cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How far is too far?

TBammer
Explorer
Explorer
Who here has bought a trailer long distance? I live in Mid-Michigan and I am slowly settling in on a Arctic Fox 25W as our next trailer (now that I beat the heck out of our first one through inexperience). Problem is the closest dealers are either in Cincinnati, OH or somewhere on the other side of Lake Michigan. What are the pitfalls of buying long distance? Any advice on the best way to handle such a transaction?
2016 Chevy 2500 HD, 6.0 gasser, 4.10 dif
2019 Arctic Fox 25W
Reese Pro-Series WD Hitch
32 REPLIES 32

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
If you know what you want, and that unit is few and far between.....weโ€™ve traveled 1300 miles (one way) to look at a unit. We just called it a mini(shopping)-vacation! Over the past 20 years, from Wyoming, weโ€™ve traveled to: Illinois, California (twice), Galveston, Tx., and Phoenix, Az
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
We just drove 6 hours this past Friday to pick up our new GD Imagine. There is a closer dealer but they did not have the model we wanted in stock and there was several thousand difference in price. Road trip!

mudhound
Explorer
Explorer
went 50 miles 1st time
went 400 miles 2nd
went 400 mile again 3rd time
will go anywhere for the 4th one
:C

God Bless

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you find what you want at a price you want some distance away what does it cost to go get it? $250 per day maybe for fuel, hotel & food? The return trip is the vacation part.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

DickOK
Explorer
Explorer
We live in Tucson AZ. Ordered a Bighorn from dealer in Michigan in 2009. Ordered our next Bighorn in Las Vegas in 2017. GREAT deals and no problems with service.
Dick OK

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
Bought the Escape direct from the manufacturer in Chilliwack BC, pretty much the only way to get a molded fiberglass trailer. Most make the drive to get them but I had mine delivered 3100 miles due to work limitations. I've had no issues other then with Dometic appliances and the local mobile tech takes care of those.
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA

Splashers3
Explorer
Explorer
We live in Southern MD and drove to the Cincinnati area to purchase our signature Cedar Creek 5ver....Immediately after our walk-thru and paperwork, we headed off to the Amish Family RV for their inspection and some pre-cautionary work.

We saved over $5K, and have piece of mind (for now) after visiting AFRV - which all work was billed to the factory.
2017 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali, C/C, D/A, DRW, w/40gal Aux tank, 18K B&W Patriot.
2019 Cedar Creek Hathaway, 34RL2 - w/Bells & Whistles and disc brakes
Traded 2009 Cedar Creek Silverback, GII, 32 WRL

JesLookin
Explorer
Explorer
We bought our AF about 400 miles away from home. Stayed at a local KOA for a few days to hopefully catch any defects. We did find one minor problem. The dealer came to the KOA and fixed the problem. The AF has been trouble free since, about five years.
2013 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2014 Ram 3500 6.7L CTD, Crew Cab

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Live in Bermuda. Bought truck and trailer private sale in TX. Far enough? Never buy new. Buy what you want wherever it is slightly used with bugs worked out & big hit in depreciation.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
We traveled about 500 miles to buy our Arctic Fox, and haven't had to do anything major to it. Definitely no warranty work needed, but I have always read that Northwoods will authorize other dealers to work on the trailers because they don't have many dealers. The worst of our troubles were stripped screws.

Some of the things people get worked up about and want fixed under warranty can be fixed in less time than it takes to complain about them. This is our second Arctic Fox, because we liked our first one so much.

The majority of time I have spent working on our new 5er is making it work as seamlessly as our last one.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
We purchased a used TT about 15 years ago in Rhode Island - 11 hours from home. No warranty, but we saved $8K on what we could find one around here.

Our last fifth wheel, we purchased in Ohio, a 5 1/2 hr drive from home. Yes, we took it back for some service work, but our closest dealer is about 1 1/2 hrs from home and service work there usually takes 6-8 weeks. (That's with the camper sitting at their dealership). We drove it up, dropped it off in Ohio and went back 10 days later to pick it up. It was ready 6 days after drop-off, but we didn't have the time to go get it then. We drove up after work, spent the night in our camper, which had hookups and brought her on home. It took a bit of time, but we found that if we had a good dealership with good service work, it more than made up for the fact that we had to travel a few hours. The warranty only lasts for a year, so that doesn't seem to be a negative to me. If the service is good and quick, it makes up for the mileage.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
TBammer wrote:
Who here has bought a trailer long distance? I live in Mid-Michigan and I am slowly settling in on a Arctic Fox 25W as our next trailer (now that I beat the heck out of our first one through inexperience). Problem is the closest dealers are either in Cincinnati, OH or somewhere on the other side of Lake Michigan. What are the pitfalls of buying long distance? Any advice on the best way to handle such a transaction?
Before going that far, what other brands have you considered? Have you seen Grand Design? Go to General RV in either Wayland or Wixom Michigan and check out the Reflection Series Fifth wheels. There's one in Brownstown twp if your that far east. Just a thought...

Good luck
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Beentherefixedt
Explorer
Explorer
I was in Minot ND when I bought my trailer from a dealer in Chicago and hauled it back to ND in a very bad snow and wind storm...the first of that season.

I did spend and ENTIRE DAY doing a dealer inspection before paying the money and getting every little detail fixed. This included pulling one wheel on each side and checking bearings as well as all systems in both AC and DC modes. I left no stone unturned.

All went well. NO problems with titles or anything else.

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
We bought our first new trailer from a Chicago dealer 2000 miles away.
We drove there and back to get it, making the return leg into a camping trip.
Saved over $4500 off a $23k MSRP trailer, even after trip costs.
Forest River found us numerous local dealers willing to do the warranty work.
Would do it again in a heartbeat.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes