Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: RVing in Canada and Alaska: Banff/Lake Louise/Jasper
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Canada

> Banff/Lake Louise/Jasper

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/18 10:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't forget the Alberta Provincial Campground irrc it is Called Bow Valley.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

profdant139

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/18 10:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For what it is worth, we did not like staying at Lake Louise -- too much train noise. We stayed at Yoho and "commuted" to Lake Louise for a few days. Not a bad drive, and a much quieter campground. Not as "urban" as Tunnel Mountain.

The hiking at Lake Louise is world-class -- this was taken in September in the Valley of the Ten Peaks, during larch season:

[image]
[image]Click For Full-Size Image.

Here is a blog post that may be of interest:

LL blog post

2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

K_and_I

North Central Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/20/18 11:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

profdant139 wrote:

For what it is worth, we did not like staying at Lake Louise -- too much train noise. We stayed at Yoho and "commuted" to Lake Louise for a few days. Not a bad drive, and a much quieter campground. Not as "urban" as Tunnel Mountain.

Actually I had already read (and enjoyed) your blog posts. The 2 reasons I was leaning toward Lake Louise for camping was electric hookups and availability of reservations. I can live for a couple of days without hookups, but I am concerned about coming late July without a reservation. In Sept I wouldn't worry about it, but in July?

K_and_I
2011 Rockwood 2604
Nights Camped in 2017: 41
Do we have time for shortcuts?

fanrgs

Mile High City

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/22/18 09:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

K_and_I wrote:

I can live for a couple of days without hookups, but I am concerned about coming late July without a reservation. In Sept I wouldn't worry about it, but in July?
If you can live without hookups for a couple of days, consider camping at Johnston Canyon instead of the very noisy Lake Louise campground (the mainline of the Canadian Pacific Railroad between Toronto and Vancouver runs right next to the campground fence). And don't miss driving over Kicking Horse Pass to see the railroad's fascinating Spiral Tunnels and spectacular Takakkaw Falls, Canada's second highest.

"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

canadafan

Norfolk UK

View Profile

Posted: 11/23/18 07:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Johnson Canyon is reservable and you will need to do this as it can get VERY busy in July/August.
Also beware the sites here are also near the railway and the Bow Valley Parkway.
If you want somewhere quieter (further away from the railway) go a bit further north to Castle Mountain CG, the disadvantage here is that it does not take reservations.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/23/18 08:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

personally I think no reservations is a heck of a lot more fair.

c.traveler2

Moreno Valley,Ca.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/01/18 07:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

K_and_I wrote:

It's time for me to start bugging you kind folks again. The DW and I plan to try for Alaska this summer, and hope to spend some time in the Banff to Jasper area on the way. It's hard to narrow down the things we want to do, but we need to in order to have time to see Alaska, too. I'm thinking about 6 nights total in that area. I have a list of things we want to do in each general area:
5 in Banff
6 in Lake Louise
4 in Jasper
Does it make more sense to stay in Banff (I'm thinking Tunnel Mountain Trailer Park) for 4 nights and do all the driving to LL or 2 nights in Banff and 2 in LL. We do plan to do 2 nights in Jasper at the end. It seems that for everything we want to do in LL we need to be there early before parking lots fill up. I can see distances on a map, but I'm not sure how that translates into driving time in late July. I hope to make reservations for all areas as soon as the reservation system opens up in Jan. We hope to get at least electric sites if not more. Anyway, if anyone has an opinion, I welcome it.
TIA

Making reservations well in advance is the way to go if you plan on staying at any of those campgrounds/parks site. We were there this past 2018 summer and it was packed, we stayed in the overflow area near Lake Louise. If you can take a shuttle into Lake Louise, parking fills up fast and is limited.

2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman21000 YouTube Videos
Alex and Julie's Travels Blog

StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 12/05/18 08:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tunnel mountain is decent if you stay in village two you gave just power. the trailer court has all three services. I would stay in Banff and drive to lake Louise. it is about 30 to 40 min to drive and the campground in LL isnt the best. you an park your truck in the parking areas and shuttle right to the lake. really one day walking around is all you would need. for Banff there is now a bus service that goes right into town from the campground which I found real handy. I believe there is a bus that goes to lake Louise also if you don't want to drive.

Steve

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK

K_and_I

North Central Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/05/18 05:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

StirCrazy wrote:

tunnel mountain is decent if you stay in village two you gave just power. the trailer court has all three services. I would stay in Banff and drive to lake Louise. it is about 30 to 40 min to drive and the campground in LL isnt the best. you an park your truck in the parking areas and shuttle right to the lake. really one day walking around is all you would need. for Banff there is now a bus service that goes right into town from the campground which I found real handy. I believe there is a bus that goes to lake Louise also if you don't want to drive.

Steve

Is 30-40 minutes still accurate in late July? If so, I could live with that drive. I was under the impression it would extend quite a bit longer during the crowded season.
Thanks to all who have replied. I'm still noodling on it.

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/05/18 05:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We were there in July and the road between Banff and LL is a 4 lane highway and had minimal traffic. Once you get to the LL parking lot you'll hit the traffic jam. The roads close to LL are busy but were not blocked with traffic before then. But on the other hand the overflow camping area, which is on the side of that 4 lane road, was just about empty when we were there and someone reported it as being full above. That might depend on the time of week and it might fill up later in the day. From the distance it just looked like a parking lot to me.

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Canada

> Banff/Lake Louise/Jasper
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS