cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

3 way transfer switch?

Hemi_Joel
Explorer
Explorer
HI, does anyone know if there is a 3 way transfer switch available that will accept input from the shore power line, the generator, and the inverter, then automatically select the power source in order of priority and feed it to the RV 120v electric system?

THanks,
JOel
2018 Eagle Cap 1163 triple slide, 400W solar, MPPT, on a 93 Dodge D350 Cummins, DTT 89 torque converter, big turbo, 3 extra main leafs, Rancho 9000s rear, Monroe gas magnums front, upper overloads removed, home made stableloads, bags.
11 REPLIES 11

Hemi_Joel
Explorer
Explorer
That's an idea. Put it down stream of the main breaker box, just on the circuit for the outlets
2018 Eagle Cap 1163 triple slide, 400W solar, MPPT, on a 93 Dodge D350 Cummins, DTT 89 torque converter, big turbo, 3 extra main leafs, Rancho 9000s rear, Monroe gas magnums front, upper overloads removed, home made stableloads, bags.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Or a small transfer switch just on the circuit you want.

Hemi_Joel
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, thanks for all the help. I aleady have a 1100 watt inverter that I got free out of an ambulance. I would like to use it. Maybe I should just install separate out let's for the inverter to it doesn't try to run the converter/charger off of the inverter?

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
AIMS had one. Model# PWR3AXFER30 Has been discontinued.

Should be able to accomplish what you want with two transfer switches in series. Probably more reliable too.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Joel,

You can achieve this and it is actually more simple than you might expect. At a clients request, I installed an transfer switch, and an inverter/charger that had an internal transfer. Now, if there was shore power, the system would chose that, if there was no shore power, the inverter would fill the need, and if the house bank went down or the load exceeded that inverter's capacity, the genset would fire up and go on line. The only thing missing was that the inverter sense circuit didn't always want to turn off the genset and take up the load with the house bank.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer

My coach already has a Shore/Generator transfer relay (K1). I added a 120 volt 30 amp relay (K2) that feeds most of my AC outlets.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

Cydog15
Explorer
Explorer
You can buy 2 30 amp units that are generally cheaper and get the same result.
Shore power and gen power into the first one and the output of that and inverter into the second one. Output from that one to the distribution panel.
About $75 each at bestconverter.com

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
Hemi Joel wrote:
HI, does anyone know if there is a 3 way transfer switch available that will accept input from the shore power line, the generator, and the inverter, then automatically select the power source in order of priority and feed it to the RV 120v electric system?

I don't think that is a practical thing to do.

For the inverter to carry an unknown portion of the total RV load.....possibly when nobody is around.....you would need a large and expensive inverter AND a huge amount of battery capacity.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Take two off the shelf and wire em together

Or build one with a triple throw double pole relay and some supporting components.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Victron has an inverter charger that allows for two 120 volt inputs from differing sources.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Not what you asked for, but the Samlex inverter/charge/transfer switch "all in one" does exactly what you ask for. It can be wired to start a generator.