cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

winterizing

Npdchief07
Explorer
Explorer

I don't know if the picture will show so I will describe.

I don't know if my 2019 Wildwood has a bypass valve on the hot water heater. There are two valves. One on the cold line and one on the hot with a blue (cold water) line running between them.

Also I have tried to turn the valves but am afraid to force and they are not moving easily. It is currently cold here but we have not had days below freezing, just the mornings.

Any ideas or suggestions?
10 REPLIES 10

eaton3122
Explorer
Explorer
Agree with the other posts here. I’ve got a 2019 Wildwood also, so my setup is just like this. Both valves should turn 1/4 turn clockwise. I just did mine tonight, and they were fairly tight as well. No pliers needed though, just held the valve with one hand while twisting with the other. Good luck!
2019 Forest River Wildwood X-Lite 282QBXL
2017 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 4x4

temccarthy1
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
ksg5000 wrote:
Turn both valves upwards (1/4 turn) .. will bi-pass the hot water tank and route the pink fluid in the cold water line to the hot water line. Easy peasy.

On the top valve, extra hole should be facing up, opposite the bypass. This would require turning top lever down, to move hole open to bypass, and hole open to the right line, away from heater. Can't see bottom lever very well, but to divert water to bypass, this one would be up.

Jerry

This answer is correct! If they are too tight, put a pliers on them.. top one turn down and bottom one turn up. Both valves will then be facing vertically to bypass your WH
Tim, Ramona and dog Scruffy
1982 Coleman Sun Valley PUP (retired)
2014 Keystone Bullet 285RLS Ultralite TT
2013 Ford Expedition XLT 5.4L Triton V8
Equalizer E2 hitch

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
ksg5000 wrote:
Turn both valves upwards (1/4 turn) .. will bi-pass the hot water tank and route the pink fluid in the cold water line to the hot water line. Easy peasy.

On the top valve, extra hole should be facing up, opposite the bypass. This would require turning top lever down, to move hole open to bypass, and hole open to the right line, away from heater. Can't see bottom lever very well, but to divert water to bypass, this one would be up.

Jerry

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Kevin

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have this system but I suspect the valves are quarter turn plastic on plastic which tends to take a set over time which makes them difficult to turn. You may want to hold the valve body while turning the handle.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

jerryjay11
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with Grandpa. Those are 3-way valves or they wouldn't have three ports for the plumbing. Turning the valves will close off to tank and open the bypass (blue line).

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
Yep = looks like a simple two valve system. As Jim said, turning the valve on the cold line will send it 'up the tube instead of into the tank and turning the valve on the hot line will receive that water and directed back out the hot line. Definitely a bypass system there. Some plier might give you a bit of leverage on the valves without feeling like you are going to break something.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
My heater has a similar set up, but uses one extra valve. My two water in/out valves are closer to entry/exit ports, and my third valve is in the middle of bypass hose. In any case the flow goes with the direction of lever, with lever at 90 degrees to line being shut off.

Jerry

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Probably 3 way valves. Try what Jerry said.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
It appears from pic that your two valve system will stop flow to heater by placing the levers to line with blue center hose. Set the way they are now would allow flow to in/out of WH. In my experience the valves turn hard from not using, but once broke loose, will turn quite easily.

Jerry