Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Can I run my microwave off of battery power?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Can I run my microwave off of battery power?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
camperdave

northern, California

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/18 08:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

nightshift wrote:

I nuke every day with my two 6v 435ah batteries. No genny, just 600w solar.

No fair though, that's a huge battery.

2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

Lwiddis

Kern County, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/16/18 09:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As nightshift said, yes with adequate batteries, wire and inverter.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

Tiger4x4RV

Inland Empire, Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/18 09:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You might consider an alternative to a microwave if the batteries don't do it for you.
Hot Logic Mini - electric lunchbox
This little appliance can be used both for cooking and for heating frozen dinners. It can run on 12V. It will take 3 hours instead of 3 minutes, so you'd have to plan ahead. I have not tried mine in the camper yet, but have used it several times at home on 110V and been very pleased with the results.

I think that Road Pro makes a similar 12V product.

2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

road-runner

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/18 09:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DrewE wrote:

If you're interested in microwaving at all frequently from battery power, I would suggest getting a Panasonic Inverter microwave. The reason is that using lower power levels on it actually lowers the peak power consumption, rather than simply cycling full power as other microwave ovens do. With a barely sufficient battery bank that can make a substantial difference.

I think they generally work well on MSW inverter power, too, without much if any cooking power loss.
Have you actually run a Panasonic "inverter" microwave on MSW? I wouldn't want to make a broad statement from a single trial, but I can say that the one time I tried it, the microwave didn't cook at all, on any power level.

2009 Fleetwood Icon

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/18 09:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

vermilye wrote:

DrewE wrote:

If you're interested in microwaving at all frequently from battery power, I would suggest getting a Panasonic Inverter microwave. The reason is that using lower power levels on it actually lowers the peak power consumption, rather than simply cycling full power as other microwave ovens do. With a barely sufficient battery bank that can make a substantial difference.

I think they generally work well on MSW inverter power, too, without much if any cooking power loss.
2X on the Panasonic Inverter Microwave. I ran a 600 watt microwave off 2 6V batteries in my previous trailer without problems, but got tired of adjusting cooking times.

I added the 950 watt Panasonic Inverter microwave in my new trailer (still 2 6V 220 amp hour batteries) and if the batteries are low, use reduced power settings. On full power, 5 minutes (130 amp draw) works OK with full batteries.

3x on the panasonic true inverter. In fact we run ours on a 1000W PSW inverter, just set the power to 50%. takes about 25% longer than full power but works great.

Now even with that, GC batteries have high enough internal resistance that a pair is marginal unless near full charge, while 4 work great down to around 50% SOC

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/18 10:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

road-runner wrote:

DrewE wrote:

Have you actually run a Panasonic "inverter" microwave on MSW? I wouldn't want to make a broad statement from a single trial, but I can say that the one time I tried it, the microwave didn't cook at all, on any power level.

No, I have not tried it. Based on the general circuit design principles, I would expect it to do fine, but I don't speak from personal experience--hence the "I think" rather than a statement of fact. (As I understand it, the inverter part is basically just a high-voltage switching power supply, rather than the high voltage line transformer and voltage doubler circuit used by typical microwaves.)

MEXICOWANDERER

las peƱas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/18 11:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

New Panasonic 1000 watt Microwave

Old Trace MSW 4024 SB

Press start button to warm coffee 3 minutes

NYAYANNNNNT ZOOT! Odor of discrete parts overcooked.

Forty five dollars later repair outlet hands inverter to me with a replaced controlled circuit board.

Three weeks after, Trace failed. 4 FETS and 3 capacitors.

That learned me...

But your mileage may vary [emoticon] ...

nightshift

Vancouver, BC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/16/18 12:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

camperdave wrote:

nightshift wrote:

I nuke every day with my two 6v 435ah batteries. No genny, just 600w solar.

No fair though, that's a huge battery.

True dat. But I can't live without my L16s! Go big or go home.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/18 04:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jplante4 wrote:

I have 4 6v batteries and a 2000w MSW inverter. I've used the microwave for short bursts like defrosting with no issues. It sounds like it's unhappy but the amp draw was within expectations.

I did notice that the clock runs faster on the inverter.

Ok some science.. The clock runs faster because it is MSW.. Now.. I do not know if you know what a STILE is (Has 3 meanings I am familure with. IN one series of science fiction books it is the name of Citizen BLUE. He got that name (Which also means a pile of what the horse left behind) Because after looking at a pile of. Horse...stuff.. He diagnosed a horse as sick and a vet was able to easily cure saving his master (he was a slave not a citizen at the time) many bucks.

IT is also the name of the stairs that go up and over a fence. We had one on the SWINE side of the farm I grew up on . People (And cats) can cross but SWINE can not.

This last resembles teh MSW wave form.. Stair steps up and down. Usually 3 steps.. Flat topped. the clock reads every STEP not just the cycle as it does with True Sine.

Now if you draw a straight line at ZERO and look only at the POSITIVE side of the wave form the area under the stair steps is identical to the area under a same RMS Sine wave.. So you get 125V RMS. if you power an incandescent lamp or resistive heater. SAME SAME either way.

But the microwave is a peak reading. and the MSW is "Flat topped" so the peak is LOWER.. thus the Microwave has less power.

Oh and Steps are made up of all the odd harmonics 60hz. 180 hz (3rd harmonic) 5th 7th 99ths 1001th Eventually the filters cut them out but that is why they can mess up your TV and Audio systems.

And the steamer just said "DInner time" So I'll end this post here.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

Merrykalia

Appalachian (apple at chun) Mtn in the GREAT SW Va

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/16/18 05:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If the food has begun to thaw, it will not take as long to fully cook. Just use a thermometer to make sure it is up to temp - 165 degrees before you eat it.

2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Can I run my microwave off of battery power?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.