cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Yet another CO detector low voltage question

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer
My CO detector goes off when the coach batteries reach 11.8V. Most specs I've found indicate detectors run all the way down to 7-8 volts. Is mine at the end of life?
There is something special about camping in an RV.
12 REPLIES 12

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
And the voltage at the battery bank was? (and perhaps at the other place you were measuring?)
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer
The voltage at the detector (with the coach plugged into shore power) is 13.1 volts.

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Measure the voltage at the detector.

Will do that tonight.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
They should be sold as audible low voltage alarms...normal operation.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Measure the voltage at the detector.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Are you measuring at the battery bank or at the terminals for the detector? They use thin wire to save a dime, so there may be voltage drop.

The 11.8 volts is measured at the cigarette lighter "port" on a USB charger with a voltage display. This is in a panel near the cable/satellite connection.

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
DarkSkySeeker wrote:
My CO detector goes off when the coach batteries reach 11.8V. Most specs I've found indicate detectors run all the way down to 7-8 volts. Is mine at the end of life?

Maybe the spec simply means it will still sound down to 7-8 volts, not that it will sit there quietly and function down to there. You want significant overlap between false sounding and completely dead or a rapidly discharging battery would go from detecting (but quiet) to completely quiet without warning.

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer
rwynkoop wrote:

My detector is new. I replaced it once thinking it was defective due to the beeping.

After replacing it, does it still beep unexpectedly?

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
My wired detector woke me up for the very last time a few yrs ago,...if ya know what I mean.
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

rwynkoop
Explorer
Explorer
I see the same thing with my wired co detector. It starts to beep around less then 12v, 11.8v sounds about right, but the furnace was also running hard on a separate circuit. 11.8 is measured by my solar controller, near the battery.

My detector is new. I replaced it once thinking it was defective due to the beeping.

Robert Wynkoop
2003 Chevy 1500 HD Crew 4x4, 6.0L gas.
2007 Jayco 29BHS TT.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Are you measuring at the battery bank or at the terminals for the detector? They use thin wire to save a dime, so there may be voltage drop.
Regards, Don

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
It is odd, so needs checking for sure. First thing would be to use your multimeter to check the voltage right at the detector connection in comparison with actual battery voltage at the house battery.

Never know, it might have a loose connection somewhere giving high voltage drop. Some LP alarms have a little glass fuse there too. You can get big voltage drops across a glass fuse sometimes, where they snap in at each end.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.