cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it just me?

dee74
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 34 ft. TT and I could easily back that trailer into a parking spot at the mall on black Friday but yesterday and this morning I borrowed a friends 5×8 utility trailer and I could not back that trailer up to save my life. I looked like a total cluster at the loading dock, I almost pinched my truck (multiple times). And the guys waiting were definitely not happy. So is it just me? Any advice so it does not happen again?
32 REPLIES 32

GeeWillakers
Explorer
Explorer
I didn’t have any problems backing up my TT and 5er but found empty boat trailers and utility trailers a nightmare until one thoughtful observer gently suggested it would be easier if I stop using my mirrors and just put my tailgate down so I could see the ¥^€§$*# thing directly. Never had a problem after that!
2007 Triple-E Commander A3202FB W22 8.1 6spd Banks Power
2014 Jeep Wrangler JK toad, a Bug and a Frenchie

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Actually, I have more problems backing up a 5th wheel trailer then I do a bumper hitch trailer.

But, not all of the 5th wheels seem as bad as others. My brother once had a 3 axle livestock 5th wheel and I simply could not back that thing up. When going around a curve backing up it would get stuck in the curve and the only thing I could do to get it to straighten out was to pull ahead and get the truck straight with the trailer again. It didn't help that my older (and thinks he smarter) brother was yelling at me the whole time because he said I'm not supposed to do it that way. He would also freak out if I would look out the window backwards to see exactly what was going on. According to him you are ONLY supposed to back up by looking in your mirrors. I just gave up and let him do it.

Now, there are other 5th wheels that I don't have as much trouble with.

I think that it has something to do with the distance from the hitch to the center pivot point on the trailer and the length of the pickup or something like that.

BigRabbitMan
Explorer
Explorer
Grew up on the farm backing all sorts of things. The longer the tow vehicle and/or the shorter the trailer the harder it is. I once backed my 4x8 trailer from the street into the ally with my 29 ft coach on the first try. BUT it did take many small corrections including short (1-3 ft) pull forwards to keep control of every thing. I am not going to try it again and ruin my record!!

The key as mentioned above is very slow and early small corrections. Be quick to stop and pull forward a foot or so to reduce the angle as needed then back slowly again. Also, either use your mirrors or look over your shoulder but do not try both ways during the same backing operation. If you do, you will turn the steering wheel the wrong way every time. I like backing long things!
BigRabbitMan
Gas to Diesel Conversion project
76 FMC #1046, Gas Pusher became a Diesel Pusher
Discussion thread on this site
"You're never too old to learn something stupid."

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
My FIL was a commercial local trucker for the majority of his life, driving trailers for a local supermarket chain. He had a 24', now a 28' camper. A couple years ago he borrowed my 4x8 trailer to move a lawn tractor. Jackknifed it into his bed, destroyed his truck bed.
It happens to everyone. Short trailers are a bear!
Want something worse...? Try to back up a log splitter trailer!!!
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
Yup - it's the little trailers that give me fits....LOL! I can park our pontoon trailer with inches on either side - but trying to back up a single JetSki trailer is infuriating!
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

WillyB
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a tip from a retired pro driver who has backed up 53' trailers down to 20' pups. When backing up a short trailer take a look at the overall picture, then glue your eyes to the 'near' side (driver's side) as you back up. As soon as you take your eyes away for a second to check the other side you'll go off line. After awhile you'll be able to 'one-shot' it like a pro. You're welcome.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Take that same short trailer and hook it up to a crewcab longbed truck. You will never be able to back it up! Now hook up that same trailer to a small car and you will back it up like your big trailer.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
RobWNY wrote:
Try backing up a lawn tractor with a yard cart attached. More times than not, I'll start backing up and then stop, get out and move the cart into position so I can back up another 5 feet

X2
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
It's you. Short trailers respond much more quickly to steering inputs, and more importantly, the "point of no return", where you won't be able to straighten it out without pulling forward, comes at a much shallower angle.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
I have a small 4x6 trailer.
Sometimes I get so frustrated I back it in by hand if it's empty.
I can thread a needle backing the 30' TT

04fxsts
Explorer
Explorer
I am the same, did OK with a 25 ft TT but have a terrible time with a 4x8 utility trailer. I can see it because I built wooden sides for it so am not blind. Jim.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
The biggest problem that I have backing up my small utility trailer is that I can't see it. I can't see it in the mirrors and I can't see it out the back window. Makes it really hard to back up.

It's so so light that I when I can I just un-hook it and push it back by hand. Even better yet if I have a helper that can assist me in pushing.

rickeoni
Explorer
Explorer
Try backing a cargo trailer behind a TC. After a few trips you get pretty good at backing without being able to see the trailer at all.
2008 F450
2007 Adventurer 85WS
2012 Haulmark "The Garage"
2016 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak 26 RKS

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
I got rid of our 10' trailer and purchased a 24' for this reason, also the smaller trailer disappeared behind my dually.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian