cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Winterizing Question: Is My HWT Check Valve Leaking?

TKW
Explorer
Explorer

This pic is the HWT bypass set-up of my present TT. It only has one bypass valve & a check valve at the hot water outlet. Since last season, I started to blow the system clear of water before pumping anti-freeze in. After draining the HWT (with some residual water remains), compressor set at 40 psi and HWT inlet on bypass, I can hear water sloshing inside the tank. Theoretically, there shouldn't be air blowing in the tank. Do I have a leaky check valve?
2002 Chevy 1500HD Crew Cab, 6.0l
2013 Timber Ridge 240RBS
Prodigy Brake Controller
6 REPLIES 6

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
I put a new bypass on the water heater and it failed. Same setup with valve on cold and only check valve on hot. Wasted $18 and 2 gallons of antifreeze. Going to just buy more antifreeze and let it rip through city water inlet and pressurize the hot out to the shower. Via sump pump in a tub pressure

I have a dedicated sump pump for winterizing campers and boat motors.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

travisc
Explorer
Explorer
I’ve had both the fresh water city check valve fail and the hoywater check valve fail- Took me two gallons to figure out I was filling up the hot water holding tank after I shut the by-pass off. The city water was kind of funny- I’d try to pressure up the system with the water pump and it would shoot out the side of the rv. Same trip the black water valve wouldn’t close.........
Winnebago Access 24V

TKW
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies! I will go over the process again this weekend and check out the HWT drain. I actually did something stupid yesterday while pumping the pink stuff through. I forgot to shut off the outside shower faucet after blowing compress air through and went ahead pumping pink stuff. Before I knew what hit me, 2 jugs of them gone to the ground while I was inside the TT. I managed to use a spare jug to finish off all the other fixtures but it sure feels like there's some unfinished business.
2002 Chevy 1500HD Crew Cab, 6.0l
2013 Timber Ridge 240RBS
Prodigy Brake Controller

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Remove drain plug and see if you get water/air mixture blowing out
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
or your blowing way to much pressure and opening it up.

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would say yes you have a defective check valve.