cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Storage on driveway

PierreBois
Explorer
Explorer
We are changing things up a bit this winter in that we are planning on heading south after New Years. I have always stored my trailer on grass with a tarp between the ground and the tires. This year i am parking on my driveway for the time before we leave. My driveway is asphalt. I was once told that the rig shouldn't be stored on a concrete pad for any length of time, and now I wonder if the same holds true for asphalt. Thanks for any advice
2017 319RLS OR 5th wheel
2017 Ram 1500

We travel initially to lose ourselves; and we travel, next to find ourselves. And we travel, in essence, to become young fools again- to slow time down and get taken in, and fall in love once more."
โ€” Pico Iyer
45 REPLIES 45

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
larry barnhart wrote:
Our fifth is parked on concrete at home with plywood under the tires. 6 months and the next 6 months parked on gravel with plywood under the tires. Just my way of doing what I feel is good.

chevman

Yer a Carpenter, we use wood for everything!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
Our fifth is parked on concrete at home with plywood under the tires. 6 months and the next 6 months parked on gravel with plywood under the tires. Just my way of doing what I feel is good.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
I need it makes the tire cops feel better, my shop and garage have epoxy coated floors and tires still leave a black mark on them when parked for a long time.
Too much ado about nothing....
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Park where YA want!!! It's all a bunch of "Barbra Streisand".
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

packnrat
Explorer
Explorer
just do not let the tires sit in water. for like 6-8 months.
2006 F250 4X4 auto 6.0 short bed
2001 sunnybrook 24 ft
1984 cj7 built up a bit
kg6tgu
never too many toys, just not enought room to keep them
one dog who belives she is the master. rip 12 12 2007
12 loving years and loyal to the end.
just out having fun

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Do not confuse sealer with curing compound.
Curing compound is sprayed on after pouring to aid setting of concrete
Sealer is sprayed after concrete has set. Curing compound should be washed off before sealer is applied.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
CapriRacer wrote:
Lynnmor wrote:
Thanks for that important, useful information. Here is the issue explained for those with open minds: tire stains

There's a bit more to it than that.

Rubber will absorb petrochemicals - such as asphalt. So if you drive on a newly paved road, the tires will not only pickup some of that asphalt, but some of it will be absorbed by the tire. A tire will not only deposit the excess asphalt onto a garage floor, but some of the absorbed asphalt will too.

All I was trying to say was that something migrated from the tires to the floor. If concrete has the ability to absorb the rubber preservatives, then it might be a good idea to use a barrier.

The sealer that I used is to be applied immediately after the floor is finished. Other types of sealers need curing time before application. Again, this is about effects on the tire, so I mentioned concrete and sealer for more complete information.

Vehicles stored outdoors on concrete may not show the brown stain due to weather cleansing the surface. The asphalt theory may be the problem, I don't know. Since I live in PA where paving is rare so the only newly paved roads are some distance from my home base. I do know that tires get a brown color from the preservatives coming to the surface.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
This thread took a left turn....
Now Iโ€™m cornfused. I donโ€™t know where to drive or park without destroying my tires !
I thought I had this world all figured out and now this? Couldnโ€™t hardly sleep last night....

Lol
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

CapriRacer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lynnmor wrote:
Thanks for that important, useful information. Here is the issue explained for those with open minds: tire stains

There's a bit more to it than that.

Rubber will absorb petrochemicals - such as asphalt. So if you drive on a newly paved road, the tires will not only pickup some of that asphalt, but some of it will be absorbed by the tire. A tire will not only deposit the excess asphalt onto a garage floor, but some of the absorbed asphalt will too.

CapriRacer

Visit my web site: www.BarrysTireTech.com

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lynnmor wrote:
My trailer always is parked at the exact same spot in my pole barn. The concrete floor had a sealer applied when new and now there are brown spots at each tire location. I believe that the preservative in the tires is slowly being absorbed by the concrete despite the sealer. I don't know if this has much of a negative effect on the tires, but my floor is getting uglier with each passing year.
My dually is parked on a non-sealed concrete pad for six months or more at a time, and I've noticed no discoloration of the concrete. It's possible the sealant is what is being discolored and not the concrete.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

RayJayco
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:

My trailer always is parked at the exact same spot in my pole barn. The concrete floor had a sealer applied when new and now there are brown spots at each tire location. I believe that the preservative in the tires is slowly being absorbed by the concrete despite the sealer. I don't know if this has much of a negative effect on the tires, but my floor is getting uglier with each passing year.

Did you allow the concrete to cure at least 30 days before you applied the sealer?
Inquiring minds want to know...

imgoin4it
Explorer
Explorer
I donโ€™t know the answer, but when I parked my motor home on concrete drive for a couple of months the contact area right under the tires were always black. About the same color as the tires. Spots are not there when I park for short periods of time and itโ€™s not there when I put heavy plastic bags under the tires. I put heavy ( water softener salt bags) under the tires and will continue to do so.
Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
PierreBois wrote:
I was once told that the rig shouldn't be stored on a concrete pad for any length of time, and now I wonder if the same holds true for asphalt. Thanks for any advice

So... what do you think happens when people snowbird and spend 4 or 5 months parked on a concrete site in the south? What do you think happens when an RV is parked at a major dealership on concrete for months at a time until its sold?

Don't believe everything you read on the internet...
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Pierre,

You have a lot here, but the one thing that has not been said is DO NOT STORE any vehicle (that can rust at all) over open soil. That soil will serve as a moisture source so increase the rate of corrosion to a remarkable level.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.