cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Adjusting Electric Trailer Brakes???

bowler1
Explorer
Explorer
Quick question on adjusting trailer brakes on my 5th wheel with Lippert manual adjust brakes.

I turned the star nut on my brakes until the wheel would no longer turn freely. I then backed off 5 clicks on the star nut. The wheel turns but with a slight drag.

Is 5 clicks enough to back off? I don't want to burn out my brakes.

Part of the reason that I ask is because it took 15-20 clicks of tightening the brakes before the wheel would no longer turn freely. That seems like a lot.

thanks for your help

Matt
8 REPLIES 8

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
azdryheat wrote:
I back off the star until there is no rubbing sound.

Then you have ineffective brakes!

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
I back off the star until there is no rubbing sound.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
Even if they were adjusted a bit tight, it doesn't matter because after the first few miles, the amount of brake material dragging will wear off and the correct clearance will be revealed.

This happened to me when I accidentally forgot to release the emergency brake on my towed. (Cummins diesel engine couldn't tell) I discovered when I got home and pulled the drums. No harm. I did clean everything up with a little lacquer thinner, air and a brush, but the shoe material looked just as thick as it always had to my eye.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
The procedure is on page 13, the number of clicks can vary. Adjustment

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
After adjusting to where the wheel will not turn freely, I back off at least 3 clicks, but not more than 5. With a light spin of the wheel, after adjustment, the wheel should drag some, and stop after only 1-1.5 turns.

Yes, tightening 15-20 clicks is normal, especially with a new trailer, and adjusting for the first time.

Jerry

bowler1
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the feedback. Yes, the wheel is off the ground while I am doing this.

Matt

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Are you doing this with the whwel off the ground? But to answer the question, 5 to 6 clicks is the amount I go by. On hydraulic drum brakes the rule of thumb was always 10-12 clicks.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II