cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ford 7 way plug

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
OK the 7 way plug on the back of my F350 is not working. I've almost never used it since my 5th wheel used the plug in the truck bed. I managed to get the plug off the truck and have my DMM testing the expected voltages and am not seeing what the pinout calls for. Ford assembled this plug with globs of some kind of grease. If it's conductive grease it looks like it would short out adjacent pins. When I say globs I mean they slathered the stuff on.

Any suggestions on this?
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper
7 REPLIES 7

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Dave H M wrote:
Hmmm I did not know that Ford had t way both in the rear bumper rea and also in the bed from the factory.

I had to install the in bed one in my Ford.

If not already done, I would suck my big belly in and slide under the bumper and see what is on the rear of the bumper area plug?

Yes, with the fifth wheel prep pkg, they came with in-bed, under bumper, from the factory.

If you had gotten 4X4....you would more easily fit under that bumper!:B

Jerry

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
Hmmm I did not know that Ford had t way both in the rear bumper rea and also in the bed from the factory.

I had to install the in bed one in my Ford.

If not already done, I would suck my big belly in and slide under the bumper and see what is on the rear of the bumper area plug?

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
First, that is non-conductive grease, likely silicon dielectric. Good stuff. Leave as much as possible.

"Not working" is very broad ! What SPECIFICALLY is not working and how are you testing it ?

Older trucks might be missing a relay and/or fuse. Newer ones could be a blown fuse. Even newer ones "sense" if you have a trailer connected and only then "turn on" power.

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
check your fuses you could have blown it plugging in if there trailer had a short
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
shum02 wrote:
Is the bed unit stock of aftermarket? If they are both installed by Ford both should be working simultaneously. If not perhaps who installed the bed unit disconnected the hitch unit to feed the bed unit.

Nope pure stock.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

shum02
Explorer
Explorer
Is the bed unit stock of aftermarket? If they are both installed by Ford both should be working simultaneously. If not perhaps who installed the bed unit disconnected the hitch unit to feed the bed unit.
2006 F350 Lariat FX4 CC 4x4 PSD
2007 KZ2505QSS-F Outdoorsman

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
If it has never been used you may need to install a couple of fuses. Might even be a relay needed but it has been a few too many years for me to remember.
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008