cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Winter temp

buc1980
Explorer
Explorer
At what temp I got to be worry that the pipe will freeze.
2017 Ford F350 DRW,2005 Kountry Star 35ft,16750 lb weight on SAILUN tire,6 points LIPPERD Level-up.New Mor/ryde IS suspension install.Full body paint 2022.RV flex roof 2023
13 REPLIES 13

temccarthy1
Explorer
Explorer
Vette Racer wrote:
If it's going to be below 28 for more than 4 hours and the trailer is outside, winterize.

X2-- This is CORRECT!
Tim, Ramona and dog Scruffy
1982 Coleman Sun Valley PUP (retired)
2014 Keystone Bullet 285RLS Ultralite TT
2013 Ford Expedition XLT 5.4L Triton V8
Equalizer E2 hitch

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
Vette Racer wrote:
If it's going to be below 28 for more than 4 hours and the trailer is outside, winterize.

Like he said.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

billyray50
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:
Water freezes at 32 degrees.

and keep in mind all the water lines in an RV are plastic and have a VERY small diameter with cheap plex fittings. Not even close to what your house has for water lines!

Wait if you will for 20 degrees but you will have frozen lines and blown out plex fittings at 32 degrees. :W

It all depends on where camper is located and how frequently one is going to use it. Op is located in Houston. I live in North Dallas. Have not winterized FW yet. Last winter kept the FW stored in Upstate New York in inside storage facility which of course winterized but brought camper back to Dallas for the winter. Plan on using it soon to camp here and Florida. Plugged in to power and set the furnace to 50 degrees for now. Suppose to dip to 29 for 2 nights but warm up to 50's during the day. My FW is 4 season rated. Enclosed heated tanks, Heated Utility center & storage bay, and heated and enclosed low point drains.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Water freezes at 32 degrees.

and keep in mind all the water lines in an RV are plastic and have a VERY small diameter with cheap plex fittings. Not even close to what your house has for water lines!

Wait if you will for 20 degrees but you will have frozen lines and blown out plex fittings at 32 degrees. :W

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Vette_Racer
Explorer
Explorer
KE5NCP
2016 Ram CC Dually, 2011 HitchHiker 349 RSB DA, 2018 Wrangler unlimited Rubicon

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
I start to worry in the mid-20s. If I'm still thinking of heading out or if the cold isn't going to stick around for long I'll run a couple space heaters to keep the trailer in the mid-50 or so. The new plastic pipes are pretty durable.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Relistically,

-2.7 C or 27 F overnight is going to be ok, if day time temperatures are 5 C or 41 F.

Why?

Because of thermal mass.

I've done lots of modifications and have boondocked at -37 c (-34 f)
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
In my 6th grade science class, many many decades ago, I learned that water freezes at 32 degrees. Since that was so long ago, it may have changed. I am not sure.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
I got to be worry when its in the 20z
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I got "surprised" with a 30F temperature in Lone Pine this March. If I'd have known the prediction I would have taken precautions. Was lucky.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Somwewhere in the 20s.
It was 5 at the house last night. I am going camping in the RV in a few weeks.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
In all reality, 32 degrees F. If you had no heat in your camper and it sat in 32 degree weather for a year, the pipes would be frozen. The only thing that delays the freezing process is how well insulated your camper is and much heat can be generated to offset the 32 degree temperature before that 32 degree temperature penetrates and starts freezing things up.

For each of us, it's a gamble how much into the 32 or below temps we travel. To be absolutely safe-absolutely!... Winterize when temps are 33 degrees and you'll have nothing to ever worry about.

To be comfortable, do it when temps are 55 so you won't freeze your fingers getting wet! :B

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Impossible to say since it varies depending on a number of factors:

1) The actual construction of your unit
2) The temperature
3) The length of time at below freezing temps
4) Possibly the wind conditions.

But far below freezing in the teens or lower is an instant cause for concern. Mid twenties would have to stay at that temp for a longer period of time. And so on.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper