cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Aftermarket Backup Camera

SETenn
Explorer
Explorer
I pulled the trigger on a 2011 F250 this week and was wondering if anyone out there is using an aftermarket backup camera. This truck has the warning signal when you get too close to an object but I would really like a camera as well. I would prefer a wireless one. What do you guys recommend?
8 REPLIES 8

K-9_HANDLER
Explorer
Explorer
https://camera-source.com/automotive-cams/ford-oe-fit.html
Replaces rear view mirror for a stock mount look also has others to pick from.
Camping near home at Assateague National Seashore with our wild four legged friends

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
mich800 wrote:
gbopp wrote:
My 08 Suburban has a beeper and camera. I don't like the camera, I would rather use the mirrors or turn and look where I'm going.
I think too many people become overly dependent on backup cameras, as they do to GPS units.
But, that's just my opinion and we all know what it's worth. ๐Ÿ™‚

I would drive your truck for awhile and see if you really need/want the camera.

Backing requires all senses. I am the same way but cameras are very handy. You can begin backing out of a spot and see oncoming vehicles or pedestrians with a camera long before you are out far enough to see with the mirrors or looking over your shoulder. I do not rely solely on the camera but it is a feature that makes it safer particularly in parking lots or areas with vehicles that block the sides of your vision.

Ditto on that you need to watch your mirrors and the camera both, neither does the complete job.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
My 08 Suburban has a beeper and camera. I don't like the camera, I would rather use the mirrors or turn and look where I'm going.
I think too many people become overly dependent on backup cameras, as they do to GPS units.

Backing requires all senses. I am the same way but cameras are very handy. You can begin backing out of a spot and see oncoming vehicles or pedestrians with a camera long before you are out far enough to see with the mirrors or looking over your shoulder. I do not rely solely on the camera but it is a feature that makes it safer particularly in parking lots or areas with vehicles that block the sides of your vision.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Look at this Pyle, Amazon has it: Camera

It makes backing up that long truck a lot easier since it has a huge dead space behind the truck that is invisible to the driver. This camera also has a hitch up mode for TT that has guide lines just for that. It guides you right into the trailer ball. I was surprised to see how easy it made the process. It's cheap too.

That backup beeper has so many false alarms that you tend to ignore it after awhile. A good rainstorm that leaves wet dirt on one of the lenses will drive it crazy for example.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Dave_in_TN
Nomad
Nomad
I put the Hopkins Smart Hitch on my 2010 F150. It includes the beepers, which my truck didn't have, so that would be redundant. But the install is pretty simple as it uses the existing 7 pin connector harness to facilitate switching on in reverse, and powering it. The only wire you have to run is the monitor wire, from back up to your cab wherever you mount it. That was simple, and the entire install took me less than an hour.

https://www.etrailer.com/p-HM50002.html

While I agree with some of the comments that relying on a camera solely may not be good, I have a daughter with down syndrome who lacks the awareness of the danger of a moving vehicle, and having that visual, along with my mirrors and the beep sensors, combine to make for a safer environment IMO. I simply have too much of a blind spot behind my truck using mirrors alone.
Dave & Christy / 5 Awesome Girls (28,26,24, 18 and 16)
2021 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS
2019 Ford F-350 SRW 6.7

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer

ib516
Explorer
Explorer
I got one off Amazon, works great, came with a screen, but it's not wireless. I have tried those before and find that in urban areas they suffer from interference frequently. The wired set up is a bit of a pain to install, but the picture is always sharp and clear. Mine's an Auto-vox M1. I think it was about $40. I find it very handy when hitching up the RV and when parking.

There is a wireless version of the same set up for about $80.
Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV

Busdriver
Explorer
Explorer
Have had both prefer the beeper. Easier to listen too the beeper than look at a screen

Busdriver

2019 2500 Chevy Duramax , - 2017 Grand Design 303 RLS