cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DEF clean up

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
I was wanting to have a spare gallon of DEF in the pickup . I put the DEF in to a gallon mile jug. The DEF seeped through the plastic! My truck bed has a bed rug in it. The rug started growing some weird crystals. I tried some Blue Coral rug cleaner and thought I had it cleaned up. No such thing.

What cleans this stuff up???

TIA
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.
19 REPLIES 19

moresmoke
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
ShinerBock wrote:
Hot dihydrogen monoxide will do.

Yup as we all know: Dilution is the solution to pollution. Water will do the job. I find it unlikely that urea penetrated an undamaged plastic jug, either it had a pinhole or the top wasn't on tight.

Back in my truck driving days, I would carry a couple milk jugs of water with me. Fill them up at home on the weekend.

The average life of a jug was about 2 months. They would crack on the botton and start leaking.

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
There is no earthly reason to carry a spare bottle of DEF around. You can buy it whenever you need it at any fuel station that carries diesel fuel, as well at any WallyWorld, auto parts store, farm supply place, and thousands of other places anywhere you go. Given that all the vehicles I know about give you a “need DEF” warning a thousand miles before you actually are at any risk of running out, you are never at risk of running out.

As for cleanup after a spill, plain water is all you need. It is very soluble in water, less so in any sort of grease cutter or cleaning agent. Pull the rug out, hang it on a clothesline, and hose it down. Ditto the truck bed. Problem solved.

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
I will stick a factory new jug of DEF in the truck (bed) if I'm going on a long towing trip. The truck sucks down a lot of DEF when it's towing and some of the areas we go through are pretty desolate and you can't exactly pull off and get DEF anywhere. Or fuel for that matter. But other than that scenario, I just fill it up at a pump when it starts getting low. The nice thing about Rams is you get an actual DEF gauge so you have an idea of how much you've got at any point. It isn't very linear but it's still better than waiting for an idiot light to come on.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
I would not carry extra DEF either.

For one, the truck can go thousands of miles on a full tank of DEF, and you can purchase DEF at just about any Walmart or convenience store. So the chances of running out in an area where you cannot get more within 50 miles is slim to none unless there is gross negligence on your part. I would worry more about running out of fuel than DEF.

Secondly, if you live in area where the temps get above 95F often(like many southern states) then the shelf life reduces to about 6 months.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

Farmerkev
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
Plenty of lukewarm water on the DEF stain. Def is deionized water and urea. Nicely put, urea is processed fecal matter from livestock. In the case of DEF, the urea is chemically produced. I spray urea at 46% base dilluted with water on my crops as a foilar innoculant. Makes them grow so you can eat them....lol

Never keep DEF in anything but it's original container and keep the lid tight. Air can degrade it too,

No, DEF isn't made from fecal material.
Urea has been made for fertilizer since the 1800's.
The urea used in DEF is a pure form since the SCR can't handle impurities.

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
PersonallyI wouldn't carry any extra at all. Cannot speak for GM & Ram, but Ford's capacity is 5-7 gallons from the factory. That equates to a min of 1500-2500 miles of driving. Depending on where you are/at, can either fill up at truck stops in the semi lanes, buy it in jugs at truck stops, Wal-mart or wherever . As for what to do w/ spillage, just rinse off w/ water----at least that's what I'd do.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

Mark_Heisler
Explorer II
Explorer II
SidecarFlip wrote:
Plenty of lukewarm water on the DEF stain. Def is deionized water and urea. Nicely put, urea is processed fecal matter from livestock. In the case of DEF, the urea is chemically produced. I spray urea at 46% base dilluted with water on my crops as a foilar innoculant. Makes them grow so you can eat them....lol

Never keep DEF in anything but it's original container and keep the lid tight. Air can degrade it too,

X2

If you want to carry extra def buy a new jerry can and put it in it and mark it.
2003 dodge 2wheel drive diesel 375hp 750torque
2007 citation fifth wheel model 29bhs
to see pictures of my truck and fifth-wheel click on view profile

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure how best to clean it, but I would avoid carrying an extra jug in the truck to begin with, even the factory original container could get damaged and punctured accidentally and make a big mass.

We do a lot of driving on the trucks at my job...
20017 Ford with 102,000 miles
2017 Ram with 140,000 miles
2017 Ram with 55,000 miles
None of them carry extra DEF, just top off when the gauge says less than half full
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollin’ on 33’s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
I buy Def in a 200 litre barrel that I get refilled. Often when I refill the barrel I end up with DEF spilled in the bed of my truck or down the side of the endgate. I've never been concerned about it..... I spray the white stain off the next time I go to the car wash. I've presently got 6 vehicles that take DEF and I've never cleaned up after a spill nor have I seen DEF do any damage to a painted surface.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Beaker
Explorer
Explorer

Had to look that one up.!!
2008 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
2010 Cruiser 26RK

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
UV kills that stuff so you cant use a milk jug.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer

2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
ShinerBock wrote:

Yup as we all know: Dilution is the solution to pollution. Water will do the job. I find it unlikely that urea penetrated an undamaged plastic jug, either it had a pinhole or the top wasn't on tight.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
ShinerBock wrote:

Do you need a license for that stuff? :B
It should be licensed. Each year around 4000 people die in the US from accidental inhalation of dihydrogen monoxide. It is a travesty such a dangerous chemical is easily available even to children. I have even heard of some cities storing excess amounts in uncovered and unguarded open lagoons.