Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Leveling question.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Leveling question.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
GHOST1750

THE GOLDEN STATE My taxes help keep it that way!!

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/18/18 08:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Has anyone else found that when you push the auto level button it sometimes does not completely level and if so do you level manually? I Carry a level with me as I did in my older motor homes. Still getting used to all the new fangled things on this motor home. It is a 2013 Newmar Canyon Star. Still trying to get used to going from diesel to gas.

Just Don and a Chiuahua called Dulce
2003 39' Tradewinds LE
2002 Cavalier tow
Korean Veteran, USAF
FMCA F357981
CC4C
GOOD SAM

Life is a journey, not a destination !

Big Katuna

Deland, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/18/18 09:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have an 05 Fleetwood DP with Powergear auto leveler. If the left side is low, it levels almost perfectly but the left side will still be just a tad low.

If the right side is low, then when finished, the right side will be a tad low.

I’ve recalibrated it but it’s the same. Never really bothered me. If the ac was dripping by the door I would set it to manual and bump it a little to compensate.

My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Tom/Barb

Oak Harbor, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/18/18 10:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Allow it to auto level, then correct as required.

2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

garyemunson

Reno, Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/19/18 04:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Get the manual and go through the recalibration procedure. Find a level parking lot to do it in. Some just never seem to get things perfectly level, though..... Maybe you'll be lucky and have one that does...

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/18 05:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If anyone is moving around in the motorhome when it is auto leveling, it will never level correctly. Doug

Sam Spade

North Central Florida

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/18 06:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Two choices: (3 actually)

Do all of the leveling by hand and forget "automatic".

Use automatic and touch up as needed.

Use automatic.....and then if you don't notice anything that bothers you, leave it there. It doesn't need to be PERFECTLY level.

'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

phillyg

SWFL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/19/18 07:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Auto level is the only function on my rig that actually works 100% of the time.

--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/18 07:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I stopped using the auto level feature. It seems like it would make it way more complicated than it needed to be. Like a Rube Goldberg machine. Twisting and creaking the MH, back and forth, up and down and eventually level but in a way that made no sense often with one or more of the wheels off the ground. Almost like it was continually compensating for itself. I manually level and it's so much easier and simple and I can do it in 1/4 the time. I have level bubbles in the MH but more often than not, a lot of MH surfaces aren't parallel. Like the countertop and the table and the floor are all just a tad bit off. I use the level on my smart phone in various spots and take the median. We also have a large slide and I tend to favor that side a hair higher as I know after a day or so that side will settle down an inch or so because of the weight. I don't stress over it, it's a MH usually on a non level surface with tires and suspension that will settle and move a bit, so I get it as close as I can and move on to other things.

MetalGator

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/19/18 08:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

way2roll wrote:

I stopped using the auto level feature. It seems like it would make it way more complicated than it needed to be. Like a Rube Goldberg machine. Twisting and creaking the MH, back and forth, up and down and eventually level but in a way that made no sense often with one or more of the wheels off the ground. Almost like it was continually compensating for itself. I manually level and it's so much easier and simple and I can do it in 1/4 the time. I have level bubbles in the MH but more often than not, a lot of MH surfaces aren't parallel. Like the countertop and the table and the floor are all just a tad bit off. I use the level on my smart phone in various spots and take the median. We also have a large slide and I tend to favor that side a hair higher as I know after a day or so that side will settle down an inch or so because of the weight. I don't stress over it, it's a MH usually on a non level surface with tires and suspension that will settle and move a bit, so I get it as close as I can and move on to other things.

I also only manually level. Seems to put way less stress on the motorhome. My auto level also seems to bring up the motorhome higher than is necessary. Many times it brings the front wheels off the ground.

2018 Miramar 35.3
2005 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 1500
4 fur kids (Murphy, Monty, Lola and Pinto)

GHOST1750

THE GOLDEN STATE My taxes help keep it that way!!

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/19/18 09:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks everyone. I just thought if it was automatic then it should be automatic. No help from me. Wish I could have just stayed with my old 2003 Tradewinds.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Leveling question.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS