cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

INVERTER Idle Current An Response Time

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
My old Trace is supposed to have an idle current of .004 amperes (24 volt) and response time of <30 milliseconds.

Has the industry improved upon this significantly -- other than the Samlex with zero crossing synchronization?
17 REPLIES 17

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Based on Mr Wiz's observation, I am changing my story on what is my "baseline" DC at 0.3 amps to now being mostly the inverter connected but off. I had no idea that was the case, but it makes sense that it has to be ready to turn on.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
For the same reason utilities do not buck AC service drops with a 5 pound transformerless box using SCRs and chopper circuits.

For the same reason a well designed battery charger with rectifiers and stout timer will outlive a solid state unit a hundred to one.

There is no p/n interface to punch holes through.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
Other than pure sine wave from 1988 to 2018 has brought pathetically little improvement in performance and a downgrade in quality and longevity.

I am very surprised at the mark up on modern PSWs ! Electronics in the past 5-10 years have improved so much in this area that (minus the transformer(s)) the cost difference between a MSW and a PSW in the 2000W range is probably less than $25 !

I have a EE background and the one thing no one has ever been able to explain is why do "low frequency" PSW seem to last so much longer than "high frequency" ?

MrWizard
my clamp on DC amp meter, directly on the inverter leads (it does 3 places decimal moves as needed)
not the battery to house leads or converter leads

can read .999 9.99 99.9 (2) scales 0-40 amp
or 41-400 amp Ac or DC
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
How fast does it need to be? Seems good enough in all conditions. Otherwise just leave it on idle instead of sleep.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
MrWizard wrote:
my 2000w PSW is around 280ma with batteries connected and remote switch off

turned on but NO connected loads, output cord disconnected/unplugged
around 700ma DC draw

I called that 0.280 ma my "baseline", and twice that when inverter on not loaded as being 0.3a inverter idle. How do you measure the "inverter" amps when the inverter is off as 0.3 (280), so not to mix in the LP alarm, etc baseline DC amps? Also to ma level--my Tri is only to one decimal, so 0.3a for me.

I don't think my inverter has any "sleep mode". It is on or off. When on and a load there is an efficiency. ISTR with inverters there is a range of efficiencies depending on the amount of load wrt the inverter's watt rating, with a sweet spot somewhere less than full but more than idle.

I think some people believe the amount lost to inefficiency is the same thing as the inverter's idle amps and you subtract that from the actual load draw. I don't think that is how it works at all.

Perhaps the comparison factors should include another one--relative efficiency and how flat is the curve along the top like with speakers?
Photo in Profile

MrWizard
my 2000w PSW is around 280ma with batteries connected and remote switch off

turned on but NO connected loads, output cord disconnected/unplugged
around 700ma DC draw
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Trace called it sleep mode. Other than pure sine wave from 1988 to 2018 has brought pathetically little improvement in performance and a downgrade in quality and longevity. Thirty years.

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
Idle? Most are close to one amp per thousand watts.

I think what you describe is a sleep mode where the inverter periodically searches for a load. I don't see any improvement in new inverters for this function this area either.

I tend to Agree.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Idle? Most are close to one amp per thousand watts.

I think what you describe is a sleep mode where the inverter periodically searches for a load. I don't see any improvement in new inverters for this function this area either.

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
Transfer time on ProSine 2.0 is 16 mil/sec, transfer is imperceptible - even runs the air cond... Unfortunately, Xantrex phased out this awesome inverter-charger and discontinued parts...They replaced it with the less robust (per surge ratings) Freedom XC...Xantrex bean-counters make me reluctant to go the Xantrex route again...Iโ€™m quite sure they earned their cost cutting bonuses...

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
The OP is talking about an inverter with a transfer switch. The idle current of "inverters" varies by type, where ordinary inverters have low ones and inverter/chargers have higher ones. I suppose an inverter with a transfer switch would be somewhere in the middle.

To measure it requires knowing your baseline amps without the inverter being on. Eg my baseline on the Trimetric is 0.3 amps and with the ordinary (no switch) on, but no load, that goes to 0.6 amps, so the idle is 0.3 amps (2000w PSW)
Photo in Profile

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
IN keep my Xantrex Freedom in "UPS" mode. if power is lost (has happened) and I don't have any non-inverter loads up. I may well not even notice.. TV does nto blink, Digital receivers do not blink Comptuers (Laptops) have internal power. A/C and space heaters go silent is all.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
.004 amp? That sounds more like a figure for a cell phone than an inverter.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman