cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2005 Acura MDX for Towing Boat

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all. This fall my family has purchased a 2008 Maxum 1800 SR3 boat with the 4.3L Mercruiser sterndrive. I haven`t weighed it yet but going by the manufacturer`s info I think it will weigh about 4,000 lbs loaded up.

Of course my truck handles the boat no problem but there will be times when we will be taking both the fiver and boat. Because double towing is illegal here in BC we will be forced to take 2 vehicles. My wife`s current vehicle is a 2005 Acura MDX with the 3.5L V6 and it has about 120k miles on it. It does not have the towing package so that would need to be added. This will consist of a transmission cooler, power steering cooler, hitch, and wiring harness. With this package added Acura states that the vehicle is rated to tow a 4,500 lb boat or 3,500 lb other trailer. I`m assuming this is due to the aerodynamic characteristics of a boat.

My wife has never towed before and some of our trips will consist of going over some high mountain passes. The MDX has plenty of power so I think it will be fine with that respect, but I`m concerned about handling and braking even though the boat trailer has surge brakes. I`m also a bit concerned about the transmission given the age and mileage of it.

I would appreciate others thoughts on this issue, and if anyone has any real world experience towing with an MDX it would be great to hear it. Maybe I`m overthinking this issue but I`m somewhat leaning towards buying an older 1500 pickup or Tahoe to tow it.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes
3 REPLIES 3

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
All wives are not created equal!! ๐Ÿ™‚ While my wife is good at many things, towing is not one of them. I would not even consider having her tow over high mt passes, even with a capable TV. Not knowing your wife, just that she has never towed, I would not start her out with a TV, that is just on the edge of capable. Yes, I think you'd be better off with a much more capable TV, rather than upgrade the one you have.

Jerry

Thanks, if it was me towing it I wouldn`t hesitate to use the MDX just because I have a significant amount of experience doing so. I think she will be fine because we plan on doing a couple of trial runs together prior to her towing without me in the vehicle with her. Plus when we are going over the passes she will likely follow me so I think she will be fine.

I`m really leaning towards buying a Tahoe or Yukon at this point. We will still keep the MDX because we really like it and it is a great vehicle overall, especially for city driving. The challenge will be finding a Tahoe or Yukon that doesn`t have a zillion miles on it or that someone doesn`t want a crazy amount of money for.....:B
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
All wives are not created equal!! ๐Ÿ™‚ While my wife is good at many things, towing is not one of them. I would not even consider having her tow over high mt passes, even with a capable TV. Not knowing your wife, just that she has never towed, I would not start her out with a TV, that is just on the edge of capable. Yes, I think you'd be better off with a much more capable TV, rather than upgrade the one you have.

Jerry

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
MDX is a nice vehicle. In fact I have a 2018. I added the factory hitch so I can tow my utility trailer. While your MDX might be rated at 4500 pounds I dont believe you or should I say your wife will be real happy. If you need the SUV, go buy a Tahoe and go happy.