Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Do black coaches get really hot in summer?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Do black coaches get really hot in summer?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
huntdooly

Southeast

View Profile

Posted: 11/08/18 08:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is a coach that we are considering that is painted 60% black. I surmise that it would get really hot in the summers and be difficult to keep cool. We want to do a lot of boondocking, so am concerned about the heat factor.

Are my deductions correct? Or is this not a factor at all?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Lwiddis

Rincon Parkway, Ventura, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/08/18 08:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I deduce my dark gray 2015 Tahoe is much warmer than my goldish colored 2007. No, I wouldn’t buy a black RV...even 60%.

2015 Winnebago 2101DS TT & Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts WindyNation solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for US flag. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - old MOS 1542 & 1560.

Big Katuna

Deland, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/08/18 08:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes. Although red, dark colors are about as bad. Black roof is kiss of death.

My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

campinginthewoods

Central ILL

View Profile

Posted: 11/08/18 08:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our local PD went to all black squads from all white squads and the biggest complaint is they are HOT despite Air conditioning and some have special hoses hooked to the a.c. that connect to the officers to aid in cooling. So yes anything black will be be hotter. Dark colors attract the sun and hold heat more than lighter colors

"Our family is a circle of love and strength.
With every birth and every union, the circle grows. Every joy shared adds more love.
Every crisis faced together makes the circle stronger. "

huntdooly

Southeast

View Profile

Posted: 11/08/18 08:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

campinginthewoods wrote:

Our local PD went to all black squads from all white squads and the biggest complaint is they are HOT despite Air conditioning and some have special hoses hooked to the a.c. that connect to the officers to aid in cooling. So yes anything black will be be hotter. Dark colors attract the sun and hold heat more than lighter colors

Thank you! I kept saying this, but my friend (who does not own an RV) said that the insulation would negate the effects of the black color.

azdryheat

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/08/18 10:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They all get hot. At work I'm in coaches of all colors and with everything turned off they all, regardless of color, will get to high 90's in the hot Tucson summer. Some are a little better with dual-pane windows. But the one thing in common is all the roofs are white.

2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2011 Harley Ultra Limited

Ralph Cramden

US

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/18 02:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

huntdooly wrote:

campinginthewoods wrote:

Thank you! I kept saying this, but my friend (who does not own an RV) said that the insulation would negate the effects of the black color.

Even worse is a black awning. I would like to meet the Bonehead who came up with those. On our Rockwood if you tried to sit in the shade under the awning, you would roast from the radiant heat coming from the white underside lol. They work really well and look really good when set up inside a building, like a convention center where the RV show is being held.

2015 GMC 2500HD SLE Z71 DCLB It's got a cop motor, a three hundred and sixty six cubic inch plant. It's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters, so it'll run good on regular gas.

scbwr

North Ridgeville, OH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/09/18 07:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our brown Bay Star has the brown exterior color scheme and it obviously warms up even with the double pane windows and Newmar wall construction. At just a little under 34', you definitely need two ACs when the weather gets up in upper 80's and 90's and the sun is shining! To Newmar's credit, there's no problem keeping the interior cool but if I had a choice, the exterior would have been a much lighter shade such as cream, white, lighter gray with some darker contrasts.

2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

sch911

Rochester Hills, MI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/09/18 07:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our MH is black with a white roof. It doesn't get any hotter than any other RV we have owned.

OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

MetalGator

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/09/18 09:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sch911 wrote:

Our MH is black with a white roof. It doesn't get any hotter than any other RV we have owned.

Same here. Our Miramar is 80% black. We live in Florida and 90% of our travels are in Florida. No trouble keeping our 37' Motorhome cool in the Florida summer even with in mid 90s heat.

One of the local Jeep dealers did a test with a white Jeep Wrangler and a black Jeep Wrangler. The temperature during the summer averaged 2 degrees hotter in the black Jeep. I'd say buy whatever color you want.

Burch

2018 Miramar 35.3
2005 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 1500
4 fur kids (Murphy, Monty, Lola and Pinto)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Do black coaches get really hot in summer?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS