cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Coupler Lock

HemiMoparGuy198
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Guys, I have a pretty rare issue. I am looking to get a coupler lock for my toy hauler, hoping for one that I can fit a regular lock on the coupler latch as well, for added security. Where my issue is, ball and hitch is 2 3/4" where as all the locks only go up to 2 5/16" and I have purchased a couple different ones and tried them and they will not stay up inside. The trailer isn't super old, I mean it's a 1993, but I have never seen a 2 3/4" ball before on the many different trailers I have owned or borrowed or hauled.
15 REPLIES 15

Y-Guy
Dirtclods wrote:
I've zip tied small Hoilday bells to my cables so if they cut the lock our cable I have a surprize awaiting for them.

Back when we first started ATVing I was warned to lock up our fuel cans, I used a heavy duty cable on our cans and our ATVs. I also bought a LockAlarm with a 15' cable. If its cut or they try to break it the things sounds off at 129db. I'm pretty sure the flashing red light kept a few punks from trying to take off with our gas cans one night too.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
All locks including puck locks along with your $250 locks and cables can be accessed . As the saying goes, โ€œA lock only keeps honest people out.โ€.

At night in the Dez

I've zip tied small Hoilday bells to my cables so if they cut the lock our cable I have a surprize awaiting for them.
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Any thief, regardless of their ability, can overcome any lock with today's portable grinders. All you can hope for is that the noise will attract attention.

Locks with exposed hasps are vulnerable to bolt cutter. A disc lock protects most of the shackle.

Good locks cost GOOD money. There are nor really good locks made in North America or the Orient. The best locks are typically made in Germany (ABUS) or Switzerland. The internals of a good lock are like the internals of a fine mechanical watch.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Might be an option for you....except they are $250.00.

Proven Lock....LINK
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

dedmiston
enblethen wrote:
Why not close the coupler and use a standard pad lock?
Theif would have to cut pad lock.

With our old bumper pull, I used to use a coupler lock until I lost the key at camp once. I thought I was in trouble, but I hit it once with a hammer and it came right off. I had no idea it was so easy.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
2 3/4" hitch ball? never heard or seen one.
Bob

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
77rollalong wrote:
take an old ball, cut off the threaded portion, and then lock the latch. ...

I NEVER would have thought of this. Excellent idea. Although I now have a 5er and don't need this kind of a lock any more, I do have a utility trailer. This is a great idea. And I do have old balls laying around! Thanks for the idea!

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
You said added security~ Just run a cable through the wheels.
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus

77rollalong
Explorer
Explorer
take an old ball, cut off the threaded portion, and then lock the latch. MTO around here will remove on tire off the trailer, which also makes it very hard to move a trailer, and takes a lot longer to take off with it ...

Y-Guy
With my trailers I used a hitch lock but I also ran a cable or chain through the wheels. The hitch locks might slow them down enough to deter them but as Big Katuna noted there are ways around it. The cable/chain through the wheels isn't as noticeable but can really stop them in their tracks.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Why not close the coupler and use a standard pad lock?
Theif would have to cut pad lock.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know what you mean by "staying up inside". I had one like this I used for years on 3 different travel trailers. The bottom part fits flush to the bottom of the coupler and the metal bar over the top is pushed down tight on the top of the coupler. There's no room for anything to move.

You can pick these up anywhere.

It's probably not the "securist" model out there, like stated above, a thief will wrap a chain and go. But if all you need is a deterrent, it's as good as any other.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hi and welcome to the forum.

I grew up around Mt Morris, went to Beecher Schools.

I worked for a locksmith for awhile and there arenโ€™t any commercial locks for 2 3/4 balls that I know of. I donโ€™t think it matters tho as thieves will wrap chains around the A frame and a tall hitch and take the trailer that way.

You can run a cable and or a chain through your rims and have a hitch lock: you want them to give up after a few minutes and move on our find easier pickings.

One guy left his ball mount/hitch locked in the ball turn backwards wrapped in chains around the A frame.

Good luck..
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
The Master lock I use could well fit a 2 3/4 ball.

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Coupler-Locks/Master-Lock/ML389DAT.html?feed=npn&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIlrDOsvHX3gIVgUwNCh1XzQD0EAQYASABEgJr7PD_BwE
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad