cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pink stuff froze

egh33
Explorer
Explorer
This was a real surprise. Yesterday, winterized the Motor Home. I forgot and left the Pink stuff sitting on the back porch over night. It got down to 21 last night. There was a little over a fourth still in the jug. It was not froze solid, but was pretty thick slush in the jug this morning. I sure didn't know it could freeze. I used it to pour in all the P-traps in the coach. Now I'm wondering what happens if it gets colder.
41 REPLIES 41

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
paddykernahan wrote:
Bought two types last winter.
Glycol and Glycol/alcohol mix.
The glycol/alcohol mix was cheaper.
Both unused portions slushed up at the same temperature.

Either should work, how about the taste test??:p

Jerry

paddykernahan
Explorer
Explorer
Bought two types last winter.
Glycol and Glycol/alcohol mix.
The glycol/alcohol mix was cheaper.
Both unused portions slushed up at the same temperature.

PierreBois
Explorer
Explorer
weasel4 wrote:
It's working fine.

X2
2017 319RLS OR 5th wheel
2017 Ram 1500

We travel initially to lose ourselves; and we travel, next to find ourselves. And we travel, in essence, to become young fools again- to slow time down and get taken in, and fall in love once more."
โ€” Pico Iyer

weasel4
Explorer
Explorer
It's working fine.

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
minnow wrote:
Ralph Cramden wrote:

The RV forum. Complicating the uncomplicated and promoting fear mongering since 1823...

Now that's funny (and very true).

X2

minnow
Explorer
Explorer
Ralph Cramden wrote:

The RV forum. Complicating the uncomplicated and promoting fear mongering since 1823...

Now that's funny (and very true).

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
Because of the altitude of the Antarctic ice cap, it would stand to reason it wouldn't melt nearly as quickly as the surrounding ice in the surrounding sea and the Arctic ice. The ice higher in the elevation sublimes, doesn't melt.
(Sublime means to turn from solid to gas without transitioning to water. Ice regularly sublimes, evaporates, without melting and running off.)

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
Ski Pro 3 wrote:
Water expands when it freezes. Ice bergs are frozen water, displacing water. When it melts, it occupies the same volume it displaced because melted, it takes up less volume than when it was frozen and sticking up out of the water. This is why the melting of polar ice caps causing ocean levels to rise is just BS.

well, no it is NOT BS, since antartic ice cap is not sitting in water but on a continent. Now add that melted ice to the ocean and yes, water level would rise. BTW the ice volume on the antartic continent is huge. ice height is as much as 10,000ft average ice height is 2.5km or over 5,000ft if it all melted ocean level would rise about 40ft.

Artic ice is floating in the ocean and melting doesn't change sea hight. not the issue the antartic ice poses.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
ktmrfs wrote:
big urban myth!!!! ( and yes, many science teachers passed on this misinformation to classes!!)

water is NOT the only material that expands when it freezes. there are mutiple elements that expand when the solidify, let alone other compounds. Yes, most shrink, but not ALL.

the elements silicon, gallium, germanium, antimony, bismuth, plutonium expand as a solid vs liquid.

Bobbo wrote:
OK, don't flush out your water lines with silicon, bismuth, gallium or antimony. There, he is covered. :B

OK, add germanium and plutonium to that list. Don't flush out your water lines with germanium or plutonium either. :S
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Ski Pro 3 wrote:
Water expands when it freezes. Ice bergs are frozen water, displacing water. When it melts, it occupies the same volume it displaced because melted, it takes up less volume than when it was frozen and sticking up out of the water. This is why the melting of polar ice caps causing ocean levels to rise is just BS.

You do understand that (much of) the antarctic ice cap isn't floating on the ocean, correct?

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer

egh33
Explorer
Explorer
OK, this morning I checked the Pink stuff I left sitting on the porch last night. There was ice solid in spots where there must have been some condensation formed by it sitting there before it got real cold. the pink stuff was so thick it would hardly pour out of the jug.
It said on the jug it was protection to -50.
Now I'm thinking after you blow out your lines in the MH I'm sure there has to be some water left some where in the lines.
Now if you noticed in my first post I did not use it in the lines, I just used it in the P-traps. So I guess I will keep doing the same thing I've been doing for about 15 years. Just blow out the lines drain every thing that I can , put the pink stuff in the traps.
Thanks for all the in put. I have found you are never to old to learn.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:

Far as I know (Science major) WATER is unique of all substances in the world in that when it turns from Liquid to Soild IT EXPANDS.. This is why ICe folats.

All other substances the transformation it Shrinks.. .

big urban myth!!!! ( and yes, many science teachers passed on this misinformation to classes!!)

water is NOT the only material that expands when it freezes. there are mutiple elements that expand when the solidify, let alone other compounds. Yes, most shrink, but not ALL.

the elements silicon, gallium, germanium, antimony, bismuth, plutonium expand as a solid vs liquid.

In fact the old typeset printing process relied on a alloy that expanded when solidifying to make the type have better image quality. Type metal as used by printers is an alloy is antimony, lead and tin has the characteristic of expanding on freezing thus producing sharper type.

BTW anyone remember the sci fi movie in which the earth warmed up, artic ice pack broke up and sank, crashing into the submarine below the surface...... first big laugh in the movie.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
mike-s wrote:
troubledwaters wrote:
I think everyone has gotten the point. We can skip the chemistry lessons.
They obviously go right over your head, anyway.

That's funny!
Do you remember the thread from way back when, when the question was asked, something like, How much pressure is there at the bottom of your tire, the part that actually touches the ground? Oh my ... the calculations that folks came up with were unbelievable! I got lost after with the first response to the question.

I have a son like that. If you ask a simple question for example, What would you like on your hotdog? He'll go off on a tangent and the conversation will end up with him arguing calculations about the gravitational force on Jupiter! I sit there and smile and never disagree. If I did, it would just add another hour to his commentary and by then, the hotdog would be cold.