cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Options for propane regulators

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
I have the mixing valve that automatically switches over. Its leaking and also has a bad hose. Trailer is only 5 years old. My friends tell me the regulators are junk and fail often.

Is there a higher quality brand lots of people install?
Buy cheap and replace every couple years?

Was considering ditching the mixing valve all together. Does a regulator designed for propane BBQ work at the same pressure as an RV?
22 REPLIES 22

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
mobeewan wrote:
For the OP. Make sure what ever you get for replacement hoses have green acme nuts to connect to the cylinders. Hoses/regulators for BBQ grills have black acme nuts which are for low flow since they are servicing only one appliance. Hoses with green acme nuts are for medium flow and used typically on travel trailers because you may be running furnace, water heater and oven simultaneously. Hoses with red acme nuts are for high flow. Typically used with appliances that have large burners or multiple appliances run simultaneously requiring lots of propane.

Did not know that. Thanks for the info!
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I got sick and tired of one-unit regulators and replaced it with 10 lb regulator then an 11" water column regulator. Several decades no problems.

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thanks, time2roll. No plans for remote sensor. I think I can glue this cap on permanently with no consequences. Or maybe seal the peephole.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
wopachop wrote:
Hi again.
Im in the USA where are you guys buying your Cavagna propane hoses? All ive found so far is Cavagna Group 50A1900038 but it doesnt have the green color handle.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cavagna-Group-50-A-190-0038-Propane-Hose/132775695482

https://www.rvplus.com/cavagna-lp-pigtail-15-acme-w-hangtag-50-a-190-0038.html

I think it is green.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Almot wrote:
What is the purpose of that plastic cap on the very top of Marshall? It says "Do not remove", and comes off easily - too easily. There is a small hole in the metal body underneath. Not sure that plastic will last long in the hot sun. Not very smart design, this part.
There is a remote accessory to pop on there.

Amazon

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
What is the purpose of that plastic cap on the very top of Marshall? It says "Do not remove", and comes off easily - too easily. There is a small hole in the metal body underneath. Not sure that plastic will last long in the hot sun. Not very smart design, this part.

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
Hi again.
Im in the USA where are you guys buying your Cavagna propane hoses? All ive found so far is Cavagna Group 50A1900038 but it doesnt have the green color handle.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cavagna-Group-50-A-190-0038-Propane-Hose/132775695482?epid=656146404&hash=i...

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
rhagfo wrote:
time2roll wrote:
That Marshall is what I had and disliked the whole time. Indicator would sort of creep up and was hard to tell if the cylinder was truly empty. Almost ran out a few times second guessing after pulling a cylinder and it was still 30%. The window became very fogged over time making the read even worse.
I really like our Marshall as it would tell if one or both tanks were empty. It turns half red when the primary tank is empty, and all red if both are empty, or backup is turned off.
Odd feature to tell you when both are empty because I want to know when one is empty. That little window was very hard to read with fractions of a millimeter to determine the primary cylinder is empty. As I sad it was hard to hit correctly and I was often short or long in getting the cylinder filled. BTW no regulator indicator is needed when both are empty because at that point I just know.

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
For the OP. Make sure what ever you get for replacement hoses have green acme nuts to connect to the cylinders. Hoses/regulators for BBQ grills have black acme nuts which are for low flow since they are servicing only one appliance. Hoses with green acme nuts are for medium flow and used typically on travel trailers because you may be running furnace, water heater and oven simultaneously. Hoses with red acme nuts are for high flow. Typically used with appliances that have large burners or multiple appliances run simultaneously requiring lots of propane.

rhagfo
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
That Marshall is what I had and disliked the whole time. Indicator would sort of creep up and was hard to tell if the cylinder was truly empty. Almost ran out a few times second guessing after pulling a cylinder and it was still 30%. The window became very fogged over time making the read even worse.

I really like our Marshall as it would tell if one or both tanks were empty. It turns half red when the primary tank is empty, and all red if both are empty, or backup is turned off.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
Hey i dont mind off topics. Got any bbq recipes??

Someone mentioned wd40 on the swivel connection. Thats interesting. Does it clean away dirt and allow the metal on metal connection to seal again? Im currently boondocking and ended up hot gluing the sucker last night. It sealed when i first checked. Should go check it again.

Here is another question.
How often do you think the fridge cycles on propane? Because if my hose was leaking i would turn on the propane for a bit to cool the fridge, then shut it all down and not open the door. Lets say its 60 or 70F outside. How often and for how many minutes would you open the propane and turn the fridge to ON?

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
RobWNY wrote:
I don't want to hijack this thread but can someone tell me if the Cavagna brand regulator goes from Green to Red only when completely empty all at once or does it change slowly showing the propane level?

Happens quickly.

Thanks! Back to the OP's question
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
RobWNY wrote:
I don't want to hijack this thread but can someone tell me if the Cavagna brand regulator goes from Green to Red only when completely empty all at once or does it change slowly showing the propane level?

Happens quickly.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have not stood and watched for the switch but it has never been in a middle position. Seems to snap into place.