Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Handheld electronic gas leak detector

pld33270
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone on the forum has used the Techamor Y201 gas leak detector? If so, what was your experience with it?
If not, what units have you tried and recommend?
Thanks!
Camp with my lovely wife, Rat Terriers and Jack Chi
2022 Rockwood Minilite 2205S
2015 GMC Canyon, crew cab, long bed
2 Honda EU 2000i
Andersen WDH
10 REPLIES 10

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
I use this style;
https://www.amazon.com/Combustible-Detector-Adjustable-Explosive-Batteries/dp/B01JOV4LSM/ref=sr_1_14...

Works GREAT! Sensitivity can be constantly adjusted in order to home in on the leak. As I get closer, I turn down the sensitivity. It also alerts on hydrogen gas from my wet cell batteries.

I think it's well worth the $50. Not always easy to soap a leak, but is easy to sniff one.

To test it, I breathe on it. The methane from my gut will cause it to click. Of course, if I gotta fart, that'll work too! Ha! For fun, set it up, place under the sheets on DW's side of the bed and wait for it to go off. Busted! I've played around with mine so much, my dogs run when they see me with it out.

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
If you canโ€™t locate it with detergent spray, try a lighter.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

trailerbikecamp
Explorer
Explorer
For gas detection at work we use the Ventis Pro from Industrial Scientific. It measures levels of four different gases. It measures flammable gases (LEL), Carbon Monoxide, Oxygen and H2S. The H2S and LEL sensors are interchangeable depending on your exact needs. The detectors have optional wands to pinpoint your detection.

Our workers depend on these when going into tanks that have seen various processes in large industrial plants.
Dan

road-runner
Explorer III
Explorer III
I used this one a couple of years ago to locate a very small leak in the propane range in the house: https://www.tequipment.net/GeneralNGD7201.html

It worked ok, but it's a really slow process because the detector has a long response time. We were sometime picking up a very faint gas smell for a couple of years that I was never able to locate without the detector because the leak was so slow. My outside tank developed a leak at the gauge last year. That one was easy to find with soapy water but very difficult to seal. It took me a few tries and in the end multiple layers of dope and tape on the threads.
2009 Fleetwood Icon

pld33270
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the feedback. I have done the leak check on my home LP gas lines in which I installed a few years back on a fairly regular basis (1-3 years). They test fine with soapy water and I do not smell gas. I am now questioning the tank and pressure regulator outside. Did the soapy water sparingly on the regulator, and did not find a leak. I am not smelling gas at the tank on a regular basis. Just wondered if the homeowner electronics were worth the trouble. Have not read any convincing post here yet. Happy Camping!
Camp with my lovely wife, Rat Terriers and Jack Chi
2022 Rockwood Minilite 2205S
2015 GMC Canyon, crew cab, long bed
2 Honda EU 2000i
Andersen WDH

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
For fast sweeps electronic does fine. If a sweep shows a leak soap suds are the way to go.

Gas lines hidden above floor pans would show indication of leakage.

A good meter has good resolution and can show minute variances of intensity.

pauldub
Explorer
Explorer
I have an electronic gas leak detector. Basically it's good for finding the area the leak is in but you still need soapy liquid to find the actual location of the leak.

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
When I was running my AC service business used a Robinare brand & it was way more $ than this one. Soap bubbles will find most gas leaks.
If you just have to have pro stuff, go to any HVAC supply and get a bottle of " Big Blue " leak detection fluid.. This stuff reacts to small leaks & will create large bubbles even with very little gas excapeing.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Review taken from eBay. The only review

directions for use are totally confusing. I'm not sure if it will detect a leak or not.

It's double digit grade IQ that influences remarks like this (the sole review)...

The tester is not expensive. Purchase it and take it to a propane distributor who has bulk trucks out on service routes. These distributors always have on site mechanics and they are usually more than gifted with detectors and instruments.

A new type of detector will interest them. Enough to help fathom Chinglish and overcome obstacles.

They also have 500 dollar portable professional detectors that can qualify and grade modes and intensities of detection and response of your instrument.

Hope this helps.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've used instruments but they were professional grade flammable gas detectors and cost somewhere in the thousands of bucks.

Detector

I can't say I'm impressed with the above and soapy water is probably all you need. Just claiming to be a 'methane' detector is suspect. These instruments detect generic flammable gas and you don't even have methane in your RV, it's propane.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper