cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Diesel fuel prices - have they been dropping?

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
We'll be picking up our DP in Arizona after Thanksgiving. While it was stored with the tank full, with the price of crude dropping, I was wondering if the pump price has started to drop also? (I know, I know, stupid question.)

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.
37 REPLIES 37

Itching2go
Explorer II
Explorer II
minnow wrote:
Itching2go wrote:
A lot of the price differences between diesel and gas have little to do with the actual cost of production. In many states, diesel is taxed at a much higher rate than gas. The justification often offered up is that most diesel is burned by heavy trucks that cause more wear and tear on the roads, so it is appropriate that they pay more in taxes for road repair. In actuality, I suspect that it is simply a matter of political expediency as a higher tax on diesel would make fewer voters angry. In the last fuel tax go-round in Indiana for example, diesel ended up being taxed at something like $.50/gallon higher than gas.

That may be true in some states but that is not the case here in SC.

Lucky you, Minnow. Explains why diesel is less than $3.00 there and almost $3.50 here in Indiana. I think I'll wait to fill up in your neighborhood next time we're heading down to the Southeast!
2008 Jayco Designer 35RLSA pulled by a 2007 Chevy 3500 D/A SRW

minnow
Explorer
Explorer
Itching2go wrote:
A lot of the price differences between diesel and gas have little to do with the actual cost of production. In many states, diesel is taxed at a much higher rate than gas. The justification often offered up is that most diesel is burned by heavy trucks that cause more wear and tear on the roads, so it is appropriate that they pay more in taxes for road repair. In actuality, I suspect that it is simply a matter of political expediency as a higher tax on diesel would make fewer voters angry. In the last fuel tax go-round in Indiana for example, diesel ended up being taxed at something like $.50/gallon higher than gas.

That may be true in some states but that is not the case here in SC.

Itching2go
Explorer II
Explorer II
2008 Jayco Designer 35RLSA pulled by a 2007 Chevy 3500 D/A SRW

minnow
Explorer
Explorer
Interestingly here in upstate SC, we live very near the border of NC so I see the prices on both sides of the borders. Today, gasoline was $2.02 and diesel was 2.85; an .83 cent spread in SC. Across the border in NC, gas was $2.41 and diesel was $2.93, a 52 cents spread between diesel and gasoline. These prices were pretty consistent at many gas stations I passed on both sides.

Additionally, as gasoline prices continue to fall here SC, the spread between gas and diesel has actually gotten larger. 10 days ago, diesel was .70 cents gallon more than gasoline. Gasoline has fallen several cents per day while diesel falls a few pennies a week.

One wonders why comparing diesel and gasoline price spread are so different between the 2 states. It's has never been this big before.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Another drop in price in Regina, Sk, for gas. 1.089 per liter. Or 3.10 per US gallon.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

JKJavelin
Explorer III
Explorer III
They're all dropping every few days here in the Milwaukee area. I just paid $2.49 for diesel this morning. Gas Buddy shows an 80 cent spread between the highest and lowest stations in the area for diesel.
JK
2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Cummins 6.7
2016 Open Range RF316RLS
Titan Disc Brakes
Trailair pinbox
Morryde AllTrek 4000 w/ wetbolt kit
Demco Autoslide
570 watts of Solar

2017-2022 555 Nights
2023- 106 Nights

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Middle Tn two days ago Pilot 2.27 with card 2.22 87 octane. Diesel was, I think 3.08 but don't quote that.

GHop
Explorer
Explorer
JimK-NY wrote:
Two days ago I paid $4.40 in California. Now in Arizona and the price was $3.19. I don't know about CA but in some parts of the country, you pay a State tax and local communities tack on additional taxes.

In California, we are also charged several taxes for road repair, other Local, State taxes and for Train. This train will be billions of dollars in overran coast. In addition, Diesel fuel is taxed at a higher rate than regular fuel.
G.H.

JerryandSusie
Explorer
Explorer
3.15/gal in central Illinois
2017 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummings Diesel
2017 31' Keystone Cougar 5th wheel
Honda 2000W Gen.
Our Yorkie kids: Scooter & Daisy

73guna
Explorer
Explorer
Drove through Salina Ks. this week and one station was $2.56 for diesel.
2007 Chevy Silverado Crewcab Duramax.
2016 Wildwood 31qbts.

honda1
Explorer
Explorer
diesel 2.79 kansas city.

dapperdan
Explorer
Explorer
Several stations here in SE WI (Milwaukee) have diesel listed for 2.99 and 2.29 for regular gas. It appears as though diesel is "easing up" just a bit here in our little corner of the world.

Dan

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Saw $2.99 today in Winter Park. Regular petrol going down, too. $2.35.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
Two days ago I paid $4.40 in California. Now in Arizona and the price was $3.19. I don't know about CA but in some parts of the country, you pay a State tax and local communities tack on additional taxes.