cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trading in TT, what to take?

Iraqvet05
Explorer
Explorer
We are going to trade in our 26BH for a new 2018 Jayco 28BHBE. I have never dealt with a TT trade so it surprised me when the dealer told me I didn't need to bring the old unit in for inspection. The salesman had us fill out a form to describe the general condition of the TT then they gave us a value based on my description. Of course the offer was a bit low but we accepted it. We had it listed for over a month locally and had very few people interested so we opted to trade it in.

Anyway, the salesman (same guy we bought the 26BH from almost 6 years ago) told me I should take out any accessories I have added to the old TT before I bring it in that I wanted to keep. Do you do that or just assume those items should stay with the camper? I'd love to pull the hard-wired Progressive EMS out of my TT but it's difficult to get to. The new owner will be in for a surprise when they find the EMS display under the kitchen cabinet.
2017 Ford F-250 6.2 gas
2018 Jayco 28BHBE

US Army veteran
22 REPLIES 22

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
SoundGuy wrote:
2edgesword wrote:
The dealer also doesnโ€™t want to assume the liability for accessories you have installed not knowing if they were installed correctly.

A dealer also doesn't want the grief (and waste of time) dealing with someone who has purchased a used trailer, has no warranty, yet still insists on returning to the dealership for "help" when something the previous owner left behind doesn't work as the new owner thinks it should, an inverter, television antenna booster, battery, weight distribution system being examples.

That is why the phrase "as is" goes on the bill of sale. It is up to the buyer to do a proper survey before & on condition of sale.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Iraqvet05
Explorer
Explorer
When you bring in the trade they're going to look it over. If they find a surprise such as delam or some other large issue you can bet dollars to donuts they'll be wanting to adjust the trade in value.

Funny thing is they put the trade-in price in the sales sheet when we signed the agreement to purchase the new camper the other day. I guess I have contractually agreed on the sales price of the new camper and they contractually agreed on the trade-in price without even seeing the trailer.

In retrospect, I wished we would have put this up for sale long before winter hit here in the Midwest. I had the TT listed for over a month on Facebook marketplace and Craigslist with very little interest. I had forgotten about my Craigslist ad until someone contacted me on it a few days after I had agreed to trade it in. I've learned from this experience but I'm going to pay for it.
2017 Ford F-250 6.2 gas
2018 Jayco 28BHBE

US Army veteran

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Ralph Cramden wrote:
When you bring in the trade they're going to look it over. If they find a surprise such as delam or some other large issue you can bet dollars to donuts they'll be wanting to adjust the trade in value.

Traded in our 18 month old TrailCruiser which was clearly wearing the tires unevenly because of an axle issue and smelled musty, I assume because mold was growing inside the front wall. The first time the dealer saw is when I brought it in to pick up the new unit we were buying. Dealer didn't care at all about these issues and they made no difference to my trade in value. Several years later we traded in a K-Z Spree which was clearly de-laminating along the curbside sidewall, again the dealer didn't care at all and it had no impact on our trade in value.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
We just traded our 2017 in yesterday. Originally had a cash price but decided to trade. Dealer made what I thought was a fair offer. When we pulled up he had us park next to power / water so they could check it out while we did the pdi on the new unit. They never brought the old unit up during the transaction so I guess they were happy, but it was a nice TT. We took off bug screens etc., left a rear camera that was not expensive.

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Walaby wrote:
They gave you basically auction price for your trade, so they don't need to see it beforehand. Then asking you to document the condition is just for their records, highly doubt they took anything into consideration. May not have even read it.

Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

CincyGus
Explorer II
Explorer II
I left a lot of stuff that wasn't worth the headache of removing without possibly damaging the camper. Paper towel holder, hand towel holder and toilet paper holder in the bathroom, a shoe holder (that I had mounted behind the toilet to hold small items like shampoo, soap, bug spray, etc), bed spread, some magnetic cell phone holders that I had mounted by the bed, new curtains that I had replaced the crappy stuff that came with the camper, etc. New TV and remote that I had replaced the Jenson 12v tv with. It all stayed.

I took the stuff I felt like I could use in the new camper and was easy to remove without hurting the value of the camper.
2015 GMC 2500 Denali Crewcab 4x4
2019 Forest River Wolfpack 23pack15

Hope your travels are safe and the friendships made camping are lasting.

Iraqvet05
Explorer
Explorer
DownTheAvenue wrote:
Iraqvet05 wrote:
Anyway, the salesman (same guy we bought the 26BH from almost 6 years ago) told me I should take out any accessories I have added to the old TT before I bring it in that I wanted to keep.

I am not sure why you posted this question when the salesman already gave you the answer!

I just didn't know how far some people go to remove some of their stuff for a trade-in. Have you ever seen the movie with Richard Prior where he buys a house and the seller takes half the house with him? Maybe I'll be that guy ๐Ÿ™‚
2017 Ford F-250 6.2 gas
2018 Jayco 28BHBE

US Army veteran

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
Iraqvet05 wrote:
Anyway, the salesman (same guy we bought the 26BH from almost 6 years ago) told me I should take out any accessories I have added to the old TT before I bring it in that I wanted to keep.

I am not sure why you posted this question when the salesman already gave you the answer!

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
They gave you basically auction price for your trade, so they don't need to see it beforehand. Then asking you to document the condition is just for their records, highly doubt they took anything into consideration. May not have even read it.

As far as accessories, as others have said, take what you want or can sell, leave or throw-away the rest. Unless it's nearly impossible to remove the EMS, I'd definitely consider doing that and install it on the new unit (assuming both are same amperage). That is one thing I'd consider worth the hassle and their offer sure didn't take it into consideration.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
We left everything in ours for our last trade in. The new one had everything we needed and wanted, plus more. If I would have kept all the add on stuff I put in, I would have just had put store more stuff somewhere at home. So we just let it go with the camper.

I even threw in the original awning, even though it was shreaded on one side. I tossed in the second television and mount on the wall. We don't need another television. I left all the towel bars, tea cup / coffee cup hooks, the paper towel holder, spare tire, spare tire holder, even the drill bit extensions used for manually extracting the slides.

After the fact, I wish I would have tossed more stuff in the camper. I've found more items I removed, changed, altered in that camper and now have a pile of hardware and used parts I'll never use for anything, ever.

Did any of this add any extra value for the trade-in ... No. Absolutely none! But it was a good way for me to get rid of unwanted and unneeded RV stuff I knew I'd never, ever use again.

And by the way, our dealer did the same with us. We gave them all the information over the phone about the condition of the RV and they gave us an offer for the trade in. We had the option to accept it or decline it. I think the offer was low enough, that even if the trailer was completely wrecked, they'd still make money off of it at resale. That's how they do it you know. They don't have to see it. They are already offering a low enough price on trade in, they are not loosing anything.

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
Anything you leave is one less thing the dealer can sell new. When I traded a travel trailer years ago they didn't even want the new hitch it had on it. I took it and sold id it on Craigs.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
Yep - like others have said, take what makes sense for you. We traded ours, sight-unseen, and did the same thing. There weren't a ton of add-ons or accessories, but we took the TV's, grill, etc... and left it as bare-bones as we could. The dealer literally never even set foot in the trailer - it really highlighted how much wiggle room there is in the pricing that they could offer me what I felt was a relatively fair trade-in price for a rig they'd never even opened.

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
The dealer gave you a low trade-in. Don't leave anything extra in the TT so he can up the price when he sells it. TAke your EMS.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
2edgesword wrote:
The dealer also doesnโ€™t want to assume the liability for accessories you have installed not knowing if they were installed correctly.

A dealer also doesn't want the grief (and waste of time) dealing with someone who has purchased a used trailer, has no warranty, yet still insists on returning to the dealership for "help" when something the previous owner left behind doesn't work as the new owner thinks it should, an inverter, television antenna booster, battery, weight distribution system being examples.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380