cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Diesel class A idling for a looooong time

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer
I have been driving a 40' diesel class A for about 14 years, and during that time I have heard and read many rants and complaints about diesel owners idling for long times while sitting in the campground, usually prior to departing. I have to say, I have never witnessed this and personally do not practice it either. To get ready to leave a campsite, I run my rig for about 5 minutes to air it up, and warm up the engine. In my opinion, nothing more is required prior to departing.

This morning it happened. We are staying at a resort campground with concrete road and sites that are about 80' long. This morning I was outside taking the pups for a walk, and noticed this rig across the street was idling. The owner was outside, apparently getting ready to leave. As I watched (and while the coach was running) he made at least 10 trips back and forth from inside the motorhome to the pickup truck, getting it hooked up and ready to leave. When I say at least 10 trips, I'm not making it up. There were at least 8 trips to hookup and check out the operation of his lights. Several more to insure the truck was hooked up properly, at least two trips around the coach to check that all was well, etc. I started timing this drama after the coach reached full pressure and it was over half hour, so about 40 minutes sitting, idling. As an owner of a diesel motorhome, I can assure you that virtually everything he did could have been accomplished with the motor OFF! I have no problem with being safe, and careful, just do it with consideration for others.

When he finally finished, and prior to getting into his coach to leave, he looked over at me sitting on my picnic table and walked across the street toward me. He started by saying, "guess you never realize how long it takes to get these things ready!!". I responded, "Yes, especially while your motorhome is idling the whole time, and bothering everyone around you.". He asked if it bothered me, and I responded yes, particularly when it's not necessary. It is rude and inconsiderate of everyone around him. He shrugged his shoulders, and responded, "no it doesn't", before turning and walking away.

I guess it's true, you can't fix stupid. On behalf of polite diesel drivers, my apologies to all those who have experienced this in your travels. And if you happen to come across a Foretravel U320, #17237, Be ready to have your morning sleep disturbed.
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog
18 REPLIES 18

et2
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
et2 wrote:
I guess 6 pages of the last same thread wasn't enough. I wonder why people camp sometimes. Maybe it's just to find things to complain about :h
Probably for the same reason people complain about a thread when all they have to do is just ignore it.

I believe mine was more of a statement. A complaint would be more along the line of "questioning" why're we having another thread like this while there's already one going, that's it's really not necessary.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Some people have little consideration for others. Some people go to sleep at nine and are early risers. They get pissed off because someone ran their generator until 10.

It is the reason I mostly boondock camp. Thursday night I was in a campground and was the only person there. It was just me, my dog and a Great Horned Owl hooting. Lovely. On Friday night a half dozen TTs showed up and several were running really loud generators. A whole different experience. I left early the next day.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
et2 wrote:
I guess 6 pages of the last same thread wasn't enough. I wonder why people camp sometimes. Maybe it's just to find things to complain about :h
Probably for the same reason people complain about a thread when all they have to do is just ignore it.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Unless there is an exhaust leak...it really doesn't bother me. I might be mildly amused but I'm not going to get passive-aggressive with someone over it.

That said, once the oil pressure is up and the air brakes are charged...just take off and go easy accelerating for the first 5 minutes. Diesels struggle to heat up when idling (even fast idle) because it takes so little fuel to idle, they aren't adding much heat to the engine block. Tooling out of the campground at 5mph is going to heat up the engine a lot faster and won't do any damage.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Oh yes, this happened to us on the Oregon coast at 6 in the morning. he came to our side of the MH and I told him in so many cuss words that I knew how much I appreciated his in-considered morning wake up call. and just as I was done cussing him out he just kept doing nothing. I put the Kramer curse on him

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
LanceRKeys wrote:
WILDEBILL308 wrote:
Keep in mind it isn't just diesel motorhomes. I have heard more loud diesel trucks than motorhomes.
By the way the proper way when starting a cold diesel is right after oil preshure comes up to bump it up to fast idle. On low idle it isn't burning all the diesel and it can wash down your cylinder walls causing more wear and contamination of the oil. The fast idle creates enough boost to increase combustion temps and get a full burn of the fuel.
Bill

Ok Iโ€™m going to jump out there and show my ignorance. Are you being sarcastic or should I actually warm up my truck on high idle? 2001 power stroke, I do have a high idle setting but donโ€™t use it much.

I was taught to watch the oil pressure gauge. When you start cold itโ€™s low. Bumping the idle to 700 or so brings the needle up a lot. I set the idle a little high on my Harley for the same reason; get that idle OP up a bit.

I agree letting it and idle longer than five minutes is excess ALTHOUGH my coach your supposed to idle while you drop air, level and put slides out. Sometimes that can take a few extra minutes.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

et2
Explorer
Explorer

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Do the owner's manuals call for any sort of warm-ups or warm downs?
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

MrWizard
yes a few minutes, but not 40 minutes, and hour etc..

yes i had a DP, now i have a gasser
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Edd505 wrote:
I have drive Super duties since 1999 & owned a class 8 tractor. The diesel needs to idle when shutting down to allow the turbo to cool and when starting & warm & build air pressure for the brakes.

SOP for me. Called temperature stabilization. Do that with all my oil burners, farm tractors, pickup truck and Class 8 tractor trailer.

5 before and 5 after. Longer before if it's cold outside.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
LanceRKeys wrote:
WILDEBILL308 wrote:
Keep in mind it isn't just diesel motorhomes. I have heard more loud diesel trucks than motorhomes.
By the way the proper way when starting a cold diesel is right after oil preshure comes up to bump it up to fast idle. On low idle it isn't burning all the diesel and it can wash down your cylinder walls causing more wear and contamination of the oil. The fast idle creates enough boost to increase combustion temps and get a full burn of the fuel.
Bill

Ok Iโ€™m going to jump out there and show my ignorance. Are you being sarcastic or should I actually warm up my truck on high idle? 2001 power stroke, I do have a high idle setting but donโ€™t use it much.

He is ccorrect. A diesel will also warm up faster at high idle.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Reminds me of the time when Amy and I were camping at a campground on the outer banks and a big diesel pusher next to us idled his engine all night and the exhaust pipe was pointed at our camper.

I wanted to go over and stuff something in it. being diesel probably would have done no good but if it was a gasser, I would have ended their stay with the motor running.

A potato in the tailpipe does the job nicely. Been there and did it before. Take a broom and shove it up real far so no one can figure out why the motor won't run....

Woke up in the AM and the camper stunk like diesel exhaust.

Why I like disbursed camping.... No neighbors.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
I have drive Super duties since 1999 & owned a class 8 tractor. The diesel needs to idle when shutting down to allow the turbo to cool and when starting & warm & build air pressure for the brakes.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
We work it as a team, Barb gets the interior ready, and brings the slide in.
I hook up the jeep, and bring in all the hoses unhook/stow the power cord, climb in, start the cummins, raise the jacks. By the time the jacks are up, I have check all the lights, done my walk around.

Push the big yellow button, and go.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.