cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Youtube TV, a positive experience

lss177
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a long-time Directv home customer, pretty satisfied... recently started using Youtube TV (YTV) while camping, and wanted to report on that very positive experience. As long as my Verizon signal has at least a bar or two, really smooth YTV streaming. YTV has a good selection of channels, including local channels and lots of sports for $40 per month.

When camping, no more hoping I can get some decent over-the-air channels... I've never gone the route of using Directv while camping, looks like a lot of hit-and-miss on that front.

So, I think Satellite services (DTV, Dish) are in big trouble, I think YTV is the future... probably going to punt on home DTV pretty soon.

Give YTV a try, you can get a free trial on the YTV website.

Happy camping!
28 REPLIES 28

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
timmac wrote:
Lwiddis wrote:
And when 5G comes, look out cable and satellite companies. Investment wise Iโ€™m out of them.

Satellite TV will soon be the way of the past, cable will still be OK cause of people needing internet, that's what is keeping them afloat at the moment.

This simply is not true. Satellite TV is not going anywhere unless maybe you meant soon to be 20+ or so years from now. First, there are too many parts of this Country which are not served by either good internet or cable and second, no internet based service offers the line up available from satellite. You can pay for a bunch of them separately but then you might as well have satellite!

Well AT&T has now said satellite is dead, looks like only a few years left..

https://qz.com/1480089/att-just-declared-the-end-of-the-satellite-tv-era-in-the-us/

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/29795974.cfm

Aridon
Explorer
Explorer
We use YTTV and Philo for the additional channels. Virtually no overlap and when we travel we keep our local DVR recordings and still get the new location locals as well.

Excellent services. Even works well over 4g.
2019 Grand Design Momentum 395
2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10

2014.5 DRV Atlanta (sold)

2008 Newmar 4330 (Modified) Sold

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
timmac wrote:
Lwiddis wrote:
And when 5G comes, look out cable and satellite companies. Investment wise Iโ€™m out of them.

Satellite TV will soon be the way of the past, cable will still be OK cause of people needing internet, that's what is keeping them afloat at the moment.

This simply is not true. Satellite TV is not going anywhere unless maybe you meant soon to be 20+ or so years from now. First, there are too many parts of this Country which are not served by either good internet or cable and second, no internet based service offers the line up available from satellite. You can pay for a bunch of them separately but then you might as well have satellite!

Like I said it soon will be gone, not sure when but once internet is everywhere than Satellite/Direct TV will roll over and die, it takes a lot of subscribers to pay in to keep Direct TV up and running, once it gets low enough of money coming in they will shut there doors..

And you need to get a Roko box and you will see there is Thousands of Free Channels as is no monthly fee to watch, Direct TV offers junk for $70.00 per month, at my house we pay about $300 a Year Total for Thousands of Channels that Satellite/Direct TV will never come close to offering..

:R

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
We went with YTTV in our home. Cut the cord for good. I also subscribe to Philo which is pretty cheap to get the Hallmark channel for DW and my man channels.

Pluto TV is pretty neat and its free too.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
lss177 wrote:
The "tiny screen" comment is hilarious, I watch youtube.tv on a 42" tv with a Roku stick in the camper.

There are many ways to skin the technology cat, I was simply giving my opinion on the positive experience I've had with youtube.tv ๐Ÿ™‚
I'll stand corrected on the screen comment (although I imagine there are some who do that), but please stop with the cat skinning reference!! ๐Ÿ™‚
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Solo
Explorer
Explorer
lss177 wrote:

So, I think Satellite services (DTV, Dish) are in big trouble
"Cable and Sat are dead."

Gosh, I hope not for awhile at least! We've gone the route of streaming broadcast TV (Sling), did the OTA antenna upgrade route, and even tried YouTube TV but, when we are on the road in the western US as much as we are, cellular service is certainly not sure-fire and we can be out of complete cell coverage for any provider and any OTA broadcast station for weeks at a time. Sure glad to have DISH at that point that provides our only digital content connection to the outside world.

Yes, streaming services provide options for many RVers that didn't exist several years ago but, having numerous options and researching what works for you is still the ticket. We'll see what happens down the road but, I sure hope that my DISH keeps working!
Solo
2011 Itasca Ellipse 42QD, 450 HP ISL Cummins
2012 Jeep JKU with SMI DUO Braking System

DarthMuffin
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't hold your breath for 5G. It's likely you won't get 5G service anywhere you'd want to camp. 5G is high frequency, high bandwidth, lots of simultaneous connections but the cost is really short range and being blocked by just about anything (buildings, trees, etc). It only makes economic sense for cell companies in urban areas.

But, a 1080p stream takes about 2MB/s. No problem on 4G. I'm looking more forward to wide adoption of 600mhz (band 71) which is the antithesis of 5G.

lss177
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
bucky wrote:
This discussion is not accounting for the cost of the data needed for all of this streaming.
Yep, and watching movies on a tiny screen with horrible sound.

There are many data plans that are $50 or less, unlimited data, no throttling.

The "tiny screen" comment is hilarious, I watch youtube.tv on a 42" tv with a Roku stick in the camper.

There are many ways to skin the technology cat, I was simply giving my opinion on the positive experience I've had with youtube.tv ๐Ÿ™‚

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
I'm currently watching the movie "Age of Ice" on our primary TV with the free Pluto app installed on a FireTVstick connected to our $23/mo AT&T unlimited data hotspot plan with no throttling.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pluto_TV
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
You can watch YouTube on Smart TVs and you can also attach a Media Streaming Player such as Chromecast or Roku to most any TV.

Here's info for YouTube:
https://tv.youtube.com/learn/devices/
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
bucky wrote:
This discussion is not accounting for the cost of the data needed for all of this streaming.
Yep, and watching movies on a tiny screen with horrible sound.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

paulcardoza
Explorer
Explorer
Read up on 5G before you get too excited...... The spectrum to be used will require a repeater/transmitter on most every city block, as the range is extremely poor. If you live in a highly populated area, 5G may come sooner, but in the suburbs and rural areas, you may be waiting for a very long time to get coverage. Never mind out where many CG's are located.

T18skyguy wrote:
Lwiddis wrote:

Yes, as soon as that happens I'll get it all through Verizon, cause I hate Comcast
Paul & Sandra
Plymouth, MA
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
This discussion is not accounting for the cost of the data needed for all of this streaming. Park wifi is barely able to come in strong enough to read email much less streaming TV. Unlimited plans throttle pretty quickly. What am I missing?
Puma 30RKSS

diftw
Explorer
Explorer
CincyGus wrote:
I dropped DTV about a year ago as a cost saving measure. My bill was $135 a month along with a $80 a month Fiberoptic internet bill, I was running about $215 a month on entertainment (Internet+TV).

I downloaded Playstation Vue (Don't need a playstation to use this, available app on any smart TV or RUKU/Amazon fire-stick/etc.

I got all stations that we watched, More sports channels and HBO and Showtime (which we didn't have in our $135 DTV package) for $80 a month (Their max channel selection package), cutting my bill $55. I also got the ability to watch everything I get at home on my phone and tablet. It has a DVR function that records programs you select and keeps them for 30 days.

I use it to Cast/stream to my camper's smart TV through my cell's internet connection when we have good cell service and watch OTA/DVD's or Amazon Prime movies I have downloaded on my tablet that I can cast to the TV when we have poor internet connection.

I'm not a big TV watcher when we are camping but we have the bases covered if it's raining cats and dogs and get stuck inside or want to watch a movie before going to bed.

Weโ€™ve been PlayStation Vue subscribers for a couple of years and really like it. It does travel well with the camper. We arenโ€™t big TV watchers as a rule but nice to have on the road. We use it with an Amazon FireStick and Verizon.
Dave and Anne
2016 Grand Design 337RLS
2015 Ford F350 XLT 6.7l 4x4
Reese Elite 18K Hitch
Rotochocks
Rota Flex by Trail Air Pin Box
Barker 4-wheel 25 gallon tote
Nights Camped in 2009 - 33
2010 - 37
2011 - 31

2012 - 35
2013 - 42