cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dog In Camper

MrSeven21
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Folks, we have an 8 yr old German Shepard that we would like to take alone on a trip in the near future. Most stops on our trip will be out door type activity's , which are not a problem. The issue that we are facing is what to do with the dog when we go into say an amusement park? Our guy is not much of a barker so leaving him in the camper as long as ac is on would work. Or would it? We would never leave him tied up outside. Just wondering what others do in this situation? Thanks in advance.
2004 F-250 Crewcab 6.0 Diesel 4x4
2009 Rockwood Roo
29 REPLIES 29

Tin-bender
Explorer
Explorer
Well, when we plan a trip and have all day excursions in mind at certain places, we most often book an RV park/camping spot in advance. We always try to book a boarding kennel/day care facility for our dogs close to where we will be for that day. The dogs seem to enjoy their day
"out" away from the camper, and it is always a great time for bath and grooming.

Toolguy5
Explorer
Explorer
Happytraveler wrote:
Toolguy5 wrote:
When we are in the 5er we have a Guardzilla camera we turn on when we leave. We leave the TV on as well. With the camera we can see what she is doing as well as what is going on in the 5er.
She will get on one of the sofas and look out the window that we leave the shade up so she can see.

When at home we use the camera as well to keep an eye on her. She will lay by the front window and door to wait for us.

The Guardzillas camera is wifi. We use the Verizon myfi when we travel. With the camera we can see her, listen to her as well as talk to her.

I'm curious, how much data is used when you leave a camera on.

Only time you use data is when you observe and watch.
Dan & Patty
Miss Pickles the Pomeranian Princess Rainbow Bridge 8/8/2023
2020 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali 6.6 Duramax / Allison tranny
2021 Jayco Eagle 319MLOK
BWRVK 3710 companion
Maddy the Pampered Pom @ Rainbow Bridge 12-3-2013

Campinghoss
Explorer
Explorer
The amount of data used is negligible. As a matter of fact we keep our temp stik on at home 24/7. We set it to check every hour. When we leave we also have a Cloud cam in the house to keep an eye on things. Data usage for both of them is very very low.
Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
MorRyde IS with disc brakes
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucie our fur baby
Lucky 9/15/2007 - 1/30/2023

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
I use the dog as an excuse to get out of those all day excursions. I'd love to go with you all, but I've got to stay here with dog! Sorry, have fun though. lol.

But yes we run the generator for the AC when we leave dog for a few hours. I'm going to look into some of the monitoring devices in this thread, that would ease my mind considerably when we're out for a while.
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

Happytraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Toolguy5 wrote:
When we are in the 5er we have a Guardzilla camera we turn on when we leave. We leave the TV on as well. With the camera we can see what she is doing as well as what is going on in the 5er.
She will get on one of the sofas and look out the window that we leave the shade up so she can see.

When at home we use the camera as well to keep an eye on her. She will lay by the front window and door to wait for us.

The Guardzillas camera is wifi. We use the Verizon myfi when we travel. With the camera we can see her, listen to her as well as talk to her.

I'm curious, how much data is used when you leave a camera on.
Charlie, a male Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier
Katie, a female Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier

DOTLDaddy
Nomad
Nomad
Toolguy5 wrote:
.... With the camera we can see what she is doing as well as what is going on in the 5er.

I'm thinking that you probably need at least three cameras to see whats going on in your 5er! :B

Walter & Garland - Camp Canine caretakers
Miss Inga (aka "Shorty") - 10 y.o. old GSD.
Gen. Gretchen - Joined Rainbow Div., June 27, 2017 at age 13
Gen. Missy - Joined Rainbow Div., June 11,2006 at age 12
2018 Montana HC305RL 5th wheel
2018 Silverado HD 6.0L

Toolguy5
Explorer
Explorer

Dan & Patty
Miss Pickles the Pomeranian Princess Rainbow Bridge 8/8/2023
2020 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali 6.6 Duramax / Allison tranny
2021 Jayco Eagle 319MLOK
BWRVK 3710 companion
Maddy the Pampered Pom @ Rainbow Bridge 12-3-2013

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Please make sure you obey all park rules such as not leaving a dog unattended, either inside or outside the vehicle. He might not be much of a barker with you around but you do not know what happens when you are away. I would also suggest getting a temperature alarm of some sort just in case there is a power outage when you are away from the unit.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

SkullAndSquirre
Explorer
Explorer
We have dogs and sometimes like to be away from the trailer for a couple hours. There is an app/gadget that will allow you to monitor temp inside your coach while you are away, if it gets too hot, come back because you know your AC tripped. Also, Milwaukee makes a fan that runs off their tool battery that lasts a few hours when set to low. Our guys were good for 2-3 hours, but the younger male just tried to mark something in the trailer, so now he is going in then kennel during away times. Now we only go for an hour to 90 mins.

Campinghoss
Explorer
Explorer
Not knowing if your dogs bark is not a true statement. We know for sure that ours not only does not bark, they don't drink water or eat while we are out. We have a Amazon Cloud cam with audio as well as video in real time. We can actually talk to the dogs and if they bark we can hear them. We also use a temp stick to monitor temp and humidity as well as it notifies us in it loses the connection. The way we know if we have a power failure is the ceiling fan would stop spinning. In addition to the above I always leave a key fob with either the cg host or a work camper in case something bad happens. In all our years of travelling I have yet to run into a cg that will not let us leave a key and they call us if power does go off.
Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
MorRyde IS with disc brakes
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucie our fur baby
Lucky 9/15/2007 - 1/30/2023

richclover
Explorer
Explorer
Happytraveler wrote:
richclover wrote:
We got one of these for the house and will get another for next year in the camper.

Works great!

https://www.sensoredlife.com/#/promotions?pid=RV

www.sensoredlife.com

RV “deal”, lower left. Looks like $20 off promo.

We have Sensoredlife, too. When we're not RVing we use it in our house. We have the plan $99.00 a year. The unit is really dependable.

We’ll leave one in the house, along with the alarm system, for time away and get another unit to watch the camper and pups while we’re away.

You shoulda seen the graphs after I “tested” the sensor by unplugging it and putting it in the kitchen freezer for 10 minutes!

Works great... email alerts within 5 minutes.
Rich
2019 RAM 1500 Classic 4X4 Hemi
2021 CanAm Maverick DS Turbo
Southern NV

Happytraveler
Explorer
Explorer
richclover wrote:
We got one of these for the house and will get another for next year in the camper.

Works great!

https://www.sensoredlife.com/#/promotions?pid=RV

www.sensoredlife.com

RV “deal”, lower left. Looks like $20 off promo.

We have Sensoredlife, too. When we're not RVing we use it in our house. We have the plan $99.00 a year. The unit is really dependable.
Charlie, a male Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier
Katie, a female Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier

TheLuvShack
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Dutch,
Dogs were probably barking at that cat! LOL
"If the women don't find you handsome, they better find you handy". Red Green

Daryl

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
We take our chow / lab mix with us all the time. In fact, he loves to come along and we love to have him along. He's 108 pounds so not a small pup.

Couple things. We leave him alone at him all the time when we go say shopping but he has his 'special place' to stay when we are gone, in this case the bedroom on his dog bed. We take his bedroom dog bed along in the camper so he has a familiar place that he knows is his.

AC on, we don't have ac in our unit and we leave the windows open (with screens of course.

We have a truck camper so space is at a premium anyway. Our pup sleeps on the floor in front of the dining table...

We use collapsable dog bowls for water and food.

We use a retractable dog leash and tie him out when he's outside with it (attached to the camper). We never leave him outside alone.

When travelling, he rides in the backseat (we have a 4 door truck with a full sized backseat), window slightly open so he can get his snout out but thats it. You should never allow a dog to have his head out, they get gunk in their eyes and ears when riding with their heads out....

When we stop at a rest area we let him relieve himelf and we always carry Walmart plastic shopping bags with us to pick up the poop. real simple, no touch and easily disposable in the trash at any rest area. We do the same when camping but we always camp disbursed (never in a campground, we don't like crowded camping).

He's a great companion and with a little common sense, having a pup along is not any inconvenience, in fact, it's a plus.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB