cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

got winterized yesterday

3_dog_nights
Explorer
Explorer
Tech told me to buy a set of water filter bypass plugs for my refer and undersink water filters. Who has them, and where did you get them?
Bob & Lynn
2 Chihuahua's, Ella, Gracie

was-2013 Open Range 424RLS,06' Chevy 3500, dually, Duramax/Allison

also was - 2015 Winnebago Adventurer 37F, towing 2003 Jeep Wrangler

now - 2021 NoBo 19.5, 2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL (Talk about downsizing!)
8 REPLIES 8

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
rk911 wrote:
dougrainer wrote:

1. Blow out is the BEST way and BEST protection

this statement is akin to โ€˜tastes great v less fillingโ€™, ginger or maryann, ford v chevy and jennifer or bailey. weโ€™ve been using the pink stuff for 32-years with great success. personally, displacing the water with antifreeze leaves no room for doubt but to each their own.

dougrainer wrote:
2. NEVER install antifreeze to the Icemaker system The Antifreeze reacts with the icemaker mold and produces a kind of slime that is time consuming to remove.

this is our 3rd year putting AF in the icemaker. in the spring after i flush the lines i do get a sludgy mix at first but after a few hours it clears up.

I have blown out Rv's for 39 years and have done thousands of them. NEVER had a failure from freeze damage. It is not akin to ford/chevy, it is akin to doing it the CORRECT way when you have the CORRECT equipment. Don't have a compressor? Then Antifreeze is the way to go. I would NOT like antifreeze to be in my icemaker OR my clothes washer. Doug

to each their own.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
rk911 wrote:
dougrainer wrote:

this statement is akin to โ€˜tastes great v less fillingโ€™, ginger or maryann, ford v chevy and jennifer or bailey. weโ€™ve been using the pink stuff for 32-years with great success. personally, displacing the water with antifreeze leaves no room for doubt but to each their own.

dougrainer wrote:
2. NEVER install antifreeze to the Icemaker system The Antifreeze reacts with the icemaker mold and produces a kind of slime that is time consuming to remove.

this is our 3rd year putting AF in the icemaker. in the spring after i flush the lines i do get a sludgy mix at first but after a few hours it clears up.

I have blown out Rv's for 39 years and have done thousands of them. NEVER had a failure from freeze damage. It is not akin to ford/chevy, it is akin to doing it the CORRECT way when you have the CORRECT equipment. Don't have a compressor? Then Antifreeze is the way to go. I would NOT like antifreeze to be in my icemaker OR my clothes washer. Doug

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:

dougrainer wrote:

Rich
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
3 dog nights wrote:
Doug, I had antifreeze pumped into the lines. I "Assume" he was suggesting not leaving the old filters in since they still have water in them and would freeze and crack. He also said to put fresh filters in, in the spring. I would also assume that by putting the caps in over the winter, I would not have any dripping antifreeze in the refer or under the sink. Here in the mountains of Virginia it gets down to single digits frequently. Last year went for about 15 days where it never got above freezing. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

3. Interesting FYI---The Water filters in a Refer will remove the color of the RV antifreeze. Never tested to see if the whole house filters do the same. Doug

3_dog_nights
Explorer
Explorer
Doug, I had antifreeze pumped into the lines. I "Assume" he was suggesting not leaving the old filters in since they still have water in them and would freeze and crack. He also said to put fresh filters in, in the spring. I would also assume that by putting the caps in over the winter, I would not have any dripping antifreeze in the refer or under the sink. Here in the mountains of Virginia it gets down to single digits frequently. Last year went for about 15 days where it never got above freezing. I'd rather be safe than sorry.
Bob & Lynn
2 Chihuahua's, Ella, Gracie

was-2013 Open Range 424RLS,06' Chevy 3500, dually, Duramax/Allison

also was - 2015 Winnebago Adventurer 37F, towing 2003 Jeep Wrangler

now - 2021 NoBo 19.5, 2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL (Talk about downsizing!)

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
If it's just the plate that goes into the top, any RV parts store should have them.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Years ago the type RV whole house filters(Everpure was the system) had a plug. Some refers have a BLUE plug to install in place of the water filter. Not all have a plug, depends on the type filter. WHY would you need to install one????????????????? I find the refer plug useful when blowing out the refer water solenoids, but you can leave the original filter IN and after blowing out you remove it and then buy a new one for the spring. For the Whole house filter, also, WHY install a plug??????? I just remove the element, reinstall the canister and then blow out. Once done I remove the canister and dump any residual water in it. Doug

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
mine came with the motorhome but otherwise i'd contact the mfg of the fridge and the mfg of the RV.
Rich
'10 Jeep Liberty KK