cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to price a TT that has been lived in for 5 years?

janegowest
Explorer
Explorer
We are looking at a TT that has been lived in full-time, in one location. It has not been moved, except to change owners, from the first to the second.

It is priced according to NADA, but I would think that NADA pricing is for recreational use. Rigs that have been lived in would have a lot more wear and tear on them...they ave two large dogs as well. I wonder if it affects the structure overall...particularly, of the flooring?

Also, the slides have not been moved for the 1.5 years that this last couple has been living in it. It's a 2012 Cougar 321RES. I really like the floorplan more than anything else that I've seen, including fifth wheels. The kitchen is especially nice.

Going to see it tomorrow...a private party...they are asking $18,000 for it, and I'm wondering what we should offer on it.

Would appreciate your help in this matter! Thank you! 🙂
26 REPLIES 26

gtnsmlr
Explorer
Explorer
Deduct the cost of all appliances, tires and anything else that moves.
The older we get, the faster we go

janegowest
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for your help! We decided to pass on even going to see it. Many valid points made!

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't consider it either. I'm sure your going to go take a look so - ask them to run the slides in and out. The expression on their face should be telling. I'm betting that if they do, they will first have to clean the derbies accumulated on top of the slides first. I'm betting there will be an excuse for not doing so.

I'm sure the dogs have been on the furniture. You will most likely need new tires, mattress, the list goes on.

Let us know how it turns out!
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
Wouldn't even consider it. There are a lot of lightly used travel trailers available. six years old, full timers, two owners and large animals wouldn't even be on the radar. Our trailer was six years old when we bought it and had never been slept in. They are out there. I would sacrifice floor plan preference to get a mint condition trailer. $18k also doesn't sound like such a great deal.

shelbyfv
Explorer
Explorer
Two large dogs living in it daily for five years? Ugh. Maybe give it a scan with a UV light if still on the fence.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Think I'd offer 1/2 asking. I bet it's beat.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

janegowest
Explorer
Explorer
LOL...Yes, I know about water damage from leaks. I know how to look for them on the ceiling, around skylights, inside cabinets, under sinks, around toilets, slides, testing the floors to see if there are any soft spots, pushing on the walls to see if they are soft, etc. I know about delam and can spot it right away. I know about the coin test for unseen delam, too.

We were on the topic of damage from dogs, so my thoughts went immediately to dogs having accidents on the floor, which would cause water damage.

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
Fwiw
I bought mobile home,house once whos owner had dogs and cats living with them and it did smell like it and had cat dog hair everywhere..

I had to get rid of the carpets,paint all wood with Oil based paint to kill the odor of urine and wash all walls top to bottom with Pine sol to make it clean and livable.
Well worth it as I got awesome deal on that piece of land..

I would not do this with TT

If it had furniture you would need to steam clean all to be sure no critters hide in it,easier would be to toss the furniture and buy new stuff.

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
"Run away, Run away"... Well, that's what I would do.. 😉

What are your intentions of owning an RV? Is it to plop it on a site and live in it too, or travel the country? Or just long weekend trips or ??

Back in 2002 I started looking at "used rv's".. Scared the heck out of me and these were one's on DEALERS LOTS! Smelled to holly heck, damage beyond anything I've ever seen before and they were asking almost new RV prices!

Anyway, I ended up buying NEW and I still own that same rig to this day and totally satisfied with that choice..

But, you gotta do what you gotta do, so smell away!

Good luck, Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
by your post,you don,t know much about tt, these are not mobil homes, tt are built as cheap as possible the walls are about two inchs thick with NO insulation. if your going to buy this tt please pay a mobile tech. to inspect it.

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
janegowest wrote:
azrving wrote:
Sometimes wheel bearings will pit right where the roller is touching the race while sitting. Not always but sometimes. I wouldn't head out on any long trips without a good inspection.

You can smell it and see it but most importantly is finding any water damage. It's not cheap but you can replace cushions and fabrics or ac units or refrigerators but you don't want to even think about water damage. Be happy if you buy used and the $1800 fridge dies vs your foot going through the floor

Water damage from pet urine?

NO, water damage from leaking roof, joints, windows, antenna, AC unit etc. Oh my God yer scaring me. Lol Are you familiar with what it takes to avoid buying a damaged one?

janegowest
Explorer
Explorer
azrving wrote:
Sometimes wheel bearings will pit right where the roller is touching the race while sitting. Not always but sometimes. I wouldn't head out on any long trips without a good inspection.

You can smell it and see it but most importantly is finding any water damage. It's not cheap but you can replace cushions and fabrics or ac units or refrigerators but you don't want to even think about water damage. Be happy if you buy used and the $1800 fridge dies vs your foot going through the floor

Water damage from pet urine?

janegowest
Explorer
Explorer
BarneyS wrote:
Moved to TT forum from DIY.

That is strange...I had specifically posted in TT, but thanks for doing that!

janegowest
Explorer
Explorer
westernrvparkowner wrote:
As for the chassis, if they haven't moved it in 5 years, take that advice others have given and get it professionally inspected if everything else is to your liking. Lubrication of the axles, hubs and the like depend upon movement. Tires rot and many other items benefit from usage. This is a big enough purchase to get professional help.

Should I get a mobile tech to check it out? If the axles need lubrication, how is it done? Is it something that my DH can do? Tires! That's a great point!

Yes, pet odors, I can detect right away!

Thanks to all, who have added to the discussion!