cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bird Watching

dturm
We live one county west of a major Sandhill Crane flyway stop - it's in Jasper/Pulaski county wildlife area. We went last weekend and saw an estimated 5000 Sandhill cranes landing and resting near sunset.

I just got in from walking the dogs and we had a flight go overhead aimed straight for the overnight stop. They have a very distinctive call when in flight and on the ground.

They overwinter in Florida (and elsewhere). Tonight's low is supposed to be about 19 with wind making for a chilly night. I wish we were heading that way too.
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV
7 REPLIES 7

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
That's a LOT of cranes!! Very cool - a small community in SW Michigan (Fennville) always has a "Crane Fest" each fall. And since they are already in FL by the time we arrive, we refer to our trip down as "chasing cranes".
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

eubank
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of them head down here to the Rio Grande bosque. Many activities down at Bosque del Apache near Socorro; the yearly event, coming up soon, is called Festival of the Cranes.
๐Ÿ™‚
Lynn

Little_Kopit
Explorer
Explorer
I watch birds world wide. Here at home I find them by walking or driving, but not in groups with binoculars.

The Internet has given us so much on birds. I catch sites in middle Europe and the UK, Of course in all of N. Am. & Hawaii, but somehow not S. Am. There certainly are great sites in the line of Mississippi Flyway or Loon nesting.....

I catch them in AU and NZ, but some how not the rest of Asia or currently in Africa.

There is a little peregrine in Melbourne, http://www.367collinsfalcons.com.au/, who is one of 3 hatchlings and the last almost ready to fledge.

Florida and Gerogia look like they are working from nestorations to egg laying.

If folks have sites to fill in more of the world, I would welcome them. We learn so much via these days.

:B
& I, I took the road less travelled by.

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
We ran across the Jasper/Pulaski wildlife area years ago as we were headed south for the winter from northern Indiana. What a site! We didn't know what they were back then. We just knew they were BIG birds. I think the sign was up alerting us to the identify of the birds. But we had never seen them before. We pulled the motorhome off to the side of the road to look and take pictures. LOL

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
They are common in our neck of the woods where we live in FL. We lived on acreage surrounded by acreage and there were breeding grounds nearby.
VERY NOISEY! Holy cow, they would wake the dead. Beautiful fliers.

Their mating dance is very entertaining.

They are protected in Florida.
Few know they are hunted in Texas.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Wonderful experience. Weโ€™ve seen thousands of pelicans on the California Central Coast over a 48 hour period...but just once.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

LadyRVer
Explorer
Explorer
They are beautiful birds. Have them here in the park. Come on down, in the 80's
today.