cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Late Fall Camping Smokies

JCR-1
Explorer
Explorer
Does The Smokies have any campgrounds open beyond Oct 31.and does any of the National Park Campgrounds allow any parking even when they are closed. I understand the facilities are down , but can you still park and overnight in the Camgrounds or scenic observation cut-outs Suggestions appreciated.
8 REPLIES 8

PcolaCamper
Explorer
Explorer
Smokemont on the Cherokee, NC side of the National Park has limited availability after Nov 1, all are first come first served. The only sections open are A and B. No reservations are accepted from November 1 to about May 15. No one staffs the entry office; there are envelopes in which to place your fee and you select whichever site is open. Also, be aware there are no hookups at any of the campgrounds in the National Park. No hot water or showers in restrooms. Overnight stays are not allowed outside the campgrounds. Also be aware, the road between Cherokee and Gatlinburg (newfound gap road, or hwy 441) closes if there is any ice, or snow, so to get over the mountain you have to make a long detour. Coming from Florida, that wonโ€™t be a problem unless you want to go to TN. We are campground hosts at Smokemont in the Fall. I may be able to answer other questions if needed.

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Flaming Arrow just outside Cherokee, NC is open year round. Even during peak season we found that side to be much calmer and relaxed, I imagine it's absolutely peacefully during the off season. They're 4 miles from the southern entrance to the park.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

PamfromVA
Explorer
Explorer
from recreation.gov:

Cades Cove and Smokemont campgrounds are the only campgrounds open year round.
2016 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2017 Dodge Ram 3500
One DH
two very spoiled camping dogs

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
I will add that we used to go to the PF/Gatlinburg area each Thanksgiving, but the traffic was just horrid and we decided we could camp closer to home and have just as good of a time, but with less stress. (We do know how to avoid the parkway to get in/out of there, but there was just too many people.)

We stayed at Pine Mountain RV Park in Pigeon Forge and it had full hookups still giong at thanksgiving. I think I read on their website that they were open all year.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
You could always call the Sugarlands visitor center and ask. Private campgrounds are plentiful though most will shut off their water, some have limited sites that still have w/e/s

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
JCR-1 wrote:
Does The Smokies have any campgrounds open beyond Oct 31.and does any of the National Park Campgrounds allow any parking even when they are closed. I understand the facilities are down , but can you still park and overnight in the Camgrounds or scenic observation cut-outs Suggestions appreciated.

There is NEVER any overnight camping allowed outside of campgrounds in the Smokies. And it is very strictly enforced. So you can forget that idea.

I have seen some of the campgrounds closed with bars across the entry road. So I'm guessing that's how they all are physically closed.

There are campgrounds that will be physically open in the Cherokee National Forest, but with limited amenites. I've stayed at the ones in the Chilhowee area in late November, but the bathroom facilities were winterized. The ones with vault toilets are usable. My advice is to check the ranger district on those.

Otherwise, stick with commercial campgrounds, as someone suggested.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
In Tennessee, you will find LOTS of commercial campgrounds still open in Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg, Cosby and Wallen as well as in Townsend. Many of the NFS campgrounds as well as some roads will close with inclement (snow) weather.

You can drive into the GSMNP for day trips, which should only take you 30-45 minutes.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

rav
Explorer
Explorer
last year we spent 2 weeks on the Tennessee side and 2 weeks on the North Carolina side and the NC side seemed to be quieter and less crowded.
we stayed near Maggie Valley in North Carolina at the Pride Resort (found it on Passport America) very nice park. there were several RV parks in the area too.
I would call the campgrounds to see if they are open.