CLOSED
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Personally I believe the majority has high ethics, there are a few bad apples that do tarnish thier image.

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
When the officer pulls me over and asks what that large bulge in my pocket is...I just tell him thatโ€™s my legally carried concealed carry firearm. Thatโ€™s usually a good conversation starter.
Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Not anything new, watched Mysteries at the Museum and they profiled a case where a person was changing the beneficiaries on oil rich Osage Indian life insurance policies to himself. He would then have them killed a collect the money. He paid off the police and they ignored what was going on. All told he had 24 people killed. It took the Osage to write J Edgar Hoover who put a stop to this and arrested the man for murder.

packnrat
Explorer
Explorer
camperdave wrote:
I've been living on cash for a few years. It's cool to me, I feel more in touch with what I am spending. That said, I do get nervous carrying large amounts at times, but I've never been worried about the cops taking it. I'm not a part of a targeted group, so it's not something I feel the need to worry about. Life is not fair, sometimes that works to our advantage.

I'm more worried I'll lose my wallet...

just being the one pulled over, or walking on the sidewalk. you are in the targeted group.
2006 F250 4X4 auto 6.0 short bed
2001 sunnybrook 24 ft
1984 cj7 built up a bit
kg6tgu
never too many toys, just not enought room to keep them
one dog who belives she is the master. rip 12 12 2007
12 loving years and loyal to the end.
just out having fun

packnrat
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
Unfortunately this is becoming more and more common. Police stealing from the public. eventually they will be able to seize you house and money in the bank if they are left to do what they want!

They are going to hit the wrong person and you will see big changes. until then its only lucrative for them to keep it up!

i can not site a "source" but some people have lost there homes bank accounts, savings, etc to this illegal activity by crooked cops.
not very common. but some cops have always found a way to take money from reg folk just out doing there thing. used to be a very fast signal light, or hidden stop sign kinda thing.
sad but even law enforcement can go bad.
why no city or county, including the courts involved should get a penny out of any tickets, or confiscations.
2006 F250 4X4 auto 6.0 short bed
2001 sunnybrook 24 ft
1984 cj7 built up a bit
kg6tgu
never too many toys, just not enought room to keep them
one dog who belives she is the master. rip 12 12 2007
12 loving years and loyal to the end.
just out having fun

caver
Nomad
Nomad
The land for Echo Bluff State Park in Missouri was acquired this way. It was pretty shady. Before that it was an old youth camp called Camp Zoe. The St Louis Riverfront Times had several articles on it.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
I remember on Date Line they had several people in a Auditorium who had money or vehicles seized in Louisiana several years ago. Date Line even set up a car with several cameras that caught a officer lying. The officer said they were speeding, camera verified they were not. Officer said they were weaving out of there lane, camera verified they were not. The departments were using the money to take ski trips to Colorado among other expenditures.

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
RobWNY wrote:
What a crock of **** that guy is spewing. As a retired Law Enforcement Officer I am very familiar with Civil Forfeiture or what we called Asset Forfeiture. Not once did I or anyone I worked with pull over a car for a minor traffic infraction and then seize a wad of cash that the driver or one of the passengers had on them and then say "have a nice day!" and let them drive off. There's a whole lot more to that story. That youtube guy is only telling a very small part of a story to have his audience get riled up and is nothing more than a hater of Law Enforcement. People love to hear stuff like this to justify in their own minds how their own actions are ok even though the rest of society says they're not. It always amazed me that people believe the theory that breaking the Law and getting caught can be justified because a dirty cop was exposed in the news a couple of years ago. Therefore all cops are dirty. Therefore their illegal actions should go unpunished. There are thousands of people that think this exact way and guys like this youtube person rely on them to remain relevant online.

Several cases most notably the out of state, Elderly Lady traveling though La in new Continental. She had a few thousand dollars on her. It and the car was seized. It took about half of her money to get attorney to get the rest back.
Another, in Nashville at airport a Landscaper, had taken a larger sum of money out of the bank and was flying to somewher4, I have forgotten, to purchase plants or supplies. They seized it and he ws out of business before he got it back.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Some of you need to step away from the googler for a while and put yourselves in Internet time out!
This thread is the reason!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

NJRVer
Explorer
Explorer
There was a case not long ago where a couple from NJ were gambling at some track in WV and won a load of money.
They took their cash and were headed home and WV cop stopped them for some bs and searched their car, found their cash and took it.

It took a fight to get it back but a legislator from WV even came to their house in NJ to apologize and got their money back.
Supposedly he is trying to pass legislation in WV now to stop these actions by the police.
Rampant money grab by police depts. They are hooked on this money like it's a drug.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Didn't "60 Minutes" or "20/20" do a feature on this happening on I-10? It's been several years.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Isn't this 'youtube' just a form of hate propaganda?

Some of it. But there are a lot that are real
News. Look up Civil Asset Forfeiture Ohio and other states. And read with disgust at what they are doing to innocent people just traveling. One guy they pulled over was an army or marine (I forget what) that was on vacation with his wife! Not only can they take your money. They can take your car/RVing if they feel like it!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

1995brave
Nomad
Nomad
I always carry cash and its over 50 bucks. I don't like using my credit or debit card. Once a month I go to the bank and pull out some cash to use for the month. Use the credit card for gas and the debit card for food at the base commissary or Sam's Club.