cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need a little winter camping advice please

abc40kids
Explorer
Explorer
I’ve never camped past October and this week we will be camping for Thanksgiving. Temps will get down to 20 at night and at least one day only up to the low 30’s. I have a 2015 Montana Mountaineer 356TBF. I was told it had heated tanks and I have a heated city water hose. Any thoughts like leaving the water dripping.... This is all new to me camping below freezing. Thanks!
Jeff,Julie,Amber,Brandon,and Casey and Winston ( our 5 year old Golden ) and Bruno the Pug. We now have an English Cream, white Golden Retriever as well.
2015 Keystone Montana Mountaineer 356TBF
2005 Chevy duramax dually
17 REPLIES 17

lee_worsdell
Explorer
Explorer
better idea go south

packnrat
Explorer
Explorer
so how did it all go?
what did, or not do?
2006 F250 4X4 auto 6.0 short bed
2001 sunnybrook 24 ft
1984 cj7 built up a bit
kg6tgu
never too many toys, just not enought room to keep them
one dog who belives she is the master. rip 12 12 2007
12 loving years and loyal to the end.
just out having fun

richclover
Explorer
Explorer
Veebyes wrote:
Sure would like to know how those heated tanks work? Suspect that the manufacturers idea of heated tanks means that the furnace is in the same compartment as the tanks & a warmed hose runs from the furnace to the vents. Like that is going to yield any real heat to the tanks.

Better off putting a small electric heater in that basement area to keep things above freezing.

I have owned “heated” tanks on my last toy hauler. The “basement”, underside of the trailer, was wide open and the “heat” was 12V heating elements glued to the tanks. I never used the 12V heaters. Too much battery drain and I never wanted to heat the Great Outdoors. Instead I insulated the water tank after gluing on 110V heating cords and routing the plugs inside. During the usual morning and evening generator runs I had heat on the tank, fill pipe and intake pipe, all insulated. With 25-50 gl of water in the tank it takes a while, and well below freezing temperatures, to ice the tank. The pipes are another story, but I made it work.

Usual black and gray water tank usage never caused a problem for me. Weeklong camping in temperatures down to single digits night, barely up to freezing daytime. If needed a liberal dose of hot water, shower hose, should fix the problem. Think propane.

The new rig... Enclosed “basement” and advertised heated tank. Worked well in late October. Right, furnace ducts likely routed through the tank area. Works for me. Well below freezing and the only problem was the intermittent hot water heater operation. To be remedied with a Hott Rod 110V kit. Generator run = heat to the hot water heater. Supplements the propane.

The cold can be delt with. Mostly it just takes Fuel 😉
Rich
2019 RAM 1500 Classic 4X4 Hemi
2021 CanAm Maverick DS Turbo
Southern NV

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you don't have a switch for tank heaters, then they are probably heated by the furnace. My Jayco tanks are heated by the furnace, and have done well camping in the 20's.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sure would like to know how those heated tanks work? Suspect that the manufacturers idea of heated tanks means that the furnace is in the same compartment as the tanks & a warmed hose runs from the furnace to the vents. Like that is going to yield any real heat to the tanks.

Better off putting a small electric heater in that basement area to keep things above freezing.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
abc40kids wrote:
My water heater is empty right now so I guess I’ll hook up city water, let the water heater fill and then disconnect and fill the fresh water tank up like half way.

I think I'd fill the fresh tank up full while it's warm. It'll be more of a "heat sink" if there's more water in it to cool down.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

2Rad4U
Explorer II
Explorer II
abc40kids wrote:
Thanks, yes we will be at a full hook-up campground. So just keep the fresh water tank always at like 3/4 full and no exterior hoses.

Yes.

I'll be camping this week and one night is supposed to be 26 degrees. I will put enough water in the fresh tank to get me through a day/night and drop the city water hose. The heater will take care of the rest for one night.
Chris
2005 Rockwood 2516G (sold)
2005 Max-Lite 24RS (sold)
2019 Rockwood 2608BS (sold)
2020 Grand Design 337RLS
2018 Chevy 2500HD

abc40kids
Explorer
Explorer
My water heater is empty right now so I guess I’ll hook up city water, let the water heater fill and then disconnect and fill the fresh water tank up like half way.
Jeff,Julie,Amber,Brandon,and Casey and Winston ( our 5 year old Golden ) and Bruno the Pug. We now have an English Cream, white Golden Retriever as well.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
If this is to be the last trip of the season, take along what you will need to winterize the RV.

There is an excellent thread under the full time forum called "winter camping".

What to do about condensation?

The cause of the condensation is the walls are below the dew point temperature. If the walls can be made warm enough the problem disappears. Running a fan to circulate air may help to raise the temperature on the surface of the wall.

One other solution is to reduce the relative humidity inside the RV.

The easiest way to do that is to open a roof vent a bit, find the furthest window from the vent and open that a bit. An electric heater near the window will improve that and keep you warmer. I'd suggest a low wattage radiant type, or a small oil filled (if the oil filled can be on a shelf so the air from the window passes over the fins.)

I know opening a vent and window when it is cold seems counter intuitive, but it does work.

Another possible solution is an electric dehumidifier--but the cooler it is the poorer they work. They are generally energy hogs, some what bulky and definitely noisy.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

abc40kids
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, yes we will be at a full hook-up campground. So just keep the fresh water tank always at like 3/4 full and no exterior hoses.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Check the propane every day. And check it at least an hour before the propane store closes.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
I helps also to keep cabinet doors open where water lines are located.
This allows heat from the interior to circulate around lines to help keep them from freezing.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

2Rad4U
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would fill my freshwater tank and remove the city water hose from both the camper and the campground faucet.

Keep the hot water heater on.

In your situation, that's all I would do.

I'm assuming you'll be in a campground.
Chris
2005 Rockwood 2516G (sold)
2005 Max-Lite 24RS (sold)
2019 Rockwood 2608BS (sold)
2020 Grand Design 337RLS
2018 Chevy 2500HD

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
“I was told it had heated tanks”

Famous last words that can cost thousands in the RV world. Verify whether you do or not.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad