cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Smarty Jr.

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Since there was another thread regarding tuners it inspired me to write about mine. I have a Smarty Jr. and have installed the program #2, the tow/haul program. This program is supposed to add approx. 75 HP. I don't know if I was expecting too much but I honestly can't feel any of that in the seat of my pants either loaded or unloaded. Since HP ratings are always listed at unrealistic RPM's, I don't know if this is the reason I'm not feeling it or not. Do others of you notice seat of the pants differences?
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk
17 REPLIES 17

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
I went out and did some pedal to the floor tests and it was a lot more responsive.

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
Weโ€™re running a jr. on our 07 - 6.7.....and the performance change is very noticeable. How many horses, no idea....but pretty substantial. When you consider a truck that weighs-in at 7 or 8 thousand pounds, an 75 additional hp, isnโ€™t going to โ€œset your hair on fireโ€!
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

soje
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
Same setting I use and I can easily feel it. Are all the setting at their default values? If the POD is adjusted down it will directly effect power output.
Also, if you don't have a boost elbow, it would be helpful.

BTW, regardless of what MADs says, you need a pyro. You absolutley CAN get the EGT's too high if your working the truck hard, like pulling a trailer up a steep mountain pass.
I speak from experience.

I ABSOLUTELY AGREE WITH SCOT.
If I did not monitor my egt`s while towing my 14k 5`er, I would have lost my 5.9 MANY years ago.
If you are concerned about high EGT`s try water/ meth injection.
That said you still need boost and egt gauges with the SMARTY on SW2 or 3 when towing.
Scot is spot-on!

Mark_Heisler
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just asking a question.
Is your smarty updated
Have you talked to Brian or Adam at Madd (smarty) 1-855-456-7627
All I know from stock to SW2 there a big change of power and torque
2003 dodge 2wheel drive diesel 375hp 750torque
2007 citation fifth wheel model 29bhs
to see pictures of my truck and fifth-wheel click on view profile

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
Same setting I use and I can easily feel it. Are all the setting at their default values? If the POD is adjusted down it will directly effect power output.

BTW, regardless of what MADs says, you need a pyro. You absolutley CAN get the EGT's too high if your working the truck hard, like pulling a trailer up a steep mountain pass.
I speak from experience.

All settings are default. I no clue what POD or boost elbow is.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad

I speak from experience.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Everytime I do an upgrade to my oil burner I watch the fuel gauge. DSo far I've been getting better and better mileage. Heck with the power, Diesel is expensive.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
transamz9 wrote:
My Bully Dog is run on extreme 100% of the time which is supposed to be 140 at the wheels in my 2005 Cummins. I had the retune feature set too low when I first installed and towing on hard pulls on the interstate it would easily get to that temperature and retune back to stock. The truck literally felt like it fell on its face. Once it cooled off it goes back to the last tune. When it did it would literally rattle the dash it came back in so hard. I raised my retune to 230* and now drive by temp under hard pulls meaning I start easing up on it around 215* to keep it from detuning.

MADS claims that the Smarty doesn't push stock trucks into dangerous temp or boost ranges so I didn't buy the gauges when I got the tuner. I was a little hesitant to run at the 100% performance program for that reason. I might try it in a non-hauling situation to see if I can feel any increase in quickness. Realizing that I'm moving 8,000 lbs is also something I'm trying to factor in. That's why I was asking about others experiences.

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
mich800 wrote:
I think this is the most telling part of the OP. " Since HP ratings are always listed at unrealistic RPM's"

It is not a linear 75 HP at all RPM levels. So unless you actually drive it in a manner to use the HP you may as well leave it stock. It is unrealistic if you think you will feel some hit at low throttle levels.

My Bully Dog has a definite hit at low throttle levels. It's very noticeable when getting up short ramps to the interstates. The difference is half throttle as apposed to full throttle to achieve the same results when merging on. Especially with TH mode on where it will lock the TC in drive as apposed to OD. Like I said earlier, I only run in extreme. I've never run it in tow setting which is only 80 hp.
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
I think this is the most telling part of the OP. " Since HP ratings are always listed at unrealistic RPM's"

It is not a linear 75 HP at all RPM levels. So unless you actually drive it in a manner to use the HP you may as well leave it stock. It is unrealistic if you think you will feel some hit at low throttle levels.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
If you can't tell the difference, it didn't load a 70hp tune.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
My Bully Dog is run on extreme 100% of the time which is supposed to be 140 at the wheels in my 2005 Cummins. I had the retune feature set too low when I first installed and towing on hard pulls on the interstate it would easily get to that temperature and retune back to stock. The truck literally felt like it fell on its face. Once it cooled off it goes back to the last tune. When it did it would literally rattle the dash it came back in so hard. I raised my retune to 230* and now drive by temp under hard pulls meaning I start easing up on it around 215* to keep it from detuning.
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
According to MADS
Setting #1: 40hp/80 torque
2: 70hp/140 torque
3: 100hp/200 torque

Basically twice the HP Increase

SO your 5.9L 325HP/610 torque CTD increase on #2 should have been noticeable
395HP/750 torque -----especially the torque increase
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

ib516
Explorer
Explorer
Googling "smarty jr dyno" reveals plenty of people who have tested the tuner on a dyno compared to stock.
Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV