Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Maintaining higher mileage trucks
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Maintaining higher mileage trucks

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/18 03:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Per Repair Pal:

The average cost for a Ford F-150 water pump replacement is between $255 and $352.
Labor costs are estimated between $137 and $174 while parts are priced between $118 and $178. Estimate does not include taxes and fees.

Repair Pal Link

Did they replace belts, pulleys, hoses etc???

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
On the Road Debt Free April '07
Off the road still Debt Free Jan. '14

transamz9

Lawrenceburg Ky

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/18 03:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FishOnOne wrote:

I use dealership techs for my repairs for a reason.

Sorry Fish, got a do it.... I thought you have had no repairs on your current truck or you six oh before it. ??

2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/18/18 03:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Old-Biscuit wrote:

Per Repair Pal:

The average cost for a Ford F-150 water pump replacement is between $255 and $352.
Labor costs are estimated between $137 and $174 while parts are priced between $118 and $178. Estimate does not include taxes and fees.

Repair Pal Link

Did they replace belts, pulleys, hoses etc???

Interesting link, $361 to $436 to replace a water pump on a 6.7 Cummins Ram, 2 bolts and $60 part????

* This post was edited 11/18/18 04:11pm by rhagfo *

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/18 04:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

transamz9 wrote:

FishOnOne wrote:

Sorry Fish, got a do it.... I thought you have had no repairs on your current truck or you six oh before it. ??

I never said that... I recently had to have the passenger side hub/bearing replaced.

I can say that my 98 F150 (140k), 05 Super Duty (170k) and my current 12 Super Duty (160K) with a combined 470,000 miles I never had to have a water pump changed. My '92 Chevy 350 was the last truck I had to have a water pump changed and a dealer tech did the work.

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs
"Built Ford Proud"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Durb

NW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/18/18 04:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Old Days wrote:

I have a 2011 Ford F-250 but only have 34000 miles on it, I would love a new truck but can't justify the cost. And DW will not let me buy one.[emoticon] If you have the money I would say go for it you only live once.

In my mind, you do have a new truck, or almost new.

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/18 04:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MitchF150 wrote:

The water pump on my Eco is INSIDE the timing chain cover, so the whole front end will have to come off for that to be changed..

Mitch,
Your water pump on your 3.5 Ecoboost is actually mounted externally on the timing change cover.

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/18 05:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Groover wrote:

Terryallan wrote:

I guess I'm different. I use local shops for regular maint. but for something big. I take it to the ford store. They DO have the right parts, They ARE trained by Ford. they HAVE seen it before, and In truth they are not much more expensive than the local shop where you see vehicles sitting there for months. I can't have my vehicle sit on a fly by night lot for months. I need it fixed right, and fixed quick. A friend of mine is even now taking his truck back to a local shop to get the same fixed AGAIN.
Plus, and this is important. The Ford store warranties their repairs, and their parts for life. So if it messes up a gain. they fix it free.

Thirty years ago my father bought a Crown Victoria and took it to the dealer when the AC quit and got one of those warranted for life repairs. Six months later it had the exact same symptoms but the dealer insisted that the cause was different and therefore not warranted. Some thing again just a few more months later. After that no more trips to the dealer. It is still very rare for me to take any of my vehicles to a dealer if I am paying the bill.

Things change over 30 years. It has already paid off for me. got a 35 hundred dollar trans rebuild, for no charge. The manufacturers stand behind their vehicles better today. they have to, To stay competitive.

And BTW. the cost difference between the dealer, and the local shop, is very narrow, and n truth. you get what you pay for.

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/18 05:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Old-Biscuit wrote:

I use Dealer for routine service......oil changes etc cause I get a really good price for those.

Really ? Hard to believe.

I am not quite as old as some of you, but I will continue to change my own oil and filter as requires until I just can't do it anymore ! It takes me a couple of hours from start to finish, but I figure I save between $20-$50 each time.

transamz9

Lawrenceburg Ky

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/18 05:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FishOnOne wrote:

transamz9 wrote:

FishOnOne wrote:

I never said that... I recently had to have the passenger side hub/bearing replaced.

I can say that my 98 F150 (140k), 05 Super Duty (170k) and my current 12 Super Duty (160K) with a combined 470,000 miles I never had to have a water pump changed. My '92 Chevy 350 was the last truck I had to have a water pump changed and a dealer tech did the work.

I just changed one a couple months back on a 13 F150 with the 5.0. $80 water pump , couple gallon of antifreeze and 45 minutes. It was still harder than a Cummins h2o pump though.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/18 06:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

theoldwizard1 wrote:

Old-Biscuit wrote:

I use Dealer for routine service......oil changes etc cause I get a really good price for those.

Really ? Hard to believe.

I am not quite as old as some of you, but I will continue to change my own oil and filter as requires until I just can't do it anymore ! It takes me a couple of hours from start to finish, but I figure I save between $20-$50 each time.
Yeah, me too. It costs me about $25 for the 3 gallons of oil and $10 for the filter, and takes about 20 minutes start to finish. Of course the Fumoto drain helps make it pretty painless and clean.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Maintaining higher mileage trucks
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS