cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solar batteries

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
I am trying to get my solar system up to something useable. Does anyone know anything about Apex batteries? I found a 12v 200ah agm for 240.00. What I’m mostly wondering about is quality. What do you think?
Thanks!
10 REPLIES 10

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I can guarantee that if you buy a Rolls Royce Phantom it will outperform any other make as far as warranty issues and carefree driving are concerned. Therefore it is a superior automobile and relegates all others obsolete. Why settle for less?

Lithium versus other chemistries.....

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
Mr wizard thanks that’s the kind of feedback I was looking for. Good info from everybody, thanks. And lithium, we’ll, Santa is going to have to work a little ot for that. Santa don’t like work.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
campigloo wrote:
Oh bummer. I’m looking for maintenance free so it’s looking like that doesn’t exist. Should’ve known it’s too good to be true.
Thanks!
Lithium

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
My AGM maintenance routine was to blow the dust off every year.

I don't know why they're calling it a 'Solar battery'. It's just a battery. Some new buzz- word marketing ploy?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
There is always some maintenance. AGM don't require a lot. I've not even looked at mine for 3 years. However, I tend to use them HARD.

I'd love to have firefly batteries, but I have champagne tastes and a beer budget.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

MrWizard
my 154 pound 4d AGM is a good battery

it weighs more and is rated for a lesser amount of CCA only 1000

the Apex at 117 pounds weight with a higher CCA 1450 and Less $$

likely has very thin plates, which does not make a good use for deep cycle use
in an RV

i pair of 6v GC will weigh a few pounds more and have a higher ampHr rating

i like AGM batteries, i just think the Apex is not a good choice going by the listed specs

the AGMs in my previous RV were 102 pounds each and 135 ampHrs each

I had 5 of them, but (2) would weigh 204 pounds and be 270ampHrs
total

the more 'lead' per ampHr the better the battery, the longer the life
for heavy use

example Apex 117/200=0.58,
mine 154/200=0.77, my previous batteries 204/270=0.755,
approx 50% more lead per rated ampHr
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Maintenance free? Checking wet batteries every two weeks isn’t a burden.

Apex sells batteries, it doesn’t make them. So who “makes” them?

“ApexBattery has been in business since July of 2004 offering factory direct prices on crucial everyday products such as:”

Interesting January 2016 review at https://forum.solar-electric.com/discussion/350303/battery-scam
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
Oh bummer. I’m looking for maintenance free so it’s looking like that doesn’t exist. Should’ve known it’s too good to be true.
Thanks!

MrWizard
how much does that 'apex' battery weigh

IIRC my 200amphr 8a4d AGM is 154 pounds, retail price is $460

i got it surplus for $200

found these specs

Weight 117.00

Amp Hour Capacity 200
Length 20.75"
Width 8.25"
Height 9.4"
Polarity |-||||||+|
Manufacturer Apex Battery
UPC 683405428596
Model Number APX12-200
Terminals L4 Blade
apex_sku APX12-200

CCA 1450

Chemistry Sealed Lead Acid AGM
Condition New
Volts 12

weight seems too light, and cranking amps too high

i have NO experience with this brand
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
No idea of quality, even for the more expensive options. That is a very good price for AGMs!

A note on AGM and solar. AGMs suffer under shallow cycling as with solar, so every so often you must draw them down to 50% SOC and hit them with a high amps (over 20% of AH) charge till full.

That means with a 200AH AGM you need a 40 amp or more charger that will stay at 14.4 or whatever till full, to haul out when you have shore power (not a gen , which can't be run that long).

Also "full" means leaving the charger on at 14.4 or whatever the battery spec says, till amps fall to under 0.5 amps per 100 AH of battery. So now you need an ammeter to tell you when that is. I use my Trimetric for that.

AGMS have their own difficulties besides their advantages!
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.