cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Absorbsion Charging Wet Batteries

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
As batteries charge, amperage will sag and voltage climbs. There is a point where solar panels can effectively replace a running generator.

Use 14.8 voltage to start out with on the generator. If you have 40 amperes max DELIVERED panel power you can shut the generator off once amperage sags to 40 amps.
11 REPLIES 11

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Gordon, solar trackers are cool but adding a panel or two is cheaper and much less prone to failure. So, no wager!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
To gain any sense of perspective between charge regimen times the voltage must remain constant, 14.8 volts from the moment you flip the switch on to the moment you flip the switch off.

Skewing the results with variable voltages and non saturation makes time savings analysis worthless -- flipping a coin is just as inaccurate.

No variable voltages please and no cheating on the 14.8 volts.

Then and -only- then can you realize an accurate answer in perspective.

This is all about generator run time ๐Ÿ™‚

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
Silicon carbide cells for NASA and DARPA are 167% as efficient as commercial cells.
Cost effective for outer space only.
For earthlings lower cost to expand your footprint.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Remember the stories about Rolls Royce, Jaguar, and Aston Martin? I don't know if they were true or not.

But it was a snotty reply

"If you have to inquire the cost of ownership then may I suggest another marque"

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
And the price?

MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
Silicon carbide cells for NASA and DARPA are 167% as efficient as commercial cells.

More than a golden hammer or toilet seat, typical DOD pricing.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
And the price?

MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
I wager he's working on a automatic solar tracker for rooftop RV install.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
If I get 40 amps from solar, I am not starting a generator.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
โ€œin hopes that will get the batteries "full" before dark.โ€

What hopes? Iโ€™m full by noon usually...3 p.m. tops...with 300 watts and no pointing.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mex 40 amps of solar means you have about 40/8.2 x 130 = 634w array pointed directly at a high sun.

You can't get constant amps with solar unless you can keep the array pointed and tilted just right as the sun goes by while also going up and down.

However, it remains valid that you can follow your shot of generator charging with solar for the rest of the day in hopes that will get the batteries "full" before dark.

You can extend the gen time high amps when you know the daylight time after that will be short.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.