. Tape measure is your friend, allow about 2" for truck squat. My fifth wheel is an 08 and will not fit a new truck, good thing we don't want to sell it.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
I had to raise a '97 5th wheel trailer 2" so I could go with 16" LT E tires.
I had a weld shop add longer adjustable side plates made from 5/16 t X 3" wide heavy steel channel (shor leg) and holes for height adjustments.
There is no cutoff date so to speak when all trailers didn't have to be lifted .
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
I have an 18 2500 Ram (59.5" bed ht) and have no problem with my smaller mid profile 5th wheel.
It really just depends on the 5th wheel you choose. Pick your floor plan then look for that floor plan in the brands you like. Next measure the overhang. Your biggest issue will be the stiff rear suspension not sagging enough with a pin weight. I thought the Ram DRW was a little lower on the bed height? They seemed to be when standing next to one. OEM tires on a DRW are 1.4" shorter than SRW tires. Thats 3/4" on bed height. Not much but would help.
Assuming you have 17" DRW vs 18" SRW

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Beau Bo wrote:

Thanks

You likely have blocks in the truck suspension that can be removed to lower it. Good, and cheap, place to start. Between that and a Correct Track on the FW, you likely can get upwards of 5" net "lift" to the FW.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Wills6_4_Hemi
Explorer
Explorer
OP, I cant send a PM you have them blocked.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well our 2005 Keystone Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS needed to be raised 2" to tow level with 6" of clearance to the bed rails on our 2001 Ram 2500. I was looking at a 2012 Ram 3500 DRW and measured both the 3500 was about 1.5" taller at the TG than the 2500.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Wills6_4_Hemi
Explorer
Explorer
I had to lower my 2016 ram 3500 DRW and will still need to raise the 5er a little to be perfect . My 5er is a 2013 keystone sprinter that is taller than any other 5er I ever owned ( under the pin box) it set nose low on previous 2008 f 250. Pm me if you need info on what was done to truck to lower it 3-31/2 inches which helped a lot 5er still needs to go up 2 inches to be perfect.

Charley67
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2005 Jayco Designer with a 3500 Ram DRW. IM 6โ€™2โ€ and my truck bed is shoulder high at the tailgate. Everything wiorks good. You can always hook to it before you buy it.

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
My 08 Citation works without lifting but it would need to be lifted about 5 inches to make it perfect.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5