cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Buying used out of state?

kenzmad
Explorer
Explorer
Are there rv surveyors like there is for boats? Gonna start looking this spring for an Eagle Cap. Not many for sale around here, so expanding the search parameters.
1999 f350 cc psd long bed 4x4 with banks stinger. 3 guage pod,kwik intake,wicked wheel,ccv mod,BTS tranny, vision 19.5s,toyo m608s,rancho 9000, slotted and crossdrilled rotors, 2006 S&S 9.5fbsc
26 REPLIES 26

welsteach
Explorer
Explorer
Just put a deposit on a Bigfoot. Going to swing into the state on my way somewhere else. Rent a car from there. Talked to this guy extensively for three days, copious pictures, video, and even mentioned that I thought one of the seals on the roof looked cracked. He IMMEDIATELY crawled onto the roof resealed everything that needed it (two corners on a vent and then other stuff for good measure because he opened his sealant). Took pictures and sent them back to me even before the sealant had leveled out. Will see when I get there, but I can always back out.

kenzmad
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone, been following every response on here. Cannot wait for spring to get here. Just gotta get through these pesky winter months first.
1999 f350 cc psd long bed 4x4 with banks stinger. 3 guage pod,kwik intake,wicked wheel,ccv mod,BTS tranny, vision 19.5s,toyo m608s,rancho 9000, slotted and crossdrilled rotors, 2006 S&S 9.5fbsc

kohldad
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't trust an inpector. My daughter's father in-law had someone look at a vehcile for him. The inspector reported back minimal rust. Rust was so bad when he got it that 6 months later he bought an exact non-running version of the van and did a complete body swap. The inspector is only going to look from his perspective.

That said, if you find one in SC,coastal GA, or eastern TN area, I'll be glad to go look at it when I can for free under two conditions. First is that you have talked, not messaged/texted, to the seller on the phone numerous times and are serious about the unit. Second is you make sure you are available for me to talk to you on the phone while I'm standing there looking at it.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

whizbang
Explorer
Explorer
Dupe deleted...
Whizbang
2002 Winnebago Minnie
http://www.raincityhome.com/RAWH/index.htm

whizbang
Explorer
Explorer
I have shopped out of state and had perfectly mixed results.

Some folks are honest, others, not so much.

Just plan on blowing some air fare or gas as part of the cost of finding the right rig.
Whizbang
2002 Winnebago Minnie
http://www.raincityhome.com/RAWH/index.htm

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
ourjeeps wrote:

if the sale doesn't feel/seem right walk away

I've done this when just correspondence sounds hinky

ourjeeps
Explorer
Explorer
We've bought A LOT stuff out-of-state.but only after after careful, aware research.

You have to be smart, astute, and unafraid in this area.

If you live in a rural or sparsely populated area (we prefer to stay far away from urban areas/folks) when the time comes for shopping for specialty/classic/rare items of ANY sort (including nice RVs) statistically, locally it's slim pick'ins and you have to cast the line "far and wide" which also requires travel, patience, and research and savvy smarts.

Retireds and folks with flexible work schedules have an edge here. Work-a-day folks are largely stuck time-wise.

Today's digital technologies allow sharing copious amounts of digital media including photos and videos of prospective RVs/trailers/vehicles. Yes photos can be deceptive, inaccurate, or faked/substituted. So buyer beware.

As other posters have recommended, leverage friends and relatives that may be near or within an hour or so of the sale-item-of-interest to put some human eyes/hands on it. I also like the recommendation on using a possible years old Google satellite view of a property, to see what condition it is in and if relevant, shop/storage buildings present. In our experience, generally an owner ether takes good care of all his/her stuff, or they do not - it's a life style choice.

The search is best supported by a holistic "all-source intelligence" (military) view of the situation, e.g. a property owner with a poorly maintained property, and without interior storage buildings, won't likely own/maintain, or be able to offer e.g. a pristine RV. Once visiting on-site, you can see a shop, tools, other vehicles etc. that may be indicative of a diligent owner, or a pile of neglected vehicles on blocks... and a likely scam. The ladies also tend to have a degree of "feminine intuition" if the sale doesn't feel/seem right walk away you're just out the fuel and time, and disappointment with in a fellow human.

As always be smart, act smart, and be fully aware. Assume little, verify. Look for inconsistencies. There are Eagle Scouts/Boy/Girl Scouts out there - just not enough of them...

Good luck - there are always gems to be found - you have to be the hard-working and energetic finder.
American Coach American Dream 42G diesel pusher
F-350 PSD CC LB Dually w/Bigfoot 1500 9.5
Jeeps & Dogs
Good Sam Charter Life Member
God Bless America & Our Troops Overseas!!!

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
Road trips without or with the TC are always fun.

They are..In my case I bought my last two RV's in Montana..Montana has some great RV's for sale by owner being a western state with all the fishing and hunting..

First one was a Class C..Went over the pictures with a fine tooth comb and then I called and ask for two more..So we made the trip and when we got there,it was much better than the pictures showed in person..Took the test drive and did some money talk,then we bought it and drove home..Was a great Class C the whole time we had it without any issues..

Second was a truck camper in Hamilton Montana..Did the same as above and found out the guy bought it from an older widow was to tall for this truck camper, he used to pull his horses and rarely used it..It showed it so we talked money and bought it..He loaded it onto my truck and gave me some missing happi jack components for my truck,so know money out for tie downs...It has been a great TC without a leak to date..

I skip Boise and Spokane anymore on Craigs list and go strait to Missoula and Kallispel..I would not hesitate to travel to Montana again for an RV..
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Congratulations. WHERE ARE THE PICTURES ?

bb_94401
Explorer
Explorer
After several phone calls, pictures sent we bought a TC ~2,000 miles away. Paid with a Cashiers Check from a local to him Wells Fargo Bank, after inspecting the TC.

The one nice thing about Craigslist was that you could see the ad price history using google. Since he wasn't getting much interest at the various lowered prices, we negotiated the price down by the price of diesel to drive there.

Since I had max'd out the number of vacation days I could accumulate, and had been losing new ones for a year (too many >60 hour weeks), taking the time off was not an issue. Nor a big deal if the TC wasn't what it appeared. We had a nice trip there and back. Road trips without or with the TC are always fun.
'05 Ram 3500, 4x4, DRW, LB, 6spd man, CTD, PRXB exhaust brake, Roadmaster bar

'01 Corsair 10'8" - 4,200 lbs., Xantrex XADC 80A, Link 20, 4-Lifeline GPL-4CT, PowerGate Isolater, 2 AWG wire, PI 30A EMS, 2 Honda EU2000i, parallel kit, ext. duration tank.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
TxGearhead wrote:
Bought my Bigfoot used in Maryland. Saw it on RVT.com. Called and talked to the owner. Thought about it and called back next day. Settled on price assuming what he said the condition was. Got a cashiers check, drove 2 days to Maryland. Bought it. Loaded it. Drove it home.
You just have to make some judgements. Is the guy full of BS? Is his home maintained? Are his vehicles junk?

With today's technology lot of things are available.
Unless the seller is neighbour to Flip, google street view will show his property. Maybe not recent photo, but 1-2 years old will still show you how many cars he parks on his lawn.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Start looking now. Sometimes takes a while to find the โ€œrightโ€ one
I subscribe more to the plan Reality Check wrote. I buy most large purchases as used private party. Actually more comfortable with PP vs dealer because I can gauge the owner as well, which says a lot about how the item was used or cared for vs at a dealer where the only thing you know is a salesman wants to sell it for more than it is worth and canโ€™t answer any meaningful questions.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
^^one word....retired.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

Hemi_Joel
Explorer
Explorer
TX, I probably would have the same way as you, but my work schedule at the time did not permit the time to drive out and pick it up simultaneously with the inspection/purchase. Thus I had to fly out first.
2018 Eagle Cap 1163 triple slide, 400W solar, MPPT, on a 93 Dodge D350 Cummins, DTT 89 torque converter, big turbo, 3 extra main leafs, Rancho 9000s rear, Monroe gas magnums front, upper overloads removed, home made stableloads, bags.